Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Hahaha, thank you! Well, if you're gonna do something, might as well do it right!
    ^^^Heck yeah!

Also, you need to do more of these...

This never even crossed my mind but now I want it. Thanks OP I both love and hate you.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    This never even crossed my mind but now I want it. Thanks OP I both love and hate you.
    It's funny I really wonder what its would have been like if he got the chance too do this.
    That plus the Illuminati books/avengers world, but in dc.
    Sounds like a big paradigm shift for dc
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    It's funny I really wonder what its would have been like if he got the chance too do this.
    That plus the Illuminati books/avengers world, but in dc.
    Sounds like a big paradigm shift for dc
    I'm not sure. How do Marvel's Illuminati differ from Batman and his behind the scenes prep? DC's obvious had other multi-versal threats and huge shifts in universes so the magnitude of the threats is there. And outside of Batman, there have been scenes with Kal, Diana, and Bruce discussing situations. The question then is would the Trinity go through with a plan if the rest of the JL didn't want to or though it was wrong?

Ultimate Member

I never even considered this, and now, regarding how Shang-Chi, in particular, sort of felt 'thrown on' to the team (and was mostly ignored), and there were all those Superman clones (like Hyperion, practically the poster-child for Marvel Superman clones), and Smasher = Ultra Boy, I can't not see him as the Avengers' 'Karate Kid.'

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Legion was only available for Bendis because of Doomsday Clock's delays. It wasn't originally meant to come back until DDC ended, and had it finished a year earlier like it was meant to, then it seems there were other plans for them (that didn't involve Jon Kent - I wonder if it might have used Conner instead, since Young Justice wouldn't have been planned either before Bendis came to DC). That's why Saturn Girl was erased in DDC #11 - the plans for her had changed.
    I think it is pretty much the opposite. When Bendis came in he was given control of the direction of DC which caused Johns and Frank to have to rework Doomsday Clock which caused the delays. Benids wanted everything to do with the Superman books and want Legion so he got it and Johns original plan was scrapped. The delays are all on Didio and Bendis.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

All this Illuminati talk got me thinking about how there must be a Legion Parallel that Hickman's was loosely working off of. Then it hit me: The United Planets

It's strange, I know, but I'm actually quite confidant (or about as confident as someone who doesn't know him personally at all) that this is where Hickman's sensibilities would've lead him had he been given the Legion instead of Avengers. For one, all of the members of Hickman's Illuminati are either leaders of their nations, the embodiment of their nation's ideals, or leading experts in a field. They are basically a governing body that happen to have the trappings of a super team. We had Captain America, Captain Britain, and Prof X who are the embodiment of their nations ideals. He had Beast, Prof Hulk, Reed, and Tony who were leading minds in their respective fields. Then of course he had Black Bolt, Namor, and Black Panther who were actual leaders of their nations.

I fascinated by this idea because it seems to imply that if Hickman had access to to the concept of the UP and the heightened politics that come with it, he'd have a very interesting story to tell with it. You can tell Legion as a whole and 5 Years Later particularly were formative for him. In fact looking back at his Fantastic Four run he carved out time to deal with the politics of about a dozen Atlantean races looking to unify. That was a far more overt homage, but this one is still very much in that wheelhouse, I feel.

And, just for the hell of it, I'll list some more super overt parallels that I couldn't find a place for.

- When Smasher comes home to show her dad her and Sam's baby, she also goes into a sort of grove where a statue of her dead superhero grandpa is, ans she pays her respects. This is basically just the Legion memorial grove on Winath from 5 Years Later.

- Proxima Midnight has a lance that when thrown turns into "unavoidable toxic light beams" It's literally just Darkseid's Omega Effect. Not convinced? How about the fact that the Omega Effect/the Omega Sanction is called "the death that is life" and Proxima's lance was forged from a dying star and she describes it as life and death.

- Starbrand gets a blue suit to replace his read one further making him Hickman's Superboy.

- Time Runs Out is a time skip that disbands our team and leaves them in surprising places like 5 Years Later. That's also when Sunspot buys AIM and solidifies his Sun Boy parallels.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-10-2020 at 12:04 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.