Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default What do you like/dislike about Krakoa? (As a concept)

Ok, so, I feel like we, as users need to try and understand each other a bit better. So, I'm going to post this thread of opposite nature:

Why do you like/hate Krakoa?

This should not be used as an excuse to fight with other users!!!

This is a chance for us, as a community, to see where each other are coming from. This should be a cathartic experience for all of us and, hopefully, generate a bit of empathy around here.

So what's so good/bad about Krakoa? Not necessarily the island, but the concept (but the island too if you want to point that out)

GO:
    Last edited by Domino_Dare-Doll; 01-09-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Nobody hates Krakoa, people just hate Beast.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    Nobody hates Krakoa, people just hate Beast.
    I'd like to kindly remind you that this is a thread where we can really discuss our differences and grievances about Krakoa as a concept or island.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Now if we're specifically looking for things about the island itself, I hate all that nasty unsterilized looking plant tech, and all the dumb raves. Stop raving, young people. Do something with your lives!
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Now if we're specifically looking for things about the island itself, I hate all that nasty unsterilized looking plant tech, and all the dumb raves. Stop raving, young people. Do something with your lives!
    Hahah; alright then! What else could they be doing? And, if you want, what makes you dislike the aesthetic so? Does it feel too claustrophobic, are you just not a fan of plants? Does it need a better artist, maybe?

We definitely didn't need two threads for this concept. Merged. Keep it civil please.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I don't hate it. I just think it could use more Jean Grey

The only thing I hate is that Prodigy is not on it.
    Repowered and magically superior to everyone else.

Amazing Member

Krakoa is a silly, cornball plot device from giant sized X-men to bring in the "New X-men" in Giant sized X-men (1975). It was silly to me as a child, but kinda fun/scary as a low grade horror movie monster. So, as a concept, I can accept it's place in the canon & maybe see it in What If? or alternate timelines...sparingly. Len Wein's (much) lesser version of Godzilla, made to further a plot.

I HATE the reboots attached to it (Deadly Genesis) and it's spawn or whatever. As a pet or friendly monster it is the absolute worst. This Hickman garbage of late can only be salvaged by Krakoa devouring mutant kind & rebooting again/forgetting this garbage ever was published.

Anyway, dredging up cornball pap from 30-40 years prior simply because it cannot be forgotten due a chance placement at a pivotal point in history is not a good idea.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Good:

It allows for both Good and Evil characters to comingle and has more indepth characterization, and it's more thought provoking that way.

Related to that, the way the writers keep speaking about "Mutants" as opposed to "XMen". It makes this feel closer to the Morrison era where we were exploring themes of "Mutant Culture" and all of that.

There are a lot of weird sci-fi aspects and mysteries baked in.

Just in general, all these older characters returning offers a lot of possibilities.

Bad:

Sense of voluntary self-segregation, or retreat from engaging with the world broadly. Feels like an admission of defeat honestly.

Needs to explain the actual differences between this concept and the Genosha idea.

Extremely creepy aspects are going on that could use more fleshing out so we can become adjusted to them. Unless they're intended to be offputting.

In general I feel Hickman doesn't care about showing how we got from the end of the latest Uncanny (and other books...) to this. He's put essentially zero effort into that, which to me is a problem.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I like the new-ness of it all. I like this new, unexplored land and how the mutants can create their own culture, traditions, and ways of life. It feels like they have more choices on how to live now.

I'm also excited to see what else comes from Krakoa and what kind of additional international commerce may come of it. I'm a big fan of the whole thing.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

What I like is that it brings back characters I want back. What I don’t like is that it’s a cultish supremacist ethnostate where the supposed heroes have adopted the mentality of the villains.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I love the idea that Krokoa is a haven for mutants.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I'm really not loving them leaving dazzler out to dry with no solo series. The queers are getting annoyed.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I don't hate Krakoa. I hate messiness and ambiguity. I would happily read a monthly series about the Quiet council creating new laws, implementing them, and debating each other. Nation building as a plot is rarely touched upon. I also want to see some lawyers and civil defense implimented, because frankly, the QC has too much power. Krakoa needs to be better than a benevolent ogliarchy.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."