Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    https://www.themarysue.com/jurnee-sm...anary-to-life/

Jurnee Smollett-Bell Talks Bringing Black Canary to Life and Who She’d Like to See the Birds of Prey Go up Against Next
    It's cool how enthusiastic she is about the role .

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Here is a short video of Dinah's introduction in the new BoP movie if people are interested in seeing something prior to the release of the movie.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 02-04-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Here is a short video of Dinah's introduction in the new BoP movie if people are interested in seeing something prior to the release of the movie.
    The clip had me up until I heard Harley's narration .

It's interesting seeing all the different takes on Dinah as a singer. The comics, Arrow, and now this have had completely different takes on it.

Astonishing Member

I think it's definitely possible we this version of BC is the most comics-accurate representation we have so far--which is weird because the early criticism was that she was going to be "BC in name only". I guess we'll see in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I think it's definitely possible we this version of BC is the most comics-accurate representation we have so far--which is weird because the early criticism was that she was going to be "BC in name only". I guess we'll see in a few days.
    Everything I have seen from this interpretation so far I can live with or grow to like in terms of her characterization but, I will never get used to some of the aesthetic fashion and costuming choices that were made. I will see the movie tomorrow and will be able to judge for myself then based on my viewing how I feel about this take on the character.

But on a positive note, I am excited to see the Canary Cry on the big screen. With the budget and production, this is obviously going to be the most epic representation of her power that we have received in a live action medium thus far.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 02-04-2020 at 01:13 PM.

I just got out of Birds of Prey and wanted to give my thoughts on Black Canary.

Non-spoiler:

This depiction of Canary, in my opinion, is a lot better than the advertising seems to suggests and there are some interesting seeds planted that could easily be explored in a prequel or a sequel. Aside from 2 or 3 moments in the film I thought her characterization was on point with the comics and a lot of my criticisms are, unfortunately, superficial. No. I am not talking about her race, but rather how I still firmly believe that the costume department let Jurnee and the character down hard.

Spoiler:

spoilers:

pros:

- Dinah, at first, is depicted as a reluctant hero who ends up getting involved in this mess because she cares too much. I found that to be very reminiscent and reflective of the comic character. Dinah first gets recruited by Black Mask to become his driver because he sees her fighting to protect Harley from being sexually assaulted and possibly worse in an alley. After that she gets further involved because she cares about Cassandra's well-being, which very much reminded me of Canary and Sin.

- The aforementioned fight in the alley was by far my favorite. She looked great, it showcased her strength and skill as a fighter and was the first moment where I thought to myself, "Damn. Now I get that this depiction could really work".

- The Canary Cry shows up once, but that is absolutely fine. I feel like they definitely saved it for a part of the movie that made sense. I am also glad that much like her comic book counterpart, she mostly relied on her martial arts prowess as opposed to simply falling back on her metagene. The reason why she doesn't want to use her power or even be a hero is quickly explained and could be fleshed out more, but it was clearly communicated to the audience. Also, I was quite curious as to what her cry would sound like and even though I was a little underwhelmed at first, after it was over I thought what they went for made absolute sense. Her cry sounded like a modulated scream- nothing too high pitched or bird like.

cons:

- As mentioned above, the costume department and other members of the crew, in my opinion let Jurnee and the character down. I have no problem with her race or her hair, but much more with her piercing (I understand that Jurnee wears that in real life, as well) and her costumes. Not only does the character's wardrobe not resemble the Dinah Lance we know from the comics enough for my taste, the piercing was quite distracting. I don't simply mean distracting because it was something in the center of her face, but it also kept catching light and essentially glowed on screen.

This is a low-res image from the trailer, but I guarantee you it was in the movie, as well and was projected on a huge screen. I felt that every time the light caught the piercing it momentarily took me out of the scene and it took me a moment to regain my focus. Perhaps a smaller ring should have been used or something could have potentially been done about the lighting to minimize the reflection in the darker scenes. In addition to the distraction from the piercing and the fact that I feel Dinah's particular style from the comics was lost in translation, the costume that everyone was praising, you know, the one with the fishnets? It's only in the movie for 5 seconds at the very end.

Yes, it makes sense that she only get an actual costume at the end of the movie after the official formation of the Birds of Prey, but still, how is it that the most comic accurate suits are worn on stage for 10 seconds and at the end of the movie for 5 seconds? People might say, wait for the sequel, this was just her introduction, but I was hoping for more visual cues that would excite me and make me go, "THIS IS THE BLACK DAMN CANARY!"

- Dinah using Harley's bat and holding on to a gun for way too long. Should Dinah be proficient in wielding weapons? Yeah, but that doesn't mean I want to see her bash guys' heads in with one. Honestly, the bat and gun were only a part of her arsenal during the fun house scenes, but I thoroughly enjoyed her more when she was delivering powerful kicks and punches. Is this critique really necessary? No. But I wanted to mention it anyway, because the bat, especially, is heavily advertised in promotional images and merchandise.

- Lastly, I want to talk about some moments that I felt were out of character for Dinah. This criticism kind of goes to Huntress, as well towards the end of the movie. During the fun house sequence, where Harley and the rest of the girls get ready to fight and are gathering supplies the tone shifts and all of a sudden things become quite quirky and it doesn't feel organic. AT ALL. Up until this point of the movie Canary was very put together, a badass in every sense of thew word and then in the "I love this chick. She has rage issues" scene Dinah all of a sudden becomes goofy and makes this over-exaggerated face:

It's almost as if someone said to the director, "remember, this movie is supposed to be funny. If we don't have the other characters act a certain way they will feel like they are in an entirely different movie". Canary and Huntress for a short while and a few gags turn up the shtick and overact and compensate with comedy for what otherwise have been hard ass women, kicking major butt. There was absolutely no need to have Canary and Huntress make silly faces or yell to deliver their lines. Dinah had funny moments throughout the movie previously without having to act like she was in a National Lampoon movie.

- This is very minor, but I don't recall seeing Canary smoke in the movie, which is a good thing! But they really could have left the cigarette tucked behind her ear and the nicotine patches on the cutting room floor if they were not willing to make it a part of the movie and play up the fact that she was potentially damaging her voice on purpose. I'm glad we didn't see her smoke and do damage to herself, but as I said, then just leave it out entirely.
    end of spoilers

Overall I was quite happy with Dinah in this movie and am happy to say that as a previous detractor, I appreciate what was done with my favorite DC character, but there were certainly weak points that in my opinion should be addressed if we see her again in future movies. My issues, which is a good thing, are mostly superficial and deal with visual issues that I have taken with the movie's styling direction for Canary. I liked her personality a lot and I also loved the role she played in the movie, but from a pure visual standpoint they could have worked harder to deliver on her classic iconography. After all, comics and movies are visual mediums and what the eyes see matter.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 02-05-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Alright the fight is officially released to the public. Fair warning for blood, a character death, and some really cheesy scream themed puns.
    Last edited by sifighter; 02-10-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

spoilers:
    Dinah won.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Congrats to Dinah .
    end of spoilers

I am not posting this to bash Jurnee or even express my desire for Katheryn to play Dinah- I am only posting this because it is fan art I created and wanted to share it with other Black Canary fans. Please don't take this out of context and think that I am in any way trying to undermine what another actress has done with the character.

I feel stupid having to post such a disclaimer but I just want my intentions to be absolutely clear.

Astonishing Member

That's a nice piece of art. I do think, though, that the fishnets no longer work in a modern setting. I've said elsewhere that the traiditonal look of Black Canary probably works best in a late 1940s/early 1950 setting (and I like the blue stockings under the fishnets -- as it makes it look more like a uniform than sexy lingerie). The rest of the outfit, though -- is great.

I wish that hadn't dressed BC in gold dance pants for the majority of the film. I wish she had started wearing a costume when the birds were all working together.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    That's a nice piece of art. I do think, though, that the fishnets no longer work in a modern setting. I've said elsewhere that the traiditonal look of Black Canary probably works best in a late 1940s/early 1950 setting (and I like the blue stockings under the fishnets -- as it makes it look more like a uniform than sexy lingerie). The rest of the outfit, though -- is great.

I wish that hadn't dressed BC in gold dance pants for the majority of the film. I wish she had started wearing a costume when the birds were all working together.
    I don't think I agree that the fishnets don't work in a modern setting, but I do think her "costume" would only work if the rest of the movie's aesthetic allowed for it. In Suicide Squad Harley wore small fishnet stockings and everyone thought it was sexy:

The fishnets themselves weren't very big, not sure what the proper term is to describe the difference in stockings between Harley's and the image I posted above, but more importantly, the Suicide Squad aesthetic allowed for more out there costumes. I mean when Harley is standing next to a human, crocodile hybrid, a witch, a guy in a mask and someone covered from head to toe in tattoos no one will question a woman wearing fishnets and tiny shorts.

I think the rocker/biker chick aesthetic is very much still a look that you see in 2020, depending on the group of people you surround yourself with. It might not be a popular look, but I don't think it's necessarily an outdated style. However, in regards to Dinah's costume and how it translates to live action, as I have said before, personally I would adapt either her Injustice 2 or Rebirth costume. I think those would be the most comfortable for an actress to wear.

You mentioned the blue stockings underneath the fishnets, that could also work really, really well. Her New 52 costume did that too. And if I remember correctly, the fishnets also served a protective purpose in that continuity, but please don't quote me on that one. Haha.

You mentioned the blue stockings underneath the fishnets, that could also work really, really well. Her New 52 costume did that too. And if I remember correctly, the fishnets also served a protective purpose in that continuity, but please don't quote me on that one. Haha.
    Cartoons have also adapted them more as stockings/leggings because fishnets are hard to animate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Cartoons have also adapted them more as stockings/leggings because fishnets are hard to animate.
    Very true. I really loved how that looked in Young Justice.

Very true. I really loved how that looked in Young Justice.

Same here .