Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    I did not refer to your outlook of Mera, but at DC. She has some real potential, but DC doesn't even try to promote the character. They gave her a graphic novel and this it basically.
    As I written before, she is very interesting and has some unique characteristics from the rest, being a Queen, a warrior, wife, mum. She also has a Hawkish trait
    To be fair, most of those traits are new. Before Johns, Mera was in very bad shape and everyone treated her like dirt. I like the silver age a lot, warts and all, but after Manta killed their kid she just slowly morphed into his awful ex wife who sometimes cared about him. The less said about PAD's Aquaman, the better.

Since then, she's essentially his co-star, got a mini and a graphic novel all her own and got to be on the Justice League in his place for a bit. I think they're aware she's popular and I suspect she'll feature prominently in Aquaman stuff from here on out. As for her own book? Supergirl and Batgirl are bookless right now so it's not looking great for Mera, but who knows, maybe Aquaman's book got held back because they want to make a splash with two books.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    To be fair, most of those traits are new. Before Johns, Mera was in very bad shape and everyone treated her like dirt. I like the silver age a lot, warts and all, but after Manta killed their kid she just slowly morphed into his awful ex wife who sometimes cared about him. The less said about PAD's Aquaman, the better.

Since then, she's essentially his co-star, got a mini and a graphic novel all her own and got to be on the Justice League in his place for a bit. I think they're aware she's popular and I suspect she'll feature prominently in Aquaman stuff from here on out. As for her own book? Supergirl and Batgirl are bookless right now so it's not looking great for Mera, but who knows, maybe Aquaman's book got held back because they want to make a splash with two books.
    I am aware that Johns dragged from being an obscure character. Since Johns she has great potential, so yes I think they should exploit that. Agreed on PAD's Aquaman. Loved his world building, but stops there.

It's more likely they could change the main book's title to reflect her in it, from what I read.
    DC will not increase the numbers of books in the next future so I doubt we will have two books.
    Keep in mind that DC is reducing not increasing books and AFTER Having canceled books like Red Hood, hawkman, supergirl etc they surely won't give her a solo. Even on account that her solo basically flopped.
    They are pressed for profits from AT&T so they will go after that, without taking many risks.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yeah I'd be all for the title being AQUAMAN AND MERA, or having 2 books.

Finally ended the whole Dan Abnett's Aquaman run and honestly, in spite of having a very so and so ending with Drowned, i did enjoy it most of the time. Soon i'll star Kelly's run to see if it lives up to the hype.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Reminds me of Superman and Lois...

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I am traditionalist when it comes to comic titles but yeah it should reflect what the book is, therefore it should change to AQUAMAN AND MERA.
    Two books? lets start having one, as there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Finally ended the whole Dan Abnett's Aquaman run and honestly, in spite of having a very so and so ending with Drowned, i did enjoy it most of the time. Soon i'll star Kelly's run to see if it lives up to the hype.
    Abnett's run could have been a hit and ended a miss. It started on the promise of Rebirth(therefore John's vision) it brought back the enthusiasm Bunn killed in New52. But as always Editorial decisions limited Abnett's path. First 15 issues were good and fun, but.....
    The book started to lose wind in its sails. It was the first Rebirth book to stop double shipping. At the end of his run it was nowhere near to fulfill the promise it started with.

The never ending Corum Rath was stretched beyond need, just to accommodate Abnett's Mera solo(Btw It flopped). The book was full of contradictions. Mera was deemed not worthy of being Arthur's spouse by the widowhood, the later than made her a Queen. Same Mera who wanted to leave Atlantis because she hated them, accepts to be Queen immediately. The run was basically under Editorial input, keep them apart as possible. The art was great but not enough. Fans became restless and sales dropped. A Similar fate occurs to KSD, with difference that her run was a gem, not perfect, as you will find out, but truly awesome.

A poll taken among Aquafans on the best page around for Aquaman, Abnett's run places 4th after Johns, Parker and KellySue. Only one arc from his run made it to be included among the best of the decade, it ended nearly at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Yeah, while Abnett's run ended with kind of a wet fart, it was strong overall and I greatly enjoyed it. And the artists he got on that book-- maaan it was a good volume. Same with KSD, actually. Aquaman's rebirth run was just beautiful to look at month-in, month-out.

I'll say that the run is consistent until issue 33, it start slipping after that and pretty much splash by the time of Drowned, still not as bad as i was expecting.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

It kind of lost me a little when he got usurped as king for the umpteenth time and then suddenly, for some reason, Mera makes sense to be the queen, but it was still a pretty solid run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It kind of lost me a little when he got usurped as king for the umpteenth time and then suddenly, for some reason, Mera makes sense to be the queen, but it was still a pretty solid run.
    Yeah, they went from "she's an outsider" to "kill the half outsider, all hail the outsider!" But Atlantis is stupid like that.

Reminds me of Superman and Lois...
    May I suggest that next years appreciation tab would be an amalgamation of both Arthur and Mera's thread.
    Both will have few pages since there will be not comic around at least for the coming months. It could also include ANDRINA appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, while Abnett's run ended with kind of a wet fart, it was strong overall and I greatly enjoyed it. And the artists he got on that book-- maaan it was a good volume. Same with KSD, actually. Aquaman's rebirth run was just beautiful to look at month-in, month-out.
    KSD's run was superior by all means to Abnett. He left her a book in a dead end and she righted the ship, costing her part of her run to do it.

Yeah, i'm not sure if i got the reasoning for that decision, it was just weird.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    May I suggest that next years appreciation tab would be an amalgamation of both Arthur and Mera's thread.
    Both will have few pages since there will be not comic around at least for the coming months. It could also include ANDRINA appreciation.
    Well, we already talk enough about Mera in Arthur's thread, more or less :0.
    KSD's run was superior by all means to Abnett. He left her a book in a dead end and she righted the ship, costing her part of her run to do it.
    I kind of preferred Abnett's Arthur and Mera but there wasn't that much distinction between the two.

Well, we already talk enough about Mera in Arthur's thread, more or less :0.

I kind of preferred Abnett's Arthur and Mera but there wasn't that much distinction between the two.
    Eoa49QnW4Ak7uJz.jpg

from Future state, looks like the two are wearing some sort of Royal garments, have they returned to Atlantis or who knows Xebel?