Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    You gave the wrong opinion though, apparently.
    See, this is why we wound up over-taking the controversial thread. We're outsiders amongst outsiders!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rdman View Post
    Wow. Crazy. I love the entire shift with mutants and X-Men. Every mutant can be a hero.
    Perhaps with the exception of Sinister.
    Ehhh...not if they start somehow harming people, I argue. Emotionally, I mean 'cos, c'mon it's comic books; without the fist-fights it's nothing.

To answer the main question, the mainline X-men book can be skipped. There's no story, just worldbuilding that you can glean from articles or talks on this website.

Fallen Angels is ending, so wait for the trade. New Mutants is half good, half terrible. Its confusing and skips around, so any issue in space is recommended. Skip the rest. Only read Excalibur if you're a fan of Apocalypse. X-force is pretty good, just uses death liberally. Marauders is all over the place; I can only recommend it if you are a fan of Emma Frost

Mighty Member

Marvel is sacrificing quality over quantity with so many X-titles published in one month. In the past, it was just two or three X-titles eg. Uncanny X-Men, New Mutants, X-Men.

With the exception of X-Force and New Mutants (original members part), the rest are mediocre.

Still loving them all here; I originally had a plan to drop 2 titles after the first arc, but if I were to drop anything it would be Fallen Angels and that's ending soon anyway. X-Men has, for me, gotten stronger every issue (weirdly that applies to the art as well; Yu's backgrounds tend to drop out pretty quickly but I thought 3 and 4 were actually an improvement on 1 and 2). The New Mutants Glob/Armor story is the weakest part of the era so far - don't have much of a defense for that one - but the original New Mutants + Gen X friends is one of the best so what can you do? My personal favorite is probably Excalibur; Tini has a great handle on that batch of characters and Marcus To is the standout artist of the 6 new titles (and hasn't even had a fill in yet if I'm not mistaken?).

It's just nice to be excited to pick up X-Men books again.

Amazing Member

Thanks for the insights. I went ahead and read Xforce 1-5. . It’s ok but not good enough to keep me interested. Nothing remotely feels like Xmen. I feel like the line is a not as good and even more confusing “Seven Soldiers” with people who look like 90s Xmen. I’ll skip the rest. This era doesn’t look long for this world. We’ll see if the sales figures hold I guess. So sad after a pretty good start in HOXPOX.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Marvel is sacrificing quality over quantity with so many X-titles published in one month. In the past, it was just two or three X-titles eg. Uncanny X-Men, New Mutants, X-Men.

With the exception of X-Force and New Mutants (original members part), the rest are mediocre.
    By the past do you mean the 80s? If so, LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by Emesem View Post
    This era doesn’t look long for this world. We’ll see if the sales figures hold I guess. So sad after a pretty good start in HOXPOX.
    The sales are still going strong in physical and digital sales. 5/6 of the titles are well received and it seems like this era is just beginning.
    Last edited by Tycon; 01-09-2020 at 08:48 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    By the past do you mean the 80s? If so, LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The sales are still going strong in physical and digital sales. 5/6 of the titles are well received and it seems like this era is just beginning.
    Be nice; taste is subjective. If you're enjoying it, good for you, but that won't help convince anyone who feels otherwise.

BANNED

As far as sales go, I don't know that I buy them being too crazy for the ongoing series. Amazing Spiderman #10 did 103K. The main X-book will obviously lead all the others at issue 10, but we're looking at 90K for that, on the high end. The very best side book will be sub-35K at issue 10.

The #1 on the event series this year should do a good 160K though, unless it crosses over with the Avengers department, then I give it less than but roughly close to whatever AvX #1 did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    I assume eventually the plot threads that have been presented in main title will turn into a more straightforward narrative. Like other people have mentioned, Hickman's Avengers run also started with a cououple of set-up stories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop_ View Post
    Genuinely asking: Were they as received similarly or totally different to his X-Men run?

BANNED

They were actually received differently in terms of sales because Hickman wasn't really popular during those times. Gradually people starting recognizing his quality of worldbuilding.

X-Men: Hit or miss. If Hickman is writing his favorites. The dialogue is good. If its just regular characters he needs in his story to set up story beats then its generic and stiff. Yu's art doesnt help when it comes to that.

Excalibur: The dialogue and story beats are only ok. The art has been consistent. The one title that I was highly anticipating but dropping after the first arc ends.

X-Force: Surprisingly has been my favorite of the DoX era. I like the art and the character beats and dialogue.

New Mutants: Only like JH parts of the story. Brisson's hard on for Glob and the twins is meh. Rod Reis art has really grown on me.

Fallen Angels: I think the artist was rushed. Or just couldnt hang. Showed potential but completely lost it. Writer may have just started putting more energy into his other projects he was more excited about.

Marauders: It's good. Art is consistent.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    I wish everyone being so negative would follow OPs example and stop reading stuff they just have no enjoyment for. Love and light darlings.
    I hated the Hickman reboot so much it shocked me. I cannot give it enough awful adjectives. I haven't touched any of it since & have no plan ever to do so. Still, I look at a thread like this once every blue moon to see what people think, to see if I ought re-evaluate...so I'd like the full range of opinions & not just people saying how great it is. So, love & light along with hate & dark, in this case, for me.
    Last edited by GenghisDon; 01-10-2020 at 12:21 AM.

Fallen Angels has been pretty good, although it's either going on break or being canceled soon.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)