Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    X-men 1 was the weakest of the 4 issues. 3 and 4 are my favs. Love it!!
    I think 3 was the weakest issue 1 was a pretty strong start.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Trust me, stick with X-Force, it hasn't improved.

X-Men is still the same mess of ego stroking combined with stiff, emotionless dialogue except when it comes to Magneto or Apocalypse. Xavier's kind of a 'take it or leave it' depending on if you take him at his word or not.
    Totally disagree, totally. But I do dislike any Batman rip off, so there's a big taste difference here.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by rdman View Post
    Wow. Crazy. I love the entire shift with mutants and X-Men. Every mutant can be a hero.
    Perhaps with the exception of Sinister.
    No mutant can be a hero anymore. If they die, they resuscitate.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    No mutant can be a hero anymore. If they die, they resuscitate.
    I strongly believe that any mutant who gives up their life in service of saving someone else is still very heroic even if they know they can be resurrected. Nothing is absolute. Death is usually a painful or uncomfortable act and I'm sure it still takes bravery to face it each and every time.

BANNED

...Am I the only one who doesn't think you have to die to be a hero...?

...Am I the only one who doesn't think you have to die to be a hero...?
    Can you be a hero if you don't risk your life, not just a unpleasant experience, but facing the idea your conscience can stop existing?
    Many say there weren't heroes, because they didn't think about the risks and just did what felt right, but, in the back of their minds, it must be present.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Can you be a hero if you don't risk your life, not just a unpleasant experience, but facing the idea your conscience can stop existing?
    Many say there weren't heroes, because they didn't think about the risks and just did what felt right, but, in the back of their minds, it must be present.
    Well, risk your life sure, but like actually die?

Well, risk your life sure, but like actually die?
    Ah, as the only exemples of heroes I can find were humans that could have died and sometimes died, maybe a new one must be found especially for mutants as a part of their culture. Or just we can consider that the word 'hero' means something different for them.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-10-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Ah, as the only exemples of heroes I can find were humans that could have died and sometimes died, maybe a new one must be found especially for mutants as a part of their culture. Or just we can consider that the word 'hero' means something different for them.
    A hero is someone who saves something, but something in danger isn't always life threatening for the hero. A scientist who discover a cure in viral outbreak is a hero. They saved everyone but they didn't risk their lives. A guess a better example is EMTs and Firefighters save people all time but themselves are not in danger.

BANNED

I found this definition if it helps at all?

BANNED

It's irrelevant whether you can die or not. If your intentions are pure and in your heart of hearts you actually act in defense of those in need of help, regardless of personal gain or loss, you can be a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    I assume eventually the plot threads that have been presented in main title will turn into a more straightforward narrative. Like other people have mentioned, Hickman's Avengers run also started with a cououple of set-up stories.
    Exactly. Some of the opinions here I feel like I'm reading the Avengers threads from years ago. Too decompressed, and not enough action. I'm loving the main X title because I'm a big fan of Hickman's world building. There has been so much information being disseminated by Hickman we have yet to see the entire threads pull together (eg:Hordeculture/Arakko/Apocalypse's machinations etc).

However I am a huge fan of Magneto and Apocalypse so I am biased. However, I've read enough of Hickman by now to know he is just getting started. X-Men#4 was epic to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    It's irrelevant whether you can die or not. If your intentions are pure and in your heart of hearts you actually act in defense of those in need of help, regardless of personal gain or loss, you can be a hero.
    Yeah, I've never heard that you have to risk your life in order to be considered a hero at the seems like a very limiting definition.

That being said of course the X-Men are still heroes they're out there saving human and mutant lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessboxer View Post
    Exactly. Some of the opinions here I feel like I'm reading the Avengers threads from years ago. Too decompressed, and not enough action. I'm loving the main X title because I'm a big fan of Hickman's world building. There has been so much information being disseminated by Hickman we have yet to see the entire threads pull together (eg:Hordeculture/Arakko/Apocalypse's machinations etc).

However I am a huge fan of Magneto and Apocalypse so I am biased. However, I've read enough of Hickman by now to know he is just getting started. X-Men#4 was epic to me.
    Oooooh man I remember those threads some Avengers fans were practically frothing at the mouth over their dislike of Avengers it wasn't until after Hickman masterfully weaved the two narratives of NA and Avengers together that people really appreciated it.

That being said Hickman was only writing two titles back during his Avengers days what is pulling off with the X-Men is a lot more ambitious and decidedly more prone to error. Frankly Hickman works best when you give him time to tell his story, I'm willing to wait years if that's how long it takes that man hasn't let me down yet! But I'm sure that sounds like torture to those who aren't a fan of Hickman's run so far.
    Last edited by loke13; 01-10-2020 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    A hero is someone who saves something, but something in danger isn't always life threatening for the hero. A scientist who discover a cure in viral outbreak is a hero. They saved everyone but they didn't risk their lives. A guess a better example is EMTs and Firefighters save people all time but themselves are not in danger.
    The firefighters are not in danger? How many lose their life fighting fires every year? I don't know what a EMT is. Executive Management Team?

I agree that scientists who saved lives are called heroes. But we don't talk about the same kind of heroism. Hell, even singers are called heroes, sometimes. I really don't know what they have done as heroic stuff…

Jean Grey sacrified her life to save her friends, on the shuttle, on the moon… Would it have been seen 'heroic' if her friends knew that she will come back?

The firefighters are not in danger? How many lose their life fighting fires every year? I don't know what a EMT is. Executive Management Team?

I agree that scientists who saved lives are called heroes. But we don't talk about the same kind of heroism. Hell, even singers are called heroes, sometimes. I really don't know what they have done as heroic stuff…

Jean Grey sacrified her life to save her friends, on the shuttle, on the moon… Would it have been seen 'heroic' if her friends knew that she will come back?
    So first thing Emergency Medical Technician.

I didn't say firefighters are never in danger, I said Firefighters regularly save people without the dangerous part happening to them. For example if someone is pinned down inside of a crash car bleeding the Firefighter/Police/Emt who are responding to situation aren't a danger. Not every act of saving someone puts the person doing the saving in danger.What you are doing is applying the most extreme example of heroics and thinking that is the only example. A simple definition of what a hero is if you save someone life OR you take action to try to save someone.You are a hero. Being in danger yourself or sacrificing on self don't have to be components.

By your definition Superman isn't heroic, Superman is zero danger 99% of the time and basically you are saying superman didn't become hero until he was killed by Doomsday. . Being hero isn't about the risk even though risk does make the action more "heroic" because it is unnatural thing and you have to be wired a different way to risk yourself to help someone. The last answer to last question is yes Jean Grey saving her friends from trouble would be seen as heroic.Once again danger to yourself isn't a requirement of saving someone. A largely act of heroism is saving someone or stepping up to help even though you know the situation is against you.You don't go that person who recognize a situation before it got dangerous and save a bunch of people by doing something, because his life wasn't in a danger they are not a hero.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-11-2020 at 03:02 AM.