Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Writer reveals the secret of Rey's characterization. Will Finn get a last name?

I linked to the article.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas.../#22b2a565776d

“We think of Star Wars as a fairytale. Two twins: One is sent off to be a farmer and one is sent off to be a princess. Rey is kind of both.”

Straight from the mouth of the Writer, folks. It's obvious that Rey has no personality so their strategy was to keep giving her Force power ups and cool things associated with other characters. They gave her Luke and Leia's orgin, Chewie, the Falcon, Anakin's chosen one status etc.

Finn needs to steal a last name. If Rey can do it he can do it. He should call himself Finn Solo
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-10-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

In some early TFA materials he sort of did have a last name, although a kind of tongue in cheek one: "John Doe".
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    In some early TFA materials he sort of did have a last name, although a kind of tongue in cheek one: "John Doe".
    Rey has Luke's X-Wing and the Falcon and Chewie lol. Can Finn at least have a last name? Knowing Rey she will just figure out a way to take that as well. Man, I still can't believe that was the strategy for the main character. Make her overpowered and keep giving her cool stuff associated with other characters so no one will notice that she has no personality.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

I actually read somewhere JJ Abrams was a Luke/Leia shipper.

I think there still a story to be told about Finn becoming more connected to the force and realizing where he is really from before the First Order kidnapped him.

Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
    I think there still a story to be told about Finn becoming more connected to the force and realizing where he is really from before the First Order kidnapped him.
    Nah, I think Disney is done with this era. Disney accomplished what they set out to do.

1. Kill all the original characters but not before a good dose of character assassination, so the new characters look good by comparison.

2. Make all their sacrifices for nothing.

3. Make sure that their "Marey" Sue character is the best ever and defeats the evil no one else could defeat. Give her all the iconic stuff associated with other characters so she will become iconic by association.

4. Make a billion dollars while lowering expectations for the next set of films.

Mighty Member

I suspect it will continue in comics and books.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    That will all feature Kylo Ren.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    That will all feature Kylo Ren.
    They killed him off so it would have to be prequels.
    He was my favourite character in the ST , but I did read somewhere that Kathleen Kennedy liked the trio of Poe, Finn and Rey and wanted to explore more of it, so they'll probably get ongoings of their own.

They killed him off so it would have to be prequels.
    He was my favourite character in the ST , but I did read somewhere that Kathleen Kennedy liked the trio of Poe, Finn and Rey and wanted to explore more of it, so they'll probably get ongoings of their own.
    Own ongoing titles for all three? I doubt it. Poe and Finn would be squeezed into one title. Rey would have to get one but no one is going to read it unless Marvel figures out a way to have Kylo guest star every other issue. Rey isn't very interesting....

Could be. On the other hand, the current model is make a movie and then fill in the gaps around it. Because of that, I kinda wonder if the post-TROS era might be left open in the event that the cast gets back together for another film project. Could also see an animated TV show working; the TV tie-ins seem a lot closer linked to the films then the comics or the books.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I linked to the article.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas.../#22b2a565776d

“We think of Star Wars as a fairytale. Two twins: One is sent off to be a farmer and one is sent off to be a princess. Rey is kind of both.”

Straight from the mouth of the Writer, folks. It's obvious that Rey has no personality so their strategy was to keep giving her Force power ups and cool things associated with other characters. They gave her Luke and Leia's orgin, Chewie, the Falcon, Anakin's chosen one status etc.

Finn needs to steal a last name. If Rey can do it he can do it. He should call himself Finn Solo
    Oh god, these writers actually think Rey is a proper character. She is a self insert of Kathleen Kennedy. a bland Mary Sue. She is not Luke or Leia.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Oh god, these writers actually think Rey is a proper character. She is a self insert of Kathleen Kennedy. a bland Mary Sue. She is not Luke or Leia.
    I liked her in the first two, but they destroyed her character in TROS.
    I was genuinely startled to discover that when she 'died' at the end, I felt nothing.

loved how mauler on youtube said "why is she hanging out with bb8? he is poe´s droid! give him back you greedy cow!"
    ofc she is not a mary sue. mary sue should be altered to rey infact.
    so glad r2d2 got out of her grasp
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    loved how mauler on youtube said "why is she hanging out with bb8? he is poe´s droid! give him back you greedy cow!"
    ofc she is not a mary sue. mary sue should be altered to rey infact.
    so glad r2d2 got out of her grasp
    R2D2 knows what's up.

And you know what is really messed up?

1. WE HAVE NO PROOF THAT THE EMPEROR IS DEAD! Homeboy will be back next week.

2. Rey will train the next generation. The character who started training in the third movie because the powers that be got tired of the fans asking why she never trained.

3. Eventually baby/kid Yoda will end up in this crap. You know it's going to happen. Rey has to be given popular stuff so she herself will appear popular. What is the last thing left in this timeline that people care about that hasn't been given to Rey? Baby/kid Yoda.