Spectacular Member

Default House of X/Powers of X a Good Starting Point for X-Men Titles?

Or re-starting point that is. I stopped reading comics after Secret Wars. X-titles, I stopped somewhere in the middle of Bendis run where I found it boring.

But I LOVE Hickman's Avengers run, and I see he is writing the X-titles. How are his books so far? And is the House of X/Power of X a good starting point? Any past books/events I should read to catch up?

Many thanks!

It's probably the best jumping back on point since the Morrison run. I highly recommend you check it out.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Many people would argue not to bother with anything X-related before HOX/POX because 6 months lapsed between HOX/POX and Uncanny/Age of X-Man right before it. That and they really flipped the table in the X-world and made everything as bleak and horrible as possible to set Hickman up for success (and you'll see why as you read it). I think quite a few of us here would say there wasn't a quality X-Book in years before Hickman's arrival.

But really, between Hickman's writing and the beautiful art, HOX/POX showed up on many "best of the decade" lists for good reason.

Spectacular Member

Thanks guys!

But is his New Mutants any good? I am not really interested in those characters. Do they intertwine with his main X-Men title a lot, much did his 2 Avengers books?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasFnatic View Post
    Thanks guys!

But is his New Mutants any good? I am not really interested in those characters. Do they intertwine with his main X-Men title a lot, much did his 2 Avengers books?
    Well, hard to say much without spoiling HOX/POX, but here's how the new books focus (for now)

X-Men - Continues some of the deeper plot points uncovered in HOX/POX - mixed reviews, mostly because it's a bit all over the place. Seems to be getting more interesting and is definitely planting some seeds for future intrigue.
    X-Force - Strike force for the mutants, continues the storyline of HOX/POX and answers some lingering questions readers had about HOX/POX when it ended. Brutal and crazy, but is popular.
    New Mutants - A bit of a comedy book. Follows two storylines right now. One is the OG New Mutants team in a space adventure, the other is some of the New X-Men kids in an earthbound adventure. People LOVE the OG storyline, pretty much universally hate the other one.
    Excalibur - Covers mystical/magical events. Mixed reviews so far, but a great cast.
    Marauders - X-Men pirate book. Can't say much more without heavy spoilers. Popular and humorous, seems to be leading into some big plot points that could effect other books.
    Fallen Angels - Kind of a solo adventure book for a couple of characters. Started promising, but seems to be fading quickly in popularity. Only 6 issues by design.

We have been receiving announcements for more new books coming out in spring, likely replacing or continuing some of the current crop of "Dawn of X" books. Also we're likely to get our first major crossover with X-Men/Fantastic Four.

Thanks guys!

So far there has been very minimal intertwining outside of a few mentions, but knowing Hickman and based on what he has said there will be major plot points that affect both books down the road. New Mutants has been very enjoyable so far though. Overall I'd say it's been better than X-Men outside of issue 4 but X-Men has been nothing but world building so far.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Thanks guys!

new mutants is sick, general consensus is that Hickman's issues are better than Brisson's (agreed) but imo Brisson's aren't bad just a different vibe, up to subjective tastes n all that. Hickman's gearing up for a mini crossover between his x-men book and new mutants in terms of interconnections but after that Brisson's pulling full time duties so hard to say how much they'll intersect

BANNED

HoX/PoX is a good reintroduction to the concept of mutantdom, the X-Men and so on. So yeah, hop on.

I just re-read the entire series in a single volume edition (which I got from the local library) and it holds up well and there's stuff you pick up on re-read.

Basically it's a series designed to make you fall in the love with the X-men and their characters. If you loved them once, you will love them again like for the first time. If not, then this is a good introduction.

The art is amazing, the writing is great, and the concept is brilliant in the Chris Nolan sense.

Mighty Member

Yeah hop back on! If you gain more interest, ask more questions. The new run has had some big hiccups but it's still really good overall.

BANNED

It's about as good of a jumping-on point as you can get for X-Men. All you need to know before reading is that mutants have been killed alot over the years and they are done with it.

HOX / POX is made in such a way that you only need a very rudimentary idea of who the X-Men are to enjoy it. Like, with watching the movies you already have a rough idea of who these people are and if not, they explain it to you.