Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thought I might as well post this from Injustice: Year Zero. Black Canary with her mother, Black Canary.....also Jay and Alan but let’s focus on the Canaries shall we.

378E9B93-8B80-4D78-8C5D-3746362E098C.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Thought I might as well post this from Injustice: Year Zero. Black Canary with her mother, Black Canary.....also Jay and Alan but let’s focus on the Canaries shall we.

I love how they differentiate in jacket lengths .

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    When did BC become an elite hth combatant? From her origins in 1947, she's always been somebody that can thump skulls, but somewhere along the road, she entered the ranks of Lady Shiva, Batman, and The Bronze Tiger. That's not the way I remember her from the 1970s when she reentered the DCU.

So what's the point at which she went from Good to Great?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Gail Simone's rub could be thought of as "the rise of Black Canary" as it's probably where this happened the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, I think that sounds about right.

At the very least I think Simone was the first to really get into Dinah and what she's capable of, and maybe writers afterwards have built on it and made Dinah even more badass, but I think we have Simone to thank for modern Dinah and what she's capable of doing. Simone's BoP really seemed to elevate Canary and make her a much bigger deal than she had been before, despite the decades of history. Or so it seems to me, anyway.
    Though Gail Simone expanded the concept and got into the nitty gritty of Dinah being an elite martial artist, Chuck Dixin wrote Lynx recognizing Dinah as a “master combatant” in the “Small world” of martial arts, in the very first Birds of Prey one-shot in 1996. She even recognized D in an undercover guise.
    So it would seem that when raising Black Canary’s profile became a thing, the focus on her being an ass kicker par excellence became her “hook”.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    When did BC become an elite hth combatant? From her origins in 1947, she's always been somebody that can thump skulls, but somewhere along the road, she entered the ranks of Lady Shiva, Batman, and The Bronze Tiger. That's not the way I remember her from the 1970s when she reentered the DCU.

So what's the point at which she went from Good to Great?
    I would say probably the late 90's to early to mid 2000's (pre-flashpoint). Around that time she was around a lot as a member of the Birds of Prey, the JSA, and then the Justice League of America.
    Yeah, I think that sounds about right.

At the very least I think Simone was the first to really get into Dinah and what she's capable of, and maybe writers afterwards have built on it and made Dinah even more badass, but I think we have Simone to thank for modern Dinah and what she's capable of doing. Simone's BoP really seemed to elevate Canary and make her a much bigger deal than she had been before, despite the decades of history. Or so it seems to me, anyway.
    I would say it started around Dixon's BoP. Dinah had hit a low point in her history prior (the torture under the Mike Grell run) and Dixon's run was instrumental in showing Dinah as a powerful, capable heroine able to kick ass under any circumstance. I remember a scene set in underwater where she beats Cheshire and a whole bunch of other elite martial artists with ease while Babs on her earphone is rattling on about how dangerous and elite they were.

Simone didn't reinvent the wheel so much as she built on what was already established and went on to explicitly point out that yes, Dinah is an elite martial artist who is in the top 4 of the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I would say it started around Dixon's BoP. Dinah had hit a low point in her history prior (the torture under the Mike Grell run) and Dixon's run was instrumental in showing Dinah as a powerful, capable heroine able to kick ass under any circumstance. I remember a scene set in underwater where she beats Cheshire and a whole bunch of other elite martial artists with ease while Babs on her earphone is rattling on about how dangerous and elite they were.

Simone didn't reinvent the wheel so much as she built on what was already established and went on to explicitly point out that yes, Dinah is an elite martial artist who is in the top 4 of the DCU.
    Black Canary vs Cheshire and the Ravens....good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I love how they differentiate in jacket lengths .
    Which is which?
    Surprised they didn't put Dinah Sr in pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Which is which?
    Surprised they didn't put Dinah Sr in pants.
    The one with the shorter jacket and the greyer hair is Dinah Sr. (the one on the left).

Here is a better shot of her in the group image

Injustice-Year-Zero-Justice-Society-of-America-JSA.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    I'm glad she got a BoP cover without Harley plastered on the front (even if she's in all of the background images).

Wasn't expecting to see her JLI costume again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm glad she got a BoP cover without Harley plastered on the front (even if she's in all of the background images).

Wasn't expecting to see her JLI costume again.
    Me neither. But I kinda love that it was brought up

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    Me neither. But I kinda love that it was brought up
    Everybody's got that one embarrassing outfit in their closet....

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Everybody's got that one embarrassing outfit in their closet....
    Lol. True! The 80's were not kind...

Just posting the latest Black Canary edit I worked on. This is not about diminishing Jurnee's portrayal or voicing any sort of opinion about the casting of Black Canary. I just noticed this thread has been inactive and wanted to share something I worked on and maybe breathe some life into this appreciation thread.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 10-27-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Though Gail Simone expanded the concept and got into the nitty gritty of Dinah being an elite martial artist, Chuck Dixin wrote Lynx recognizing Dinah as a “master combatant” in the “Small world” of martial arts, in the very first Birds of Prey one-shot in 1996. She even recognized D in an undercover guise.
    So it would seem that when raising Black Canary’s profile became a thing, the focus on her being an ass kicker par excellence became her “hook”.
    Ah that's true. Simone and Dixon tend to blur together in my head but Dixon is the one who started the rehabilitation of Dinah after all the stuff with Grell (and I'd argue Dinah's role in The Ray wasn't a huge help either).

And I like the fan art with the classic costume, a post or so above. Who's the woman? She looks vaguely familiar but I can't place her.....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ah that's true. Simone and Dixon tend to blur together in my head but Dixon is the one who started the rehabilitation of Dinah after all the stuff with Grell (and I'd argue Dinah's role in The Ray wasn't a huge help either).

And I like the fan art with the classic costume, a post or so above. Who's the woman? She looks vaguely familiar but I can't place her.....
    If you are talking about the image I posted it's Katheryn Winnick. She is most known for playing Lagertha in the show Vikings.