Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I like the new-ness of it all. I like this new, unexplored land and how the mutants can create their own culture, traditions, and ways of life. It feels like they have more choices on how to live now.

I'm also excited to see what else comes from Krakoa and what kind of additional international commerce may come of it. I'm a big fan of the whole thing.
    Totally agree. That's what I really love about Krakoa it may share similarities with Utopia and Genosha insofar as it being a mutant nation but I think that's where the major similarities end Utopia was nothing more than a hastily thrown together safe haven for the last 200 mutants in the world it lacked the scale and ambition of Krakoa and while Genosha is cosmetically similar to Krakoa I feel like it lacked its since of presence on the World Stage thanks to Xavier and co. they've effectively turned Krakoa into a mutant super power!

And the various writers continue to keep adding and building to the X-Universe I just love the ambition and scope behind what Hickman has created and the dedication to it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    May I ask why?
    If we are talking about what was in green?

There are just a lot of obvious "Why?"s that have to do with why I do not worry about those questions.

While I guess that i can get why some folks would, I can just think of a bunch of obvious issues with thinking about it that way that it would feel like I was giving somebody grief if I went into them.

Meh. Genosha was a super-power too. Magneto revitalized it's economy and they rebuilt from the [post Aussie X-Men/X-Tinction Agenda-caused] civil war ravaged place to the next gleaming city on the hill. It just happened at the end of the 90's and they didn't focus on it very much other than the aborted world take-over(when Jean mind controlled her way into distracting Magneto long enough for Wolverine to stab him in the back...), which was essentially followed up by E is for Extinction. I think there were mini series that covered the nation of Genosha's reformation as a mutant state, but it was a peripheral issue, and certainly not a line-wide influence as we see today. Magneto sought to gain through military might was Krakoa is now trying to do through pure economics, but Genosha was still a superpower in that regard; to legitimately challenge the human superpowers. Really it was only the X-Men that had a chance, since Magneto didn't destroy them outright[due to their complicated relationship].

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    The attitude of arrogance and domination is deserved in a general sense. I think the people that are arguing that the mutants think it's "us vs them" are presenting a straw man argument. It's simply not true in any sense. We've specifically seen the mutants working with human allies multiple times already and it is extremely early in the run. Elizabeth Braddock is answering to the Queen of England, the Marauders are working with humans to deliver their goods, the X-Men had a summit with leaders of the free world, X-Force has shown humans working with and for the mutants. The arrogance and dominance only extend to those that oppose the mutants having the right to exist which isn't everyone. I don't think that humanity has completely burned its bridges with mutants, but I do think the mutants are done waiting around for simple human rights. It's not an all or nothing scenario, it never has been. Maybe in the future it will come to that but as of now that simply isn't the case.
    Arrogance and domination is an attitude, not a strategy. You don't change your personality depending on circumstances.

You say that mutants have human allies, fine. But, how do these human allies feel about this attitude? Are they ok with mutants displaying "arrogance and domination"? More, alliances are not the same as friendships. We can see in our world how they can break easily…

The Queen of England… well, of UK has no political power. Elisabeth Braddock, only answering to the Queen, is undermining the UK government (which really don't need it).

I agree on one point: Genosha and Utopia have failed because they didn't try to find allies outside the mutant realm…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Arrogance and domination is an attitude, not a strategy. You don't change your personality depending on circumstances.

You say that mutants have human allies, fine. But, how do these human allies feel about this attitude? Are they ok with mutants displaying "arrogance and domination"? More, alliances are not the same as friendships. We can see in our world how they can break easily…

The Queen of England… well, of UK has no political power. Elisabeth Braddock, only answering to the Queen, is undermining the UK government (which really don't need it).

I agree on one point: Genosha and Utopia have failed because they didn't try to find allies outside the mutant realm…
    I would definitely like to see more of this subject displayed on the page but we have the human workers at Greenspace, so they must agree with what the mutants are trying to accomplish with clean energy at the least.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I like everything.
    I dislike nothing.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I like everything.
    I dislike nothing.

High five because it takes strength to be breezy.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Attach "Easy, Breezy, Beautful CoverGirl)" gif.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

My only real issue is the resurrection.

I understand that part of the problem comes before Krakoa, too much death (unnecessary death) in this books and i can see why Hickman doesnt want to bring back every mutant in one on one.

The problem is that the resurrection machine is still online, which makes them virtually inmortal and for me at least, it takes a lot from the story. I know that you dont need death to make a story interesting and danger can come from many other ways but removing the possibility of death, well, i like the risk in the story, just dont kill the characters and you dont need to resurrect them.

I prefer that the resurrection was used once for the mutants that he needs and then take it away. From here, start building the story and not killing characters like flies.
    Last edited by Lapsus; 01-11-2020 at 09:15 AM.

We arent seeing any objections amongst the X-men/utants

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    My only real issue is the resurrection.

I understand that part of the problem comes before Krakoa, too much death (unnecessary death) in this books and i can see why Hickman doesnt want to bring back every mutant in one on one.

The problem is that the resurrection machine is still online, which makes them virtually inmortal and for me at least, it takes a lot from the story. I know that you dont need death to make a story interesting and danger can come from many other ways but removing the possibility of death, well, i like the risk in the story, just dont kill the characters and you dont need to resurrect them.

I prefer that the resurrection was used once for the mutants that he needs and then take it away. From here, start building the story and not killing characters like flies.
    The Ressurection system isn't permanent but it's inclusion does more story telling potential for future writers and I think that's pretty exciting having certain talks about existential thinking like we have between Beast and Jean is ths stuff I live for lol

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I agree the resurrection thing is just cheap as all get out, and trivialized a lot of earlier stories now

It also is being abused in XForce to show a bunch of gross gore just b/c they can get away with it (although in Domino's case she is living with a badly brutalized body...)

For me the question could come in like say Mystique finally confronts Moira, in a 1 on 1. Moira ends up putting her down and "resets" her to avoid memories of what sparked that conflict... things like that can get interesting

Also just in general the whole issue of "what consciousness do you back someone up at" like how Vulcan, Pyro, Shinobi Shaw, others... are apparently being revived with missing memories which are CRUCIAL to their essence as characters really. It's a tricky ethical topic I mean you want to avoid them becoming supervillains again but at what cost, aren't you forcing them to have a new personality? That's not right.
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 01-11-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Mighty Member

I've voiced that rocking with certain villains is just a powder keg waiting to explode, but beyond that... it just feels really haphazard. Like for all the effort presumably put forth to make the nation work... a lot of it feels like it's flying by the seat of its pants.

Amazing Member

In the Marvel universe death has been a resolving door for a long time and realistically isn't going to change anytime soon so the Resurrection protocols just give a in-universe explanation for why death is a resolving door for mutants which for me is better than character randomly coming back for no reason or some recon to bring back characters as for past events being trivialised personally I don't consider the Dark Phoenix Sage to be trivialised just because Jean is brought back latter.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    The Ressurection system isn't permanent but it's inclusion does more story telling potential for future writers and I think that's pretty exciting having certain talks about existential thinking like we have between Beast and Jean is ths stuff I live for lol
    Agreed. Before Krakoa, any time someone would die I would think, "how long before they come back?"
    So now we have an interesting and new take on the whole death thing. It's created this sense that the mutants are now invincible and yet it's extremely fragile and can be lost before they know it. To me, that's the new-ness I'm here for and I'm glad it sparks conversation.