Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Question What kind of X-Men reader are you?

I feel like this is an important question:

What kind of X-Men reader are you? Are you the type who needs it to be immersed and connected to the rest of the Marvel universe? Is continuity a deal-breaker for you? Perhaps you're more of an emotional reader, here for the experience? Or are you strictly character based?

What's your type and why do you think that's so?

Does anything impact how you read? Your own experiences or situations, perhaps? Or, say, other fans' opinions or reactions? If so, what can we do to mitigate this? (Or, enhance should you feel the need?)

Where are you coming from in all this? And how can we all see each other's points' of views?

Please, be respectful. This is not a thread meant to deride or insult others. If you want to challenge an opinion or query it, keep it in the context of asking why

I feel like it might do us all good to try and see where we're coming from?

I just read about the characters I care about. That's it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'm very much the same, but experiences can differ depending on how they're handled. Is that the same for you, do you find? What impacts that, if anything?

BANNED

im invested in the characthers and the worldbuilding of krakoa across all books, its very interesting and immersive to me, even on a visual term with all the difrent parts of the island, makes my creative juices run like never before

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    im invested in the characthers and the worldbuilding of krakoa across all books, its very interesting and immersive to me, even on a visual term with all the difrent parts of the island, makes my creative juices run like never before
    So what makes world-building so immersive to you? Is it how it impacts the characters, or does it have nothing to do with that? What affects how invested in the characters you are or continue to stay? Have you ever just...'dropped' a character, so to speak?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    So what makes world-building so immersive to you? Is it how it impacts the characters, or does it have nothing to do with that? What affects how invested in the characters you are or continue to stay? Have you ever just...'dropped' a character, so to speak?
    well, it doesnt affect my attachment but it makes reading the books more enjoyable since each page with krakoan architecture and insides, each plant tech and comments about their new life makes me more interested and builds krakoa, its something added on top of it, its like krakoa is its own characther with difrent sides being shown alongside the mutants.

Drop a characther, never not really, interest fluctuates but i will always like them.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

This is my deal. 95% of stories I get into, it's certain chars. I like. Makes for tons of frustration, but is what it is. Lol

That's why I'm rarely around much now.

BANNED

well, it doesnt affect my attachment but it makes reading the books more enjoyable since each page with krakoan architecture and insides, each plant tech and comments about their new life makes me more interested and builds krakoa, its something added on top of it, its like krakoa is its own characther with difrent sides being shown alongside the mutants.

Drop a characther, never not really, interest fluctuates but i will always like them.
    Well that sounds really nice; can I ask how so? Like, what about the architecture or tech interests you? Is it only aesthetic, or...? And would you say that's a big factor in how you view the outlook for mutants right now in regards to their new life? What about that, in particular, is important to you?

So what dictates what holds or loses your interest in them, do you think? Could you ever picture yourself ever suddenly disliking a character or how they're handled? What do you think it would take for you to drop one?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    This is my deal. 95% of stories I get into, it's certain chars. I like. Makes for tons of frustration, but is what it is. Lol

That's why I'm rarely around much now.
    Ok, see, I feel this on a spiritual level. What do you find frustrates you most in this regard? Is it how the characters are handled, the situations they're in, the world...?

BANNED

Well that sounds really nice; can I ask how so? Like, what about the architecture or tech interests you? Is it only aesthetic, or...? And would you say that's a big factor in how you view the outlook for mutants right now in regards to their new life? What about that, in particular, is important to you?

So what dictates what holds or loses your interest in them, do you think? Could you ever picture yourself ever suddenly disliking a character or how they're handled? What do you think it would take for you to drop one?
    to put it simply, its like the characthers are the food, and the rest of the worldbuilng are the nice porcelaine plate, the nice polished walnut wood table, the silverware, the wine glass and the good company, it helps the whole experience because i just love concept art and worldbuiling, i love how helfire bay looks, the nature and futuristic based architecture, the more traditional stone work with the krakoan plants in excalibur, its all very expansive and well done and it adds a lot to my personal experience.

the x-men always had a lot to their concept, but its now being elevated in so many difrent ways, it makes it feel more fantastic and deep

BANNED

to put it simply, its like the characthers are the food, and the rest of the worldbuilng are the nice porcelaine plate, the nice polished walnut wood table, the silverware, the wine glass and the good company, it helps the whole experience because i just love concept art and worldbuiling, i love how helfire bay looks, the nature and futuristic based architecture, the more traditional stone work with the krakoan plants in excalibur, its all very expansive and well done and it adds a lot to my personal experience
    So you feel like it could be a real place, really? Somewhere you could see yourself strolling down and wanting to live? That's interesting!

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I feel like this is an important question:

What kind of X-Men reader are you? Are you the type who needs it to be immersed and connected to the rest of the Marvel universe? Is continuity a deal-breaker for you? Perhaps you're more of an emotional reader, here for the experience? Or are you strictly character based?

What's your type and why do you think that's so?

Does anything impact how you read? Your own experiences or situations, perhaps? Or, say, other fans' opinions or reactions? If so, what can we do to mitigate this? (Or, enhance should you feel the need?)

Where are you coming from in all this? And how can we all see each other's points' of views?

Please, be respectful. This is not a thread meant to deride or insult others. If you want to challenge an opinion or query it, keep it in the context of asking why

I feel like it might do us all good to try and see where we're coming from?
    I don't care about the rest of the Marvel Universe too much although if done WELL it can enrich the X-Lore to bring in connections at times.

Continuity matters to me in the same way that making things feel realistic matters. Obviously it'll never be PERFECT this is all made up. But it shouldn't have huge glaring errors that can take me out of the experience yknow?

I care more about story: i feel character choice/their portrayal ought to tie into the overall plot being told , not the other way around. But I recognize it's often backwards due to the fact many readers only buy issues due to certain characters.

I usually try not to read community opinions on upcoming issues until I read them in full myself to avoid being "tainted". But I do enjoy hearing other opinions and it can help me formulate mine afterwards.

I don't think everyone will ever fully agree because as you imply we come at this from different life backgrounds. Political differences exist for reasons yknow? It's not something that will change on an internet forum.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I don't care about the rest of the Marvel Universe too much although if done WELL it can enrich the X-Lore to bring in connections at times.

Continuity matters to me in the same way that making things feel realistic matters. Obviously it'll never be PERFECT this is all made up. But it shouldn't have huge glaring errors that can take me out of the experience yknow?

I care more about story: i feel character choice/their portrayal ought to tie into the overall plot being told , not the other way around. But I recognize it's often backwards due to the fact many readers only buy issues due to certain characters.

I usually try not to read community opinions on upcoming issues until I read them in full myself to avoid being "tainted". But I do enjoy hearing other opinions and it can help me formulate mine afterwards.

I don't think everyone will ever fully agree because as you imply we come at this from different life backgrounds. Political differences exist for reasons yknow? It's not something that will change on an internet forum.
    That's an interesting point: Do you ever find yourself having...a certain expectation of characters, despite this? Would you say you're not often informed by previous portrayals and can, therefore, 'detach' yourself in a way? You don't really need much justification for, say, Gambit not thinking to use his bow-staff to prevent a fall if had been a prominent feature under a previous writer?

Also, what would you consider a glaring continuity error? What potentially takes you out of the experience?

And, because as you rightly say, we all come from different backgrounds and experiences: Would you say there's only 'one' correct way to interpret these stories with that in mind?

BANNED

So you feel like it could be a real place, really? Somewhere you could see yourself strolling down and wanting to live? That's interesting!
    yeah and its more interesting than the mansion/utopia/sewers whatever mutants were pushed into, its more interesting

This
    10 char