Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Don't know if anyone plays DCU Online, but if you do and you haven't heard, Dinah's Rebirth jacket/shirt has been added to the game as of today as part of the final round of vanity items for the Birds of Prey DLC. Took long enough to get it, but it looks damn fine.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Don't know if anyone plays DCU Online, but if you do and you haven't heard, Dinah's Rebirth jacket/shirt has been added to the game as of today as part of the final round of vanity items for the Birds of Prey DLC. Took long enough to get it, but it looks damn fine.
    Every year I get the itch to play again, and I gotta be honest, I'm feeling it. Shame I don't have the time. Last time I played was for the JSA episode around the WW movie.

Princess Weekes of The Mary Sue proposes her idea for how to do a Black Canary spin-off movie.

https://www.themarysue.com/how-to-bu...-prey-spinoff/

Extraordinary Member

Art by Travis Moore with colors by Otto Schmidt

Extraordinary Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but there is a Black Canary novel coming out.

https://ew.com/books/black-canary-br...ro-first-look/

The DC Comics superhero's origin story is about to unravel in Alexandra Monir's novel Black Canary: Breaking Silence — and EW has your first look at the cover and an exclusive excerpt from the novel ahead of its Dec. 29 release.

The book is set in a near-future world where women have no rights after Gotham City is turned into a dictatorship by the Court of Owls. Dinah Lance can't continue to live in a reality that prevents women from working, learning, making music, and being free. But the bad guys better watch out because she's ready to boldly fight back with everything she has — including her song.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but there is a Black Canary novel coming out.

https://ew.com/books/black-canary-br...ro-first-look/

The DC Comics superhero's origin story is about to unravel in Alexandra Monir's novel Black Canary: Breaking Silence — and EW has your first look at the cover and an exclusive excerpt from the novel ahead of its Dec. 29 release.

The book is set in a near-future world where women have no rights after Gotham City is turned into a dictatorship by the Court of Owls. Dinah Lance can't continue to live in a reality that prevents women from working, learning, making music, and being free. But the bad guys better watch out because she's ready to boldly fight back with everything she has — including her song.
    Looks like an interesting take on Dinah (I could complain about the music aspect...but I won't).

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Id really like to see the return of Dinah Laurel Lance to the DC unvierse, the one who is a legacy character, taking up the mantle from her mother. I know they practically merged the two into 1 but...Id rather they be separate.
    Do I understand correctly that the most current version of Dinah the Black Canary is NOT a legacy character? I gave up on trying to keep up with the details of each rebooted DCU...

If that’s the case and they decide to bring back the Big Dinah and Dinah Jr dynamic, in a fanfic head cannon style take, utilize a page from the maligned “Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey” storyline and have Dinah Sr (fancasting Ali Larter) as the pre-Batman urban legend hero of Gotham, and then have Dinah Jr as the current reigning Black Canary.
    Art by Otto Schmidt

I mean it’s hard to define what is still in canon with the current continuity we have. As it stands right now it is the remains of New 52 merged with aspects of pre-flashpoint and everything new since Rebirth.

Right now what we know is that the current Black Canary is Dinah Lance who was a spy for the government and a rockstar who has a relationship with Green Arrow and is a member of the Justice League. At any point they could reintroduce aspects like the birds of prey or the JSA and her mother but for now this what we know.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Boisterously Confused

When did BC become an elite hth combatant? From her origins in 1947, she's always been somebody that can thump skulls, but somewhere along the road, she entered the ranks of Lady Shiva, Batman, and The Bronze Tiger. That's not the way I remember her from the 1970s when she reentered the DCU.

So what's the point at which she went from Good to Great?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    When did BC become an elite hth combatant? From her origins in 1947, she's always been somebody that can thump skulls, but somewhere along the road, she entered the ranks of Lady Shiva, Batman, and The Bronze Tiger. That's not the way I remember her from the 1970s when she reentered the DCU.

I would say probably the late 90's to early to mid 2000's (pre-flashpoint). Around that time she was around a lot as a member of the Birds of Prey, the JSA, and then the Justice League of America.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Batman wasn't always that elite, either. In the 1970s, he and Dinah were often treated similarly in kick-butt skills. Not that it was ever consistent, but I kinda miss the days when a handful of thugs represented an actual threat to human heroes (at least when the plot demanded it).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-27-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

Gail Simone's rub could be thought of as "the rise of Black Canary" as it's probably where this happened the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Gail Simone's rub could be thought of as "the rise of Black Canary" as it's probably where this happened the most.
    Yeah, I think that sounds about right.

At the very least I think Simone was the first to really get into Dinah and what she's capable of, and maybe writers afterwards have built on it and made Dinah even more badass, but I think we have Simone to thank for modern Dinah and what she's capable of doing. Simone's BoP really seemed to elevate Canary and make her a much bigger deal than she had been before, despite the decades of history. Or so it seems to me, anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Looking good, Dinah .