Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I found this definition if it helps at all?
    According to your definition, a hero is someone admired for his courage. How can you show your courage if you cannot die really anymore? The wounded ones can be terminated, they seem to rebirth as good as new… (Edit: right, they must have healers about mutants… not necessary.)
    Last edited by Zelena; 01-11-2020 at 07:41 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    By your definition Superman isn't heroic, Superman is zero danger 99% of the time and basically you are saying superman didn't become hero until he was killed by Doomsday. .
    Why do Superman's creators have invented Kryptonite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Being hero isn't about the risk even though risk does make the action more "heroic" because it is unnatural thing and you have to be wired a different way to risk yourself to help someone. The last answer to last question is yes Jean Grey saving her friends from trouble would be seen as heroic.Once again danger to yourself isn't a requirement of saving someone. A largely act of heroism is saving someone or stepping up to help even though you know the situation is against you.
    Well, someone who saves another person is called a savior.
    What do you risk if you cannot die? Not succeed? Too bad…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

The word "hero" implies someone who takes action at some kind of risk to themselves or what they want.

That said, there are several definitions of the word, one of which is just "the central character in a story", and this is an online message board, so there is room to be pedantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    According to your definition, a hero is someone admired for his courage. How can you show your courage if you cannot die really anymore? The wounded ones can be terminated, they seem to rebirth as good as new… (Edit: right, they must have healers about mutants… not necessary.)
    Being a hero is just doing the right thing at the right time. You can be a whistle blower at a corporation that is screwing people over, and it could potentially ruin your career to speak up. That would be heroism without the threat of "death."

The X-Men being able to resurrect themselves doesn't make their actions any less heroic. If they fail, the people they fight to protect may suffer. And some mutants, like Wolverine were damn near immortal already. (The tension was rarely, will Logan die? But rather, will Logan stop the villain in time to protect someone else.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Pedantry is never...nev-errr...a good fashion statement.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

This ethnostate crap with the X-Men acting as evil separatist cultists needs to stop. As a fan of Hickman I really thought he’d give us the twist already because there is no way heroes would act like this.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 01-11-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This ethnostate crap with the X-Men acting as evil separatist cultists needs to stop. As a fan of Hickman I really thought he’d give us the twist already because there is no way heroes would act like this.
    [Insert the "Doctor Strange wait for it" meme here]

(There are only two possible outcomes; either Hickman as a yet-unrevealed twist or the status quo will revert to normal in the near future. Actually, you can bet on the latter; the X-Men will be reset back to their pre-Hickman status and you can enjoy them then, if that's more your cup of tea. Nothing ever really changes.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Except the X-Men haven't been shown being evil... anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    Don't even bother that person hit all I hate DoX key phrase bingo words... "Evil" "Separatist" "Cult" .

I never had an issue with the flagship title but things are picking up nicely.

X-force is a constant rush, New Mutants is fantastic too.
    Excalibur is building toward something I'm sure will be a foundation for Krakoan Tech/Magic users.

They are legitimately granting sanctuary to murderers who kill in other places merely because they are mutants and have gone full tribalist in the way only their villains have in the past. Only a few of the characters in the new titles still act heroic.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I only read X-Men and the Hickman issues of New Mutants. The latter have been consistently great. The former started out shaky coming off of HoX/PoX, but issue four was great. The "awfulness" of the first three issue is grossly exaggerated. They aren't terrible at all, not even issue #3.

Can't stop when it hasn't even begun.

Apocalypse starting a war with Otherworld and triggering a giant monster invasion in the UK was pretty bad. But other than that nothing I could quite call evil.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Apocalypse starting a war with Otherworld and triggering a giant monster invasion in the UK was pretty bad. But other than that nothing I could quite call evil.
    I do not disagree with you at all. I think Apocalypse in Excalibur is a villain, I also (and I get this is an opinion) don't consider him an X-Man, Krakoan =/= X-Man. He's clearly an antagonist to the team and pursuing his own agenda. I would put Sinister and Shaw in the same boat, antagonists like Henry Gyrich, or Loki (depending on his characterization) regularly appearing characters, possibly even main characters but not protagonists. TV has a shitload of these types of characters (1/2 the cast of GoT)

I remember making a thread a while back saying these new books are a massively underwhelming disappoint after the fantastic hox/pox and was told I'm wrong here, good to see these books are still awful as I stopped buying all of them.