Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Other than maybe the 3rd one, solely because of the yellow accents, I have no idea why Jurnee's Black Canary look would be considered any less comics accurate than the others, and in some ways it's more accurate.Attachment 96325
    Laurel's second costume is probably the best of all of these in my opinion. Jurnee's looks too much like normal clothes.

None of these are my ideal Canary look, mind you.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Laurel's second costume is probably the best of all of these in my opinion. Jurnee's looks too much like normal clothes.

None of these are my ideal Canary look, mind you.
    Oh I understand liking one more than another, I just don't think Jurnee's is any less "comics accurate" than the others.

BANNED

Other than maybe the 3rd one, solely because of the yellow accents, I have no idea why Jurnee's Black Canary look would be considered any less comics accurate than the others, and in some ways it's more accurate.Attachment 96325
    "Black" Canary...Man... x________X

-____-

They couldn't help themselves. They found a character called "Black something" and just couldn't help themselves. I mean, they could have at least dressed her in black to make it seem like maybe they're references her clothes. I don't even mind calling this out because it's just so face-palm-y it's at a comedic level
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-05-2020 at 01:38 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    "Black" Canary...Man... x________X

-____-

They couldn't help themselves. They found a character called "Black something" and just couldn't help themselves. I mean, they could have at least dressed her in black to make it seem like maybe they're references her clothes. I don't even mind calling this out because it's just so face-palm-y it's at a comedic level
    That's not why they did it.

If "they couldn't help themselves" then they would have also cast a Black actor to play "Black Mask". They also didn't do it just to have a Black person for the sake of diversity, otherwise they could've just as easily cast Jurnee as Huntress since that character has been depicted as mixed race.

They consciously chose to make the character of Black Canary mixed race and there are 2, possibly 3 logical reason for this.

1. They had a blond/white actress, a brunette/white actress, a brunette/Latina actress and a brunette/Filipino actress. They probably just wanted a way to differentiate between the blonds without taking the character too far from the source material.

2. They liked the idea of a woman of color having the super power of raising her voice in defense of herself.

3. They liked the idea of the 70's funk vibe for the character and thought that that lent itself to a Black actress, but again, they didn't want to go too far from the source material, so mixed race.

And odds are it was a combination of a couple, if not all of these things.
    Last edited by Stromberg; 05-05-2020 at 03:05 AM.

Oh I understand liking one more than another, I just don't think Jurnee's is any less "comics accurate" than the others.
    Maybe it's close to one outfit Dinah wore in the comics but it also doesn't scream "Black Canary" to me either.

That's not why they did it.

If "they couldn't help themselves" then they would have also cast a Black actor to play "Black Mask". They also didn't do it just to have a Black person for the sake of diversity, otherwise they could've just as easily cast Jurnee as Huntress since that character has been depicted as mixed race.

They consciously chose to make the character of Black Canary mixed race and there are 2, possibly 3 logical reason for this.

1. They had a blond/white actress, a brunette/white actress, a brunette/Latina actress and a brunette/Filipino actress. They probably just wanted a way to differentiate between the blonds without taking the character too far from the source material.

2. They liked the idea of a woman of color having the super power of raising her voice in defense of herself.

3. They liked the idea of the 70's funk vibe for the character and thought that that lent itself to a Black actress, but again, they didn't want to go too far from the source material, so mixed race.

And odds are it was a combination of a couple, if not all of these things.
    There's a fourth option.

Jurnee Smollet was simply the best of the people who auditioned and that's why they hired her.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There's a fourth option.

Jurnee Smollet was simply the best of the people who auditioned and that's why they hired her.
    I would agree especially since I think she was perfect in the part, but I do remember after they looked at Jodie Comer and Vanessa Kirby (neither of whom I thought were right for the part), they announced that they were looking to cast a mixed race actress for the part and shortly after that they announced that they were looking at Jurnee and Gugu M'batha Raw.

But I guess that doesn't necessarily mean anything and maybe you're right, maybe she was just the best person that auditioned. I certainly think she was the right person for the role.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Black Canary as she appeared in Green Arrow #50 (May, 2019). Art by Javier Fernandez.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Black Canary as she appeared in Green Arrow #50 (May, 2019). Art by Javier Fernandez.

My main takeway "wait, did Dinah not go to college?"

My main takeway "wait, did Dinah not go to college?"
    I never imagined her having gone. I think it's because all the jobs she had in the times I was reading her were ones one did not need a college degree for.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I never imagined her having gone. I think it's because all the jobs she had in the times I was reading her were ones one did not need a college degree for.
    I've actually never thought about it, but it doesn't seem like she would have gone to college. Maybe she tried and it wasn't for her. I would think that after Highschool she was more educated by her martial arts teachers and mentors.

I've actually never thought about it, but it doesn't seem like she would have gone to college. Maybe she tried and it wasn't for her. I would think that after Highschool she was more educated by her martial arts teachers and mentors.
    I think she might want to have a formal and complete education, but I guess it would depend which version of Dinah we're talking about.

I don't think YJ!Dinah would've been psychoanalyzing kids if she didn't have some kind of degree or professional training in that stuff.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think she might want to have a formal and complete education, but I guess it would depend which version of Dinah we're talking about.

I don't think YJ!Dinah would've been psychoanalyzing kids if she didn't have some kind of degree or professional training in that stuff.
    Well formal and complete are two different things but I hadn't thought about the YJ version.

I was thinking comic version, but you have a point about YJ-Cartoon version. Even though, as a review pointed out, she wasn't very good at it back in season 1 (she seemed to be promoting the Wally/Artemis 'ship, which was unprofessional and really dropped the ball on Superboy by totally leading that he felt "X" when actually he felt "Y" if I am remembering correctly - it's been a while).

Well formal and complete are two different things
    Very much so - and what's "complete" - legally required is what I would say qualified as complete, and I'm sure she has that. Others would say bachelor's degree and still others an advanced degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I was thinking comic version, but you have a point about YJ-Cartoon version. Even though, as a review pointed out, she wasn't very good at it back in season 1 (she seemed to be promoting the Wally/Artemis 'ship, which was unprofessional and really dropped the ball on Superboy by totally leading that he felt "X" when actually he felt "Y" if I am remembering correctly - it's been a while).
    I don't remember her "promoting" the ship so much as addressing Wally and Artemis' feelings about each other when it got brought up.