Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I like that we can see mutants having down time on the island and knowing that their base isn't going to get blown up every two minutes. One attack force managed to get onto the island, and now they upped their defences considerably.

I like that mutants are trying to proactively save mutants world wide and proactively fighting against the forces of genocide that want to kill mutant kind. I would love one thing though, just like on Utopia, I would love for some other refugees to ask Krakoa for help and see what happens. It would be interesting if Emma stepped in and did the same as last time and advocated that the refugees should be allowed to join Krakoa if they wish to. I would like for that to be a conversation that they have at a council meeting about whether they should be trying to save other people who are fleeing from the same places where they rescue mutants. Perhaps in Russia some gay kids were travelling with the mutants in the hope of escaping persecution and being allowed to go to Krakoa. Or in Brazil some of the Indigenous population is trying to flee the Brazilian government and joined up with the mutants and tried to stay with them to seek asylum on Krakoa.

It would also be interesting if these human refugees realized how different the culture is on Krakoa, lol, some of them might actually get frightened and want to leave.

I think that's my only criticism, I would like to see the mutants realizing that it might be to their advantage to have human allies who want to stand with them on the island. But other than that, I love this new direction, I love that the mutants have their own homeland where they can feel safe from global persecution.
    Good luck with humans long term on krakoa as Krakoa feed on them. That is dangerous to humans
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-09-2020 at 07:49 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Well, if you are reading Marauders, that book is about them enjoying who they are more often than not. And even the dark books are in place because there is a happy and safe home base to keep that way. It's not a dreary uphill battle as they have already gotten over the jump and have established their existence firmly.

I just like that there is an underlying current of hope, rather than dread.

Of course, there is the weirdness with wanting to capture Franklin and the island is feeding on them all, and creeper evil mutants are chilling on the island, but that's all good potential story conflict that isn't just about mutant kind on the way to oblivion.
    So what would you say makes the island feel like a home for the mutants, in your opinion? Is it just because of the idea of what they might be able to do or from what you've seen them doing?

Might I ask: what is this current of hope you've seen? Are there any examples or is it just from, say, books like Marauders? Or the idea of it in general?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    it is all weird, I guess sextant is the most normal. Doesn't look like a place you would spend a lo tthere
    Would you say that the weirdness of Krakoa presents a detachment from the characters, at all?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Oh wow, so this has hit a pretty personal note for you? Do you feel the characters, maybe, have lost a bit of chemistry with each other because of this? Or just in general since the Krakoan era?
    It seems that way, but then we get a cute scene between Wolverine and Domino in X-Force and it feels completely natural. I’d like to see Storm and Jean swimming in The Reservoir, Wolverine and Gambit sparring in the Arena, Magneto and Charles waking up in bed

Each book has its own version of Krakoa. In a way that’s cool but I wish there was more consistency so I could pin it all down and get a sense of how these people live.

Also: What's kept you from not disconnecting from the characters, do you think?
    I’ve read enough Hickman to be comfortable with the coolness and aloofness of his writing. The characters still feel like themselves to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    It seems that way, but then we get a cute scene between Wolverine and Domino in X-Force and it feels completely natural. I’d like to see Storm and Jean swimming in The Reservoir, Wolverine and Gambit sparring in the Arena, Magneto and Charles waking up in bed

Each book has its own version of Krakoa. In a way that’s cool but I wish there was more consistency so I could pin it all down and get a sense of how these people live.

I’ve read enough Hickman to be comfortable with the coolness and aloofness of his writing. The characters still feel like themselves to me.

So it definitely needs to feel more lived-in, is what you're saying; more of the little stuff that comes with the characters?

On the last point though: how do the characters still feel like themselves, in your opinion? Is there any way for those who don't feel that to maybe be able to?

Would you say that the weirdness of Krakoa presents a detachment from the characters, at all?
    Maybe a bit, but my disconnection to characters is more about characterization. Bad characterizations screams louder. The place doesn't help, as it also feels very isolating
    It's hard to care about Krakoa when it looks so not memorable and very like a jungle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Maybe a bit, but my disconnection to characters is more about characterization. Bad characterizations screams louder. The place doesn't help, as it also feels very isolating
    It's hard to care about Krakoa when it looks so not memorable and very like a jungle.
    Oh I definitely agree with that; and, because of the characterisation issues would you say the new environment feels all the more of an issue? Like, do you think if the change were less drastic then, perhaps, the characterisation issues wouldn't be much of a problem? Or, say, if you were maybe able to hear more of the characters' voices in a familiar manner, then the transition might have been easier? Do you think that would have made Krakoa feel more at-home for them?

BANNED

So it definitely needs to feel more lived-in, is what you're saying; more of the little stuff that comes with the characters?
    Yeah

On the last point though: how do the characters still feel like themselves, in your opinion? Is there any way for those who don't feel that to maybe be able to?
    I think it just comes down to personal taste. The characters are a bit...sterile, but they’re more or less who they’ve always been with a few exceptions.

BANNED

So what would you say makes the island feel like a home for the mutants, in your opinion? Is it just because of the idea of what they might be able to do or from what you've seen them doing?

Might I ask: what is this current of hope you've seen? Are there any examples or is it just from, say, books like Marauders? Or the idea of it in general?
    The hope is in Krakoa being a place that has a seat at the world table and engages other world powers from a mostly-secure position. It's in the notion that mutants have the power to bring each other back from death, so they aren't fighting total annihilation in every major story. There's a gate to Krakoa almost everywhere and sprawling biomes scattered around. Mutants can breathe and expand. Characters are talking about having babies, which is not like my age group in the U.S. because apparently we are seeing the birthrate drop because we don't feel safe in real life lol.

Where there is still some darkness, and some darkness and conflict is needed, is in their approach now that their backs aren't against the wall. I mean the plan to watch the human strand of mankind die is fairly questionable to me. It's not heroic.

But overall, the tone of the franchise is in a brighter place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I think it just comes down to personal taste. The characters are a bit...sterile, but they’re more or less who they’ve always been with a few exceptions.
    So you don't think they're lacking any spirit or heart so far, even with this sterility? Do you think there's any way to possibly... make do...with that sterility though for the more...well...character-focussed readers? How do you see it?

The only thing I hate is that Prodigy is not on it.
    Repowered and magically superior to everyone else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The hope is in Krakoa being a place that has a seat at the world table and engages other world powers from a mostly-secure position. It's in the notion that mutants have the power to bring each other back from death, so they aren't fighting total annihilation in every major story. There's a gate to Krakoa almost everywhere and sprawling biomes scattered around. Mutants can breathe and expand. Characters are talking about having babies, which is not like my age group in the U.S. because apparently we are seeing the birthrate drop because we don't feel safe in real life lol.

Where there is still some darkness, and some darkness and conflict is needed, is in their approach now that their backs aren't against the wall. I mean the plan to watch the human strand of mankind die is fairly questionable to me. It's not heroic.

But overall, the tone of the franchise is in a brighter place.
    So you'd say that the hope is more of an abstract-ish, or political thing? Something you feel comes from the idea of a future? Or does it from the emotion you're able to infer from the text, rather than the characters, or...? What have the characters done, aside from declaring Krakoa as a nation, to give off such hope in your opinion, if at all?

No extinction stories and no @#$%&* humans in Krakoa allowing mutants to dream of having normal lives with their children without killer robots or religious fanatics appearing at their doorstep each week.

Nothing too complicated to understand.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    No extinction stories and no @#$%&* humans in Krakoa allowing mutants to dream of having normal lives with their children without killer robots or religious fanatics appearing at their doorstep each week.

Nothing too complicated to understand.
    So does that attitude extend to all humans, if I may ask? What about friends, relatives? People they might want to share those normal lives with? Do they not factor in to that, or are we to believe all bridges should be burned? (And, please, keep in mind; this is a serious thread meant for introspective discussion between users)
    Last edited by Domino_Dare-Doll; 01-09-2020 at 08:21 PM.

BANNED

So you'd say that the hope is more of an abstract-ish, or political thing? Something you feel comes from the idea of a future? Or does it from the emotion you're able to infer from the text, rather than the characters, or...? What have the characters done, aside from declaring Krakoa as a nation, to give off such hope in your opinion, if at all?
    It's more abstract-ish right now, but moments like the X-Men feeling good enough to talk about kids, their economic influence, their separation from the extinction threat, have indicated a nice setup that can allow the muties to relax a bit.

I think the forced idea that every mutant is close friends with every other mutant is supposed to signify a happier, more livable time as well, though you know I take issue with that a bit. I think as we go forward and hopefully get more time for the characters to be explored we'll get more show, rather than tell, as far as how the muties feel safe on Krakoa. Them not worrying about dying off is a huge step in that direction.