Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Nah, I think Disney is done with this era. Disney accomplished what they set out to do.

1. Kill all the original characters but not before a good dose of character assassination, so the new characters look good by comparison.

2. Make all their sacrifices for nothing.

3. Make sure that their "Marey" Sue character is the best ever and defeats the evil no one else could defeat. Give her all the iconic stuff associated with other characters so she will become iconic by association.

4. Make a billion dollars while lowering expectations for the next set of films.
    It was never reasonable to expect the sequel trilogy to be about the continuing adventures of the original cast. Those actors are way past their prime now, and all of them resented their association franchise and how it overshadowed the rest of their careers, and so their appearances were never going to be more than token fanservice. And obviously there is a degree of self insertion wish fulfillment with Rey, but no more so than with any other action hero, and it's absurd for fanboys to fixate on minor details like how well she can fly a spaceship rather than the actual problem of Daisy Ridley just not being a strong enough performer to carry a film on her own. And Star Wars has always had this problem, due to the insistence on casting unknowns in the lead roles, but at least with the previous films they made sure to give them stronger performers to bounce off of. Ridley just didn't have much chemistry with her supporting cast aside from Adam Driver, and they never went all in on the love story like they probably should have, most likely because they feared too much fan backlash over turning Star Wars in Twilight or something.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I actually read somewhere JJ Abrams was a Luke/Leia shipper.
    Did he cry himself to sleep when he learned that they were siblings?

But well, must admit, if there is one thing i truly dislike about the OT it's that lame "reveal" in Return of the Jedi. So out of the blue, so ridiculous.

And so much for the Force really, those force sensitive fools have known each other for years but all of a sudden they are all like "yeah, i have always known it, sure, want some more blue milk?" lol.

Screw that.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

But well, must admit, if there is one thing i truly dislike about the OT it's that lame "reveal" in Return of the Jedi. So out of the blue, so ridiculous.

And so much for the Force really, those force sensitive fools have known each other for years but all of a sudden they are all like "yeah, i have always known it, sure, want some more blue milk?" lol.

Screw that.
    So many euphemisms ... :O
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
    I think there still a story to be told about Finn becoming more connected to the force and realizing where he is really from before the First Order kidnapped him.
    This franchise wouldn't let him be a jedi, they wouldn't let him hook up with leading lady, and they waited to the very last moment of the last movie to even let Finn sniff at being a good leader. A last name would be a gift from the gods.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    This franchise wouldn't let him be a jedi, they wouldn't let him hook up with leading lady, and they waited to the very last moment of the last movie to even let Finn sniff at being a good leader. A last name would be a gift from the gods.
    Well apparently the FO Stormtroopers leaving because they are Force-sensitive is turning into a thing (at the Academy screening of the film, JJ, during an audience Q&A, said that Finn was going to spill the beans that he was Force-sensitive). It appears to be a plot point that will lead into why Kylo wanted a clone army (but one with a variety of clones) because then you would not get Force-sensitive troopers. It also sounds like finding these trooper's families will be a plot point.

I'm sure he'll get a last name in time for it to be tossed aside in favor of a new trilogy of movies in 15-20 years.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-13-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

Screw that.
    There is the scene in EMPIRE where Leia hears Luke through the force and can figure out his location, which was kind of a clue that she was at least force-sensitive. Then again, it's the same movie with the big kiss when Luke is recovering....

Also Lucas had some story notes for Star Wars that gave the characters a bit of extra background, such as Han basically being an Imperial dropout which was adopted by the EU and later the films, and some of 3PO's backstory was put into the prequels.
    The one about Leia is kind of curious though, it states that she had other siblings who died on Alderaan(!). Then again I'm assuming Bail was intended to be the real father.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well apparently the FO Stormtroopers leaving because they are Force-sensitive is turning into a thing (at the Academy screening of the film, JJ, during an audience Q&A, said that Finn was going to spill the beans that he was Force-sensitive). It appears to be a plot point that will lead into why Kylo wanted a clone army (but one with a variety of clones) because then you would not get Force-sensitive troopers. It also sounds like finding these trooper's families will be a plot point.

I'm sure he'll get a last name in time for it to be tossed aside in favor of a new trilogy of movies in 15-20 years.
    Eh, what directors say in interviews doesn't matter, within the context of the film it was pretty clear that Finn was going to declare his love for Rey, because if you think that you're about to die why would it even matter if you had Jedi powers or not? But I guess they thought that it made him look even more like a sad sack loser than he already was, so they just left it kind of ambiguous even though it wouldn't make sense for it to be anything else. Honestly, Finn doesn't have much of a purpose in the actual movies at all, his main role was basically just to be the decoy protagonist that would get all the pre-release marketing hype to make Rey's reveal in Ep. 7 more dramatic. After that, there wasn't much for him to do other than get wrapped up in random side plots which don't contribute anything to the main story.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There is the scene in EMPIRE where Leia hears Luke through the force and can figure out his location, which was kind of a clue that she was at least force-sensitive. Then again, it's the same movie with the big kiss when Luke is recovering....

Also Lucas had some story notes for Star Wars that gave the characters a bit of extra background, such as Han basically being an Imperial dropout which was adopted by the EU and later the films, and some of 3PO's backstory was put into the prequels.
    The one about Leia is kind of curious though, it states that she had other siblings who died on Alderaan(!). Then again I'm assuming Bail was intended to be the real father.
    Most likely, Leia was originally intended to hook up with Luke but in the process of making the movie she just had a lot more obvious chemistry with Han, and so the sibling bit was thrown in there to avoid making the main hero into the third wheel of a love triangle. Also, for all those who decry the Disneyfication of Star Wars, if you think about it Leia has a very tenuous claim to being a princess and was definitely only made one for marketing and merchandising purposes. Since when was being the adopted daughter of a senator enough to make someone royalty? Though I suppose that's not as bad as Padme being an elected queen with freakin' term limits! I feel like Disney does deserve some credit for giving Rey a bona fide imperial bloodline and NOT milking that to sell dolls.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 01-13-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Eh, what directors say in interviews doesn't matter, within the context of the film it was pretty clear that Finn was going to declare his love for Rey, because if you think that you're about to die why would it even matter if you had Jedi powers or not? But I guess they thought that it made him look even more like a sad sack loser than he already was, so they just left it kind of ambiguous even though it wouldn't make sense for it to be anything else. Honestly, Finn doesn't have much of a purpose in the actual movies at all, his main role was basically just to be the decoy protagonist that would get all the pre-release marketing hype to make Rey's reveal in Ep. 7 more dramatic. After that, there wasn't much for him to do other than get wrapped up in random side plots which don't contribute anything to the main story.
    Did you miss the part when Rey dies, Finn felt her die through the Force? They even composed the shot like others in the franchise when somebody feels death via the Force.

That's a load of evidence in 3 films for Finn's Force-sensitivity, where there is none for Finn's love after TFA.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think the idea was that Luke was successfully sending a Force message and that anyone he had tried to reach would've gotten the call, but it works accidentally as foreshadowing to Leia's own Force-iness in later installments. That said, we have seen that Force users can tie into non-Force users for things like that. There's that scene in ROTS where both Anakin and Padme seem to be aware that the other is thinking about them and under stress. I could even see such an explanation being used for TROS if the Powers That Be want to undo the behind-the-scenes idea that Finn had some degree of Force-sensitivity; the key argument is that he seems to realize that Rey died on Exegol despite them being in different places and having no contact. On the other hand, given the Anakin/Padme scene, a fair case could be made that even if Finn wasn't Force-sensitive, he still might've been able to tell that Rey was in trouble just due to their own relationship being an important one.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The princess thing I think is because Bail and his wife on Alderaan are royalty, not really because of his senatorship or her familial relationship with ex-Queen Padme. While Bail has been referred to in some sources as Viceroy or Prince, Leia's foster mother is still canonically Queen Breha.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It was never reasonable to expect the sequel trilogy to be about the continuing adventures of the original cast. Those actors are way past their prime now, and all of them resented their association franchise and how it overshadowed the rest of their careers, and so their appearances were never going to be more than token fanservice.

While some actors can still make comebacks even in action roles at a later age (Stallone I think is a pretty good example), I can't see it quite working as much with Ford and the others. The last Indiana Jones movie for instance honestly didn't have Ford do that much of the action apart from the fist fights when you think about it. (Han is less physically taxing for the most part as he mostly runs, shoots, and pilots).

Part of the reason I think a lot of the Star Trek TOS films worked so well is that they took the actor's aging into account, especially the Nick Meyer films. I don't think we quite saw as much of that in SW though.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Own ongoing titles for all three? I doubt it. Poe and Finn would be squeezed into one title. Rey would have to get one but no one is going to read it unless Marvel figures out a way to have Kylo guest star every other issue. Rey isn't very interesting....

Poe held his own book for 3 years.

Rey had stories about her in terms of arcs in the IDW Star Wars book.

Finn never got a shot. Only 2 stories of him caring for animals.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

He also got an origin story like the other three in the Before the Awakening novel, and his own novelization.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Did you miss the part when Rey dies, Finn felt her die through the Force? They even composed the shot like others in the franchise when somebody feels death via the Force.

That's a load of evidence in 3 films for Finn's Force-sensitivity, where there is none for Finn's love after TFA.
    2 Films, The Last Jedi really didn't have anything with Finn in the Force with it.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Finn suffered from the choice to make the time line for TLJ immediately after TFA and him being in a coma the entire time. Also with him being an ex-stromtropper for the First Order after being taken as a young child and his first military engagement was on Jakku at the opening of TFA Finn did not have much room for expansion until now which I'm sure will happen.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Unfortunately a lot of the before trilogy Finn stories pretty much deal with him doing the janitor stuff, as I think was a topic on these boards a while back. Most of the post-TLJ stuff pretty much teams him with Poe.