Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I don't really think so. One Dinah having a type is a nice bit of consistency. Two Dinahs having the same type just makes me think she dates guys like her dad. Nothing wrong with that - dad was a good guy. But it doesn't have the sense of continuity/consistency that makes the first one fun to me.
    I don't mind it as a "like mother, like daughter" thing. It's not unheard of, and for as much respect and love Dinah has in her father it wouldn't surprise me if she likes men like him.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't mind it as a "like mother, like daughter" thing. It's not unheard of, and for as much respect and love Dinah has in her father it wouldn't surprise me if she likes men like him.
    Our daughter certainly has the same taste in men that I do. Her husband is very much like my husband

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh, I don't mind her liking guys like her dad (except that I dislike Canary as Canary's daughter in general), it just isn't anything I actively like or enjoy. Daughter liking guys like dad is just "there" as a story/character element. My entire point was about consistency of character (probably inadvertent) from long ago. That's actively fun to me. The same way picking up a 1940s Superman or Batman and seeing a minor trait that's still present in the character decades later is fun. It's obviously totally inapplicable if it's not the same woman dating both of them.

I'm a big fan of the mother-daughter aspect of Black Canary. The WW2 thing isn't even an issue in a universe where time travel exists. Just say that BC and Larry Lance accidentally got transported several decades into the future and they had a daughter while running their own detective agency. Or scrap the WW2 thing all together and have Larry and Dinah Drake as a private investigator duo and they both had a daughter who followed in her mother's footsteps.

I'm a big fan of the mother-daughter aspect of Black Canary.
    Most people seem to be. I accept that. Just doesn't mean I have to like that aspect, too. I think a major component is that I came to like the character reading old bronze age JLA (I had actually read some stuff with her post-COIE prior to that, including Dixon's BoP, but she didn't do much for me there - I didn't dislike her, but neither did I have any strong attachment). It was very important and significant to her character in those early days that she was recently widowed. She was attracted to Ollie, but still mourning. That storyline really worked for me. I don't like it lost. I also hate how she was made so very much younger than him later (which also ties into how much I hate what was done with his character post-COIE and how bad a person and significant other he became).

Fantastic Member

New bts pics Jurnee posted during yesterday's Twitter watch-a-long of BoP.
    I loved her in the part but I also love how much she loves the character of Black Canary.IMG_20200501_050744.jpg
    IMG_20200430_150830.jpg
    IMG_20200430_131407.jpg

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    And none of 'em good.

I'm joking, but yeah, capes don't work for Dinah. Really, aside from Neal Adams or her costume during Gail's BoP, Rebirth is just the tops. Hard to beat.
    It's certainly a huge step up from the New 52 costume and I think it's okay, but I'm not a huge fan of the Rebirth costume. It just seems too casual and not superhero-y enough for me. That's a clinical term btw, "superhero-y".

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    It's certainly a huge step up from the New 52 costume and I think it's okay, but I'm not a huge fan of the Rebirth costume. It just seems too casual and not superhero-y enough for me. That's a clinical term btw, "superhero-y".
    Out of curiosity, does the classic jacket/corset/fishnets outfit seem "superhero-y" to you?

Oliver was already being written as a jackass to Dinah (and everyone else) before post-COIE.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Out of curiosity, does the classic jacket/corset/fishnets outfit seem "superhero-y" to you?
    Not the same person, but I do agree with them. Okay, the sweetheart-neckline bustier and high pirate boots are probably a little bit dated (even though I love them), but her Ed Benes BoP/Justice League look was very, very good. Her Rebirth look was cool at the very beginning but now it suffers the same issue that Burnside Babs suffered from, it looks too casual for a superheroine of their caliber. Especially Dinah, she was in the freaking Justice League, practically leading it, whilst wearing jorts.

Dinah.jpg

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yeah. It's just the shorts on the Rebirth outfit. To me it just looks like she threw on shorts and a halter top. It doesn't look like an actual costume.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsyButterfly View Post
    Not the same person, but I do agree with them. Okay, the sweetheart-neckline bustier and high pirate boots are probably a little bit dated (even though I love them), but her Ed Benes BoP/Justice League look was very, very good. Her Rebirth look was cool at the very beginning but now it suffers the same issue that Burnside Babs suffered from, it looks too casual for a superheroine of their caliber. Especially Dinah, she was in the freaking Justice League, practically leading it, whilst wearing jorts.

Dinah.jpg
    Agreed. The Benes/JLA is my favorite of her costumes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Agreed. The Benes/JLA is my favorite of her costumes as well.
    I still like her '70s era one. Not saying there aren't dated elements. But I actually like the opaque tights. And I like the butt coverage and even if she was in a strapless, at least she wasn't falling out of the top. Though that might be kinda physics-defying, but so are many of the costumes.

All-New Member

I still like her '70s era one. Not saying there aren't dated elements. But I actually like the opaque tights. And I like the butt coverage and even if she was in a strapless, at least she wasn't falling out of the top. Though that might be kinda physics-defying, but so are many of the costumes.
    I very much agree on the tights. I liked that element of her New 52 costume. Have them be either blue or grey-backed. It adds a pop of colour to her costume and evokes the classic look.

One look that I know we'll never see but which I love is with long gloves. She had it on her famous Adam Hughes cover, in Young Justice and in the Crisis on Two Earths movie. That, with the fishnet over tights instead of just flat tights would be fierce.

Dinah1.jpg
    Dinah2.jpg

Fantastic Member

I did prefer the boy short version to the thong.
    blackcanary_edbenes.jpg

I prefer the bare leg with fishnets to the tights with fishnets, but either way is fine.