Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    his New 52 stuff was pretty mid for me, but once Rebirth hit, Aquaman and Deathstroke were probably the two most consistent runs. the Rath arc dragged a little for me (like 1 or 2 issue too long for me) but i'd never say the run had ever been bad. I think i msy have skipped the DCYou stuff, what was so bad about it?
    You can probably find articles or reviews explaining peoples grievances of it. My take away was a lot of people didn’t like how Mera was being handled. They were implying she was a villain which I don’t know if they got cold feet on because of the reaction or if it was a plot twist always meant to happen but the fan base was pretty against it.

Some people complained about Aquaman’s characterization but I didn’t see any problem with it tbh. I think there’s going to be slight differences whenever a different writer comes aboard a character. I think as long as you keep the fundamental theme of the character and what they stand for, which I thought was kept.

Overall though it was just a lot of just way too fast which I could understand why people would dislike that. Mera was being presented as a villain, Aquaman’s supporting cast was just him and an Alien named Etriax, He got additional new powers which he showcased the hell out of (I personally enjoyed the Poseidon Blessing)

To be honest I’d argue Abnett’s run contradicts more stuff that’s been established for Aquaman then Bunn’s did but it’s all in keeping the element of who the character is at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I thought Wonder Woman’s costume looked cool in DCYou just wasn’t something I’d associate with her though.
    It was just way too busy and overdesigned. It just didn't seem very popular with her fandom in general.
    I think the vulnerability that KSD brings to these character is a refreshing and much needed turn for the characters. not ever hero needs to be stoic and super tough, that doesn't feel like a person to me at least, it's cool seeing these characters grapple with things and experience anxiety about things a real person would feel anxious about.
    I think that vulnerability has always been a part of the character, particularly when Geoff Johns and even Abnett were writing him, he just might be trying to hide it less now that he's not a king anymore.
    his New 52 stuff was pretty mid for me, but once Rebirth hit, Aquaman and Deathstroke were probably the two most consistent runs. the Rath arc dragged a little for me (like 1 or 2 issue too long for me) but i'd never say the run had ever been bad. I think i may have skipped the DCYou stuff, what was so bad about it?
    For me the New 52 stuff was the bar that the Rebirth stuff had to live up to, and for the most part I think Abnett succeeded. Although I don't think Rath was as good a last villain as The Dead King.
    Some people complained about Aquaman’s characterization but I didn’t see any problem with it tbh. I think there’s going to be slight differences whenever a different writer comes aboard a character. I think as long as you keep the fundamental theme of the character and what they stand for, which I thought was kept.

Overall though it was just a lot of just way too fast which I could understand why people would dislike that. Mera was being presented as a villain, Aquaman’s supporting cast was just him and an Alien named Etriax, He got additional new powers which he showcased the hell out of (I personally enjoyed the Poseidon Blessing)

To be honest I’d argue Abnett’s run contradicts more stuff that’s been established for Aquaman then Bunn’s did but it’s all in keeping the element of who the character is at the end of the day.
    We also got Garth back but it was kind of a rough re-introduction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

We also got Garth back but it was kind of a rough re-introduction.
    If you look back at Bunn’s run I’d argue his depiction of Garth was better then what we got from Abnett in Titans. I don’t know if it changed after Titans Hunt but with Drowned Earth tie-in Garth still seemed rather over aggressive. Which never really seemed like a character trait of his atleast Post-Crisis.

I think might only complaint with Bunn’s Garth was he didn’t seem to know Aquaman on a personal level but that could of been due to editorial

If you look back at Bunn’s run I’d argue his depiction of Garth was better then what we got from Abnett in Titans. I don’t know if it changed after Titans Hunt but with Drowned Earth tie-in Garth still seemed rather over aggressive. Which never really seemed like a character trait of his atleast Post-Crisis.

I think might only complaint with Bunn’s Garth was he didn’t seem to know Aquaman on a personal level but that could of been due to editorial
    Abnett's Garth was really off in Titans but he was a lot better when he used him in the solo book.

Maybe something about being on the Titans just threw off Abnett's mojo.

BANNED

Could of definitely been the team dynamic, and wanting a member be a bit impulsive and brash which is how he wrote Garth in Titans. Should of been Gnark in my opinion.

I didn’t even notice how different Garth was in the Aquaman book under Abnett, quite weird like he was being written by two different writers.

BANNED

Been so long since I’ve seen Aquaman in his classic look!
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.com...lk-babies/amp/

Finally!
    Wait..there’s a new writer? Higgins? Aight, I’ll take him over KSD any day.

So....the baby was a ruse? :/

BANNED

No this is a prequel type thing. It’s a story that takes place in the past before Mera finds out she’s pregnant.

Some of the preview dialogue bugs me like Mera getting upset about the baby question saying they just got back from a mission where people died, so why are they having a party?

Regardless it’s nice to see Aquaman in the orange and green again

Man, it's great to see Arthur and Mera in those costumes again, it's great to get back to classic Aquaman again, and it's just nice seeing them together like this.

Feels like it's been a really long time since we've seen any of this. Characterization seems generally on-point, so I'm looking forward to it.

And see, Batman can be a good friend sometimes .
    No this is a prequel type thing. It’s a story that takes place in the past before Mera finds out she’s pregnant.

Some of the preview dialogue bugs me like Mera getting upset about the baby question saying they just got back from a mission where people died, so why are they having a party?

Regardless it’s nice to see Aquaman in the orange and green again
    It reminds me how Red Lantern Mera in Blackest Night screamed how she didn't want to have children. Maybe it's a sub-conscious issue she's always had.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Finally!
    Wait..there’s a new writer? Higgins? Aight, I’ll take him over KSD any day.

So....the baby was a ruse? :/
    It's a fill-in issue. Solicits have spoiled their child's gender: they're having a daughter.

oh this is going to be a prequel issue with a different creative? I'll give it a shot I guess, because I would like to keep my ongoing Aquaman collection up to date, but I'm not super excited to read this.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I'm excited to see Aquaman wearing his scalemail again .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm excited to see Aquaman wearing his scalemail again .
    Yeah, it's nice to have a clean-shaven Arthur in his classic look, if only for a month. Even in the 100-page giant books, he's got the damn beard.

DC's killing me, man. If I lived in the DCU, I'd totally slip Clark $20 to heat vision shave Arthur when he wasn't looking.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Can't wait for this!

I have grown to really like KSD's run but I wish Aquaman was back to his classic look and that Mera was more active in the stories (which I think KSD is slowly bring back).

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Can't wait for this!

I have grown to really like KSD's run but I wish Aquaman was back to his classic look and that Mera was more active in the stories (which I think KSD is slowly bring back).
    Hey brother, I'm with you there. KSD really likes bearded Arthur, though, so strap in with Frontier and I on this wild ride. At least the run is written and drawn well! I can appreciate the beard when the book looks as good as it has. For what it's worth, if we're only getting one issue of clean-shaven Arthur and classic Mera, Lopresti is a damn fine choice for that issue.

More Mera, though. Please, more Mera!
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-13-2020 at 09:07 PM.