Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    That's an interesting point: Do you ever find yourself having...a certain expectation of characters, despite this? Would you say you're not often informed by previous portrayals and can, therefore, 'detach' yourself in a way? You don't really need much justification for, say, Gambit not thinking to use his bow-staff to prevent a fall if had been a prominent feature under a previous writer?

Also, what would you consider a glaring continuity error? What potentially takes you out of the experience?

And, because as you rightly say, we all come from different backgrounds and experiences: Would you say there's only 'one' correct way to interpret these stories with that in mind?
    Yes I definitely believe that if a character has been written recently in a certain way, then the next writer to use them ought to respect that. If they want to make a change it's incumbent on them to 1) acknowledge this even IS a change 2) try to justify/explain why the change happens. I do indeed feel there is such a thing as "Out of Character" writing but again, over the course of time I accept a character can change. And yeah "Plot-Induced Stupidity" happens but that's largely because characters are WAY too powerful lol. Especially mutants, there are many of them with extremely wacked-out abilities and so for there to be ANY tension or drama, they have to not always use their powers absolutely intelligently.

I definitely think a GOOD story allows for multiple interpretations. In fact I would go as far as to say the experience of readers thinking and feeling their way through a story is CO-CREATING the work. So the original author/artist are not sole creators to me. Coming up with interpretations or getting inspired is an innate part of the artform
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I approach all my entertainment the same way (comics, movies, novels, short stories, audio dramas, oral storytelling, etc.) in that not one thing attracts me or holds my attention.

Artistic style (say a distinctive director, a writer like Grant Morrison, or an distinctive illustrator) might be what draws me in. In other cases interesting character work. In others high-concept or novel execution of an idea.

World building and greater continuity can be great but isn't something that I either gravitate towards or not - sometimes it's awesome and sometimes it drags story ideas down.

Regarding character portrayal, in the same way that the same character in oral cultures morphed per region and to fit different times and audience needs (for example the Germanic Sigurd in his various iterations across Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and German areas) I don't have a problem with characters acting "out of character" if it serves the story and the purpose of the story (even if that purpose is just to entertain in the way the author wants to entertain).

When a majority of those things are no longer to my taste, I move on to something else and don't let it bother me too much. I used to get more frustrated about artistic choices that weren't to my taste and discovered that just letting it go made life a lot more enjoyable for me.

BANNED

This is the most humanely accurate description of the type of XFan I am.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    I approach all my entertainment the same way (comics, movies, novels, short stories, audio dramas, oral storytelling, etc.) in that not one thing attracts me or holds my attention.

Artistic style (say a distinctive director, a writer like Grant Morrison, or an distinctive illustrator) might be what draws me in. In other cases interesting character work. In others high-concept or novel execution of an idea.

World building and greater continuity can be great but isn't something that I either gravitate towards or not - sometimes it's awesome and sometimes it drags story ideas down.

Regarding character portrayal, in the same way that the same character in oral cultures morphed per region and to fit different times and audience needs (for example the Germanic Sigurd in his various iterations across Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and German areas) I don't have a problem with characters acting "out of character" if it serves the story and the purpose of the story (even if that purpose is just to entertain in the way the author wants to entertain).

When a majority of those things are no longer to my taste, I move on to something else and don't let it bother me too much. I used to get more frustrated about artistic choices that weren't to my taste and discovered that just letting it go made life a lot more enjoyable for me.
    Now, see, as an autistic person, my experience is so different, I'm fascinated: How do you retain that level of detachment? How do you become so...flexible, in what you consume?

And what would you consider high-concept or a novel execution? And, if so, why? What differs it from anything else you've seen?

So, you'd say you're the type of reader who...doesn't 'expect' characters to react a certain way? You don't have an established standard even in what's been written before or considered a 'core value' of someone? That can be easily ignored, or...?

Can I ask: how did you learn to let go? What's that like? How do you not mourn for these characters? What fills that void left behind? (or does the void not happen for you?)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post

This is the most humanely accurate description of the type of XFan I am.
    You're...saying you're Alexis? Or that you see yourself in the characters? Or things that you like in the characters that you want to emulate?

Right now, only read for Polaris, and only when she's treated well and respectfully.

I used to read books like X-Men Legacy earlier cause Lorna was going to show up there eventually, or books like Bunn's Magneto solo because I figured it was relevant to Lorna by association even if she were to never show up. I saw it as something where gradual exposure to associated characters would build my interest outward til I was into all of it. Marvel's treatment of Lorna after 2015 has soured me on that approach, so I don't do it anymore. No point if what I care most about won't be respected in the grand scheme.

A lot of things impact my reading (or, rather, the fact I'm not reading anything anymore). Experiences with Marvel and companies that operate the same way Marvel does. Awareness of what is and isn't possible with writing, vs what Marvel actually does. Comments by editors and executives, especially in comparison to my actual lived experiences and observations in fandom.

I'm coming from a POV in which I didn't really care much about anything Marvel offered until I randomly stumbled on Polaris via the Marvel wikia entirely by myself. I didn't have a solo book, or a playable game or movie/TV appearance, or focus in a major event to make me aware of her. It had to happen by accident, because Marvel's reluctant to acknowledge she has anything to offer or give her a real chance.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

I do have favorites in X-Men but I read comics for quality, not for some crazy fanboymism in general.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Right now, only read for Polaris, and only when she's treated well and respectfully.

I used to read books like X-Men Legacy earlier cause Lorna was going to show up there eventually, or books like Bunn's Magneto solo because I figured it was relevant to Lorna by association even if she were to never show up. I saw it as something where gradual exposure to associated characters would build my interest outward til I was into all of it. Marvel's treatment of Lorna after 2015 has soured me on that approach, so I don't do it anymore. No point if what I care most about won't be respected in the grand scheme.

A lot of things impact my reading (or, rather, the fact I'm not reading anything anymore). Experiences with Marvel and companies that operate the same way Marvel does. Awareness of what is and isn't possible with writing, vs what Marvel actually does. Comments by editors and executives, especially in comparison to my actual lived experiences and observations in fandom.

I'm coming from a POV in which I didn't really care much about anything Marvel offered until I randomly stumbled on Polaris via the Marvel wikia entirely by myself. I didn't have a solo book, or a playable game or movie/TV appearance, or focus in a major event to make me aware of her. It had to happen by accident, because Marvel's reluctant to acknowledge she has anything to offer or give her a real chance.
    So how do you feel right now about Polaris and her treatment? I mean, I can expect a bit frustrate for the fact that she's not in more, but...? And, if I may, can I ask about the process that helped you gravitate towards more characters? Was it only in the X-line or was it broader? What incentive did you have to gravitate outwards? And what's stopped you reading right now? How do you feel about that? (it's ok to vent here by the way!)

And those are some interesting thoughts regarding the impacts, I've not heard much of that so far: Would you say you trust creators/editors/executives ect.? Do you trust what's promised in interviews or do you need to see it to believe it? What observations in fandoms do you mean and how does that impact your reading? For the better or worse, or does it depend?

Ah, I was similar with Batgirl: stumbled in obliviously and then imprinted hard. I found I was able to use her situation at the time and even now to help me make sense of similar troubles in my own life? I was able to reason things out through the plots I was seeing there, and which I've actually continued to do with the X-Men: Laura, Logan, Gambit and Rogue to be specific--was that the same for you, or...? What about Polaris drew you in so?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop_ View Post
    I do have favorites in X-Men but I read comics for quality, not for some crazy fanboymism in general.
    So what would you say makes a 'quality' comic, for you? What are your standards? And, what you consider 'fanboyism', if I might ask? Do you mean, like, you don't just support things for the sake of it, or...?

BANNED

Character and Continuity are to me the most important factors.

Character drives story, as everything is dependent on the character's choices. If a writer has to force characters to behave OUT of character in order to make the plot work, then he has fundamentally failed as a writer. Continuity is important because it establishes consistent characterization, and defines the character's history.

I'm a huge X-Men fan and a big comics fan in general. I've been collecting X-Men comics for 28 years, and I have almost every issue of Uncanny and X-Men. Got everything from the very first issue (in trade) through to about midway through X-Men Gold & X-Men Blue. I dropped off there because it was getting to the point where I thought they were just rehashing old stuff, like a nostalgia hit that went on waaay too long. I also have a pretty impressive collection of Avengers, Thor, Batman, Spider-Man Hellboy & Superman comics. I love this stuff, obviously.

But you're asking why I like the X-Men best? Damn, that's a tough one. Part of it is that I've been reading so long that the X-Men feel like family to me. Part of it is the idea of them being "born that way", I was born with some issues myself so I can relate to that. Part of it is the way they serve as an allegory for the oppressed. But it isn't just these things. It's hard to define, I love all the different personalities and powers, all the interpersonal soap opera drama, all the crazy space adventures and interdimensional shenanigans, all the time travel. It's just the richest superhero comic world I've ever seen. I love the X-Men.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    I'm a huge X-Men fan and a big comics fan in general. I've been collecting X-Men comics for 28 years, and I have almost every issue of Uncanny and X-Men. Got everything from the very first issue (in trade) through to about midway through X-Men Gold & X-Men Blue. I dropped off there because it was getting to the point where I thought they were just rehashing old stuff, like a nostalgia hit that went on waaay too long. I also have a pretty impressive collection of Avengers, Thor, Batman, Spider-Man Hellboy & Superman comics. I love this stuff, obviously.

But you're asking why I like the X-Men best? Damn, that's a tough one. Part of it is that I've been reading so long that the X-Men feel like family to me. Part of it is the idea of them being "born that way", I was born with some issues myself so I can relate to that. Part of it is the way they serve as an allegory for the oppressed. But it isn't just these things. It's hard to define, I love all the different personalities and powers, all the interpersonal soap opera drama, all the crazy space adventures and interdimensional shenanigans, all the time travel. It's just the richest superhero comic world I've ever seen. I love the X-Men.
    No, see, I get that completely! In fact, I think that's exactly how I feel! It's not just the idea that I was able to relate because of my autism, it's the inter-personal relationships: what happens between characters, to me, is just as important what happens to them. In fact, I don't think one can exist without the other because, surely, that's what informs the situation? That's where our emotional weight comes from, the friction, the adoration, ect! It felt like family; I saw and felt part of that and, I needed it, ya know?

So, are you still reading now, or have you dropped off completely? If you've picked up again, do you still see those qualities you love, if so, where and how?

Now, see, as an autistic person, my experience is so different, I'm fascinated: How do you retain that level of detachment? How do you become so...flexible, in what you consume?

And what would you consider high-concept or a novel execution? And, if so, why? What differs it from anything else you've seen?

So, you'd say you're the type of reader who...doesn't 'expect' characters to react a certain way? You don't have an established standard even in what's been written before or considered a 'core value' of someone? That can be easily ignored, or...?

Can I ask: how did you learn to let go? What's that like? How do you not mourn for these characters? What fills that void left behind? (or does the void not happen for you?)
    Among my creative outlets, I'm an oral storyteller, writer, and amateur voice actor who at one time worked in commercial film and video (back in the 90s). Being part of the creative process is something that helped me divorce myself emotionally from the artistic choices of others. Also, being creative myself fills the void of times when there is a lack of interesting fiction and even trumps the times when I feel there is a surplus of cool fiction.

Specifically with the superheroes of Marvel and DC, those characters being owned properties of major corporations also helped me make the choice to distance myself emotionally. I'll be damned if I'll let a mega-corp benefit from my emotional attachment to characters that ultimately serve them and their profits.

If they provide a product I wish to purchase, I will do so. But I'll definitely not continue to give someone money, or even my emotional energy, for creating something I don't like or even would actively hate.

For "High Concept" stuff, it's on a case-by-case basis. I'm finding something about Hickman's current approach fascinating and I'm loving it. It's not completely new and even the "high concept" could be argued to be old and stale but something in his particular 'recipe' is making me come back for more. When that changes, I'll drop off and read something else.

I personally love information design theory so I'm finding the Data Pages to be interesting uses of that and love exploring what the various authors chose to include on panel and in the data pages... even when I would have chosen a different approach and think that it will be fascinating to see where the artform is (with regard to things like Data Pages) in 5 or 10 years from now.

Sure, I can 'expect' characters to act a certain way but it doesn't bother me if it changes somewhat or even a lot between different authors' arcs. For example, I understand why people might consider Cyclops acting out of character currently and would mostly agree. For me, I'm more interested in how the creative teams are going to use his character to make their plot and thematic points.

I guess, at the end of the day, I don't approach these characters as living breathing people, but as elements of a narrative, ultimately owned by the Mouse.

So, are you still reading now, or have you dropped off completely? If you've picked up again, do you still see those qualities you love, if so, where and how?
    I jumped back in with HoX/PoX and haven't let up, I'm loving it. While I definitely see the qualities I love what has been really interesting to me is how Hickman and company have shook things up so much. I haven't enjoyed a run this much since Morrison was on the book. So yeah, I'm loving it.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

I'm very much the same, but experiences can differ depending on how they're handled. Is that the same for you, do you find? What impacts that, if anything?
    I guess I prefer when the characters are somewhat self-contained. Crossovers and team series can be fun, but for, X-Men, a recurring point of contention for me is that the series I like get canceled to make way for huge status quo changing events I don't care about. Case in point, the X-23 ongoing got canceled to make way for Hickman's relaunch, which I don't give a crap about (and honesty really don't like the premise of).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)