Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Love under the sea .

I'm fine with these looks in a casual setting but rather they not be the official looks they've been as for the past several issues.
    Just kinda clicked for me that Aquaman has kinda been looking more and more like Namor with all the skin showing

I’d go for a sleeveless version of his orange armor since I like seeing the tattoos and I love the beard/long hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Just kinda clicked for me that Aquaman has kinda been looking more and more like Namor with all the skin showing

I’d go for a sleeveless version of his orange armor since I like seeing the tattoos and I love the beard/long hair.
    That's funny. I think Namor's current costume makes him look more like Aquaman .

I think the scalemail would look kind of weird without sleeves but I'm also pro-classic look over anything resembling Mamoa. I still don't even get the point of those tattoos.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Love under the sea .

I'm fine with these looks in a casual setting but rather they not be the official looks they've been as for the past several issues.
    I'm with you.

It's about time the Ivan Reis redesigns came back into play. Those were iconic.

Long beard and hair makes Arthur look more regal than Reis design tho

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I love the beard, just not the long hair.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I love the beard, just not the long hair.
    In my case, I will be fine with the long hair (although I prefer the short hair), but no the beard.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I haven't seen any depiction of modern Arthur that looks as regal as Reis in my opinion. He looks too casual and weary with the hair and beard than regal in my opinion.

The long hair and beard definitely gives him a more “wild” feel but that’s exactly why I like it. A King of the Oceans (or Protector) should always have a storminess and uncontrollable feel to him. The short hair and clean shaven look feels too “pretty boy” to me. Too clean cut for my taste.

Also the tats just look cool imo, and I like them as a symbol of the sea gods blessings for Arthur. They work for me given all the guys I knew from high school who joined the Navy have tattoos. Maoma has them because of his Pacific Islander heritage, and I do love that for DCEU Arthur, but for comic Arthur they kinda remind me of the Vikings or modern day Mariners. I hope they stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The long hair and beard definitely gives him a more “wild” feel but that’s exactly why I like it. A King of the Oceans (or Protector) should always have a storminess and uncontrollable feel to him. The short hair and clean shaven look feels too “pretty boy” to me. Too clean cut for my taste.
    I like a more stoic and restrained Aquaman because that actually strikes me as the type who could keep the peace between something as wild and turbulent as the sea and Atlantean politics. But I don't necesarilly see the harm in him being "pretty" or clean cut. He's not PAD's Aquaman anymore.
    Also the tats just look cool imo, and I like them as a symbol of the sea gods blessings for Arthur. They work for me given all the guys I knew from high school who joined the Navy have tattoos. Maoma has them because of his Pacific Islander heritage, and I do love that for DCEU Arthur, but for comic Arthur they kinda remind me of the Vikings or modern day Mariners. I hope they stick around.
    They don't do anything other than give him an excuse to be shirtless, which just feels silly in my opinion. They're referencing a culture that Arthur's not a part of and seem to just prevent him from wearing his actual costume, so I just don't really see much reason to care about them.

I'm just not into the Momoa synergy in general.

He's definitely not PAD's Aquaman anymore (thank god). I prefer the stoic and restrained Aquaman, too. He's someone who is aloof at times and only really 'real' with Mera or Tula, or Garth when he shows up.

Plus Aquaman's costume is one of the best in comicdom, it's damn iconic. I like him having a beard and being bulky and rugged, but he needs the costume and the aesthetics of Aquaman. The long hair with the beard looks too messy, designwise. It works in the movie because it's a movie, but in sequential art it tends not to look great.

Plus Momoa's Arthur in the AQUAMAN movie is very much closer to comic Aquaman. His arc was about becoming more of the hero and leader people needed and leaving his rougher days behind him. By the end of the flick he's full scale (and scale'd) A-Guy.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-25-2020 at 07:50 PM.

I like a more stoic and restrained Aquaman because that actually strikes me as the type who could keep the peace between something as wild and turbulent as the sea and Atlantean politics. But I don't necesarilly see the harm in him being "pretty" or clean cut. He's not PAD's Aquaman anymore.

They don't do anything other than give him an excuse to be shirtless, which just feels silly in my opinion. They're referencing a culture that Arthur's not a part of and seem to just prevent him from wearing his actual costume, so I just don't really see much reason to care about them.

I'm just not into the Momoa synergy in general.
    Far be it from me to criticize anyone for hating movie synergy

We’ll see what happens once March solicits come out. For now I predict they’re going to keep the synergy with Maoma because well, DC was completely clueless on what to do with Arthur before Johns, and I don’t see them diverting to much from the formula that brought them the biggest success he’s ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    He's definitely not PAD's Aquaman anymore (thank god). I prefer the stoic and restrained Aquaman, too. He's someone who is aloof at times and only really 'real' with Mera or Tula, or Garth when he shows up.

Plus Aquaman's costume is one of the best in comicdom, it's damn iconic. I like him having a beard and being bulky and rugged, but he needs the costume and the aesthetics of Aquaman. The long hair with the beard looks too messy, designwise. It works in the movie because it's a movie, but in sequential art it tends not to look great.

Plus Momoa's Arthur in the AQUAMAN movie is very much closer to comic Aquaman. His arc was about becoming more of the hero and leader people needed and leaving his rougher days behind him. By the end of the flick he's full scale (and scale'd) A-Guy.
    PAD's Aquaman was a much better leader though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I definitely don't see that at all.

That being said I don't need Aquaman to be a magnificent leader, I was talking about how the movie did a great job of showing him grow into a leader (at least the first major steps, which was not easy for him). I prefer him to have a hard time with it since that's what makes me root for him. (And leaping off on a tangent here) I think Aquaman's greatest strength is his ability to really listen to the needs of others and challenge himself to rise to become what they need. This is evident in his 'Call', but also in how he presents himself. He listens and responds.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-26-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I wouldn't say current Arthur is a bad leader, his morals as a leader just happen to conflict a lot with what the hardcore Atlantean fundamentalists want.

I wouldn't say current Arthur is a bad leader, his morals as a leader just happen to conflict a lot with what the hardcore Atlantean fundamentalists want.
    I don't think current one is bad either.