Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Couldn't agree MORE! Though she needs to be fleshed out more this is the most accurate version of the character that most closely resembles her comic book counterpart that had been put on film.
    She's fierce, goofy, loyal, protective and yes, I think she looks like the comic book character as well. I hope and pray we get more of her on the big screen
    Some other things that I think the movie Black Canary got right, and which gave her more depth as a character than superheroes usually get.

A working class sensibility. Dinah knows she needs to make a living, an emotional connection to work, and is loyal to her employer. Heroism doesn't pay the rent or put food on the table. Instead it killed her mother.

Conflicts between values, and inaction that leads to action. There is an emotional development between Dinah witnessing Roman tormenting the poor girl in the night club to her beating up Harley's would-be abductors to her deciding to become an informer to Renee Montoya. I think it's also important that she is the first to see, advise, and assist Cass. If there is one character who embodies deliberate action in the movie, it's Dinah.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I love Black Canary and besides being a member of the Justice League and BoP, I’ve always wanted to write a maxiseries for her that includes a team up with other martial artists like; Onyx, Huntress, Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman, Flamebird, Judomaster, Katana, Huntress, Manhunter, Ravager, Black Bat, Arrowette, Spoiler, etc.

This one of my favorite covers with Dinah.

FC54ECA0-3BBE-45AA-9683-705B04B0C753.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's her Future's End costume:
    Oh okay. Never read that.

Can't say I like the cape.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Some other things that I think the movie Black Canary got right, and which gave her more depth as a character than superheroes usually get.

A working class sensibility. Dinah knows she needs to make a living, an emotional connection to work, and is loyal to her employer. Heroism doesn't pay the rent or put food on the table. Instead it killed her mother.

Conflicts between values, and inaction that leads to action. There is an emotional development between Dinah witnessing Roman tormenting the poor girl in the night club to her beating up Harley's would-be abductors to her deciding to become an informer to Renee Montoya. I think it's also important that she is the first to see, advise, and assist Cass. If there is one character who embodies deliberate action in the movie, it's Dinah.
    You can definitely tell that those making the film and especially Jurnee Smollett really cared about getting the character right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh okay. Never read that.

Can't say I like the cape.
    It was Futures End. They had a lot of crazy ideas .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It was Futures End. They had a lot of crazy ideas .
    And none of 'em good.

I'm joking, but yeah, capes don't work for Dinah. Really, aside from Neal Adams or her costume during Gail's BoP, Rebirth is just the tops. Hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    And none of 'em good.

I'm joking, but yeah, capes don't work for Dinah. Really, aside from Neal Adams or her costume during Gail's BoP, Rebirth is just the tops. Hard to beat.
    Yeah, Classic, Simone BoP, or Rebirth are probably her definitive looks.

Fantastic Member

IMG_20200427_112727.jpgIMG_20200427_112543.jpgIMG_20200427_112758.jpg

It has been firmly established, even as early as the 70's and early 80's, that Black Canary is as good a fighter, if not better than Batman. Why do people argue this? Just cuz here's BATMAN?

It has been firmly established, even as early as the 70's and early 80's, that Black Canary is as good a fighter, if not better than Batman. Why do people argue this? Just cuz here's BATMAN?
    I very much agree with and like Canary as his peer in fighting ability (while acknowledging the likely biological reality of him being stronger). But I also don't really like either of them as top-50-in-the-world fighters. Both should be very good. I'd probably say she's better. But neither should be treated magically good to me. I think Batman should be the world's greatest detective, and a good fighter, but not best. I don't really care for his leader/tactician brilliance either - he should be best as a detective, not at at other thing, IMO, but it's not relevant to this thread.

I have no strong historical/canonical reason (from the eras I most like the character) that Dinah should have a particularly working class mentality or be especially loyal to an employer. I thought she was fine self-employed, and flower shop or dojo or fine and neither actually require any sort of emotional connection to work (which many people, including working class people, do not have). And loyalty to one's employers is a nebulous term to me (I haven't seen the movie and don't intend to mostly because of Harley). Means different things to different people, and can sometimes be used to screw the employee to the benefit of the business. If it's just doing the job and not stealing from an employer, that's just basic honesty to me. Maybe giving notice to not leave someone in a lurch.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 04-27-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I have no strong historical/canonical reason (from the eras I most like the character) that Dinah should have a particularly working class mentality or be especially loyal to an employer. I thought she was fine self-employed, and flower shop or dojo or fine and neither actually require any sort of emotional connection to work (which many people, including working class people, do not have). And loyalty to one's employers is a nebulous term to me (I haven't seen the movie and don't intend to mostly because of Harley). Means different things to different people, and can sometimes be used to screw the employee to the benefit of the business. If it's just doing the job and not stealing from an employer, that's just basic honesty to me. Maybe giving notice to not leave someone in a lurch.
    There is a scene where Renee Montoya asks Dinah to become an informer against Roman Sionis. Dinah declines, and in no uncertain terms. She is loyal to the person who gave her not one but two good and steady jobs, not to the police or to some higher principles. Do your job well and don't make waves.

Seeing the Dinah in the movie, and comparing her with the Dinah of Dixon's and (especially) Simone's Birds of Prey, at least I could see the clear connections, and even more how Simone would embrace this take on the character.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Who argues it? Most people seem to treat her as a top tier martial artist .
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    There is a scene where Renee Montoya asks Dinah to become an informer against Roman Sionis. Dinah declines, and in no uncertain terms. She is loyal to the person who gave her not one but two good and steady jobs, not to the police or to some higher principles. Do your job well and don't make waves.

Seeing the Dinah in the movie, and comparing her with the Dinah of Dixon's and (especially) Simone's Birds of Prey, at least I could see the clear connections, and even more how Simone would embrace this take on the character.
    I honestly don't see Dinah with that kind of tunnel vision, especially for someone as scummy as Black Mask, but that's just me.

Fantastic Member

Who argues it? Most people seem to treat her as a top tier martial artist .

I honestly don't see Dinah with that kind of tunnel vision, especially for someone as scummy as Black Mask, but that's just me.
    Many people argue it. Never really understood why.

And in general Dinah doesn't have that kind of tunnel vision but she has before...Ra's Al Ghul...until her eyes are opened and within the context of the story it makes sense.

Mighty Member

I think it's just lack of knowledge, outside of Wonder Woman, Black Canary is probably DC's most iconic heroine, but despite that she's never really had her own long running series outside of Birds of Prey.

They might also be taking biological limitations into account as well when it comes to fighting. As a male, Batman's muscle mass, reaction time, and ability to absorb a hit better, gives him an advantage in striking and blocking, so he would most likely win when you take that into account. As a huge Black Canary fan that was a bit of a bubble buster for me, but realistically speaking, you don't see men fighting women in boxing and UFC primarily because of physiological differences.

Many people argue it. Never really understood why.
    I'm not necesarilly doubting you, but I've never really seen it come up as much. But those people probably haven't read or seen a lot with Dinah in it.
    And in general Dinah doesn't have that kind of tunnel vision but she has before...Ra's Al Ghul...until her eyes are opened and within the context of the story it makes sense.
    It's a very rare thing to see with her is what you're getting at .

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Justice League of America #12 (October, 2007). Art by Alex Ross: