Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    It seems like a hopeful compromise between Charles' and Erik's ideologies, pursuing coexistence while making it clear that the treatment they recieved in the past will no longer be tolerated.
    I'll be honest, I'm not sure I see much of Charles influence in this new era? Do you think you could help me a bit?

I find it a bit cynical: I see it as mutants basically 'giving up'--they've lost the spirit to keep fighting for their right to live and exist wherever they want and, most importantly, on equal footing within there, while sort of...talking down to humans. Suddenly, everything 'human' is bad to everyone? Culture, institutions, ect. It's all an inferior thing in the mutants' eyes?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Something to consider with regard to your passion mentioned above would be, how would you respond if you got a dream job writing your favorite characters only to be told by editorial that you had to insert elements you found contrary or reprehensible to your understanding of the character? Those sort of choices and considerations are part and parcel with the industry. Being more detached helps 1) keep a paycheck and career; and 2) not drive yourself into a negative emotional state. Or, to paraphrase an old quote, "If you want to destroy a perfectly good hobby, make it your job."
    I've had to work with that approach all through my assignments and homework in high school; I think I'd actually like a chance to...see how those limits and mandates challenge the character. It challenged me, after all, seeing how I could work around them to still do what I wanted!

It's not about fascination as what, for me, is a mature personal approach to fiction. Nothing in fiction warrants me getting tied in knots about creative choices or losing sleep over what happened to my favorite characters or whatever.
    That's cool! So, can I ask; what about this feels mature and personal to you?

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I see; so it's a natural progression of apathy?

I think I understand that. My special interests are always fuelled by the content coming out: I have 'old' interests that I've lost no love for, but there's simply nothing 'new' about them that sparks the same old passion. I'll hold them fondly in my heart but...that's it? That's sort of how you feel, I think?
    That's about it. The current fav I have is the same. 1 particular thing annoys me that I rant about. But eventually i'll be on to something else. When or what, who knows.

Do you still find yourself frustrated, though, at the treatment of your favourite? Even if you are able to detach and 'move on' in a way? Or is it just...you sort of expect it...?
    The cycle has been repeating for years. So it's expected. Anything I like is unattainable or gets ruined. Some just have that rotten luck.

That's cool! So, can I ask; what about this feels mature and personal to you?
    "Personal" was used so that others wouldn't think I'm trying to imply that others are "immature" for having a different approach.

It is "Mature" for me in that when I was literally immature (i.e., a kid) I put far more importance and investment in my superheroes. And, to a large degree, that has always been their societal role: Being entertainment and 'rolemodels' for children.

For me, investing too much in comic book characters or narratives (or any fandom... Star Wars and Wonder Woman I'm looking at you) would be too much like reverting to childhood in an attempt to avoid adult life or avoid the struggle to be actively creative by putting more energy into the passive consumption of others' creative output.

Or, more simply, when I used to put all my energy into the comics I read, the RPGs I played, the movies I saw, I didn't do much creation of my own. Now that I don't engage in the former, the latter has increased exponentially - which I find a more mature and satisfying way to live. The immature version of me had dreams of being a creator. The more mature version of me is actively walking the road of that dream.

BANNED

"Personal" was used so that others wouldn't think I'm trying to imply that others are "immature" for having a different approach.

It is "Mature" for me in that when I was literally immature (i.e., a kid) I put far more importance and investment in my superheroes. And, to a large degree, that has always been their societal role: Being entertainment and 'rolemodels' for children.

For me, investing too much in comic book characters or narratives (or any fandom... Star Wars and Wonder Woman I'm looking at you) would be too much like reverting to childhood in an attempt to avoid adult life or avoid the struggle to be actively creative by putting more energy into the passive consumption of others' creative output.

Or, more simply, when I used to put all my energy into the comics I read, the RPGs I played, the movies I saw, I didn't do much creation of my own. Now that I don't engage in the former, the latter has increased exponentially - which I find a more mature and satisfying way to live. The immature version of me had dreams of being a creator. The more mature version of me is actively walking the road of that dream.
    Oh, I get it; so it's Adult!you trying to keep Kid!you...not so much at a distance but, reigned in, in a sense? I can see how that keeps any negativity under control but, I have to ask, do you think you still get the same kind of enjoyment out of these works like that?

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

I'll read the characters I care about, but if I hear a book is good, I'll check it out, regardless of who is in it. I'm probably more character-centered though. I could re-read Asmus's run on Gambit once a year, for example, but I doubt I'll re-read HoX/PoX anytime soon
    Make Good Art

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    I'll read the characters I care about, but if I hear a book is good, I'll check it out, regardless of who is in it. I'm probably more character-centered though. I could re-read Asmus's run on Gambit once a year, for example, but I doubt I'll re-read HoX/PoX anytime soon
    Oh I know what you mean about Gambit! I devoured all of his trades and collected works, with the exception of some of the Uncanny X-Men classic (Still searching!) and just...! (In fact, a good way to ensure I pick up anything new in X-Men is to have him on the cover.)

Here's a question: What did you get out of Asmus' Gambit run that you didn't get out of HOX/POX (With the exception of the Cajun himself, lol!)

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Oh I know what you mean about Gambit! I devoured all of his trades and collected works, with the exception of some of the Uncanny X-Men classic (Still searching!) and just...! (In fact, a good way to ensure I pick up anything new in X-Men is to have him on the cover.)

Here's a question: What did you get out of Asmus' Gambit run that you didn't get out of HOX/POX (With the exception of the Cajun himself, lol!)
    Honestly, mostly just character development. HoX/PoX was great, but I'm always more interested in more in-depth character studies and such. I feel like I'm comparing apples and oranges, but in this case I like apples more
    Make Good Art

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Honestly, mostly just character development. HoX/PoX was great, but I'm always more interested in more in-depth character studies and such. I feel like I'm comparing apples and oranges, but in this case I like apples more
    Do you feel that's missing at all from the line then, recently?

Also, what did you like about HOX/POX?

That's really great though; you obviously hold fond memories for the franchise?

So, can I ask; do you still love the old stuff despite this new direction? This new direction doesn't contradict them at all, in your opinion? See, I've seen from many posters that they're alright with basically burning all the old to the ground, but...?
    Guess I'm not sure what you're asking. I recently spent a year plus going back and re-reading the entire X-catalog and while I will say that anything pre Giant Sized could basically be put in a jar and thrown out to sea, I still found Claremont's stuff very entertaining for me to re-read. Sure some language and plot devices were "out-dated" but the nostalgia was a higher draw. I will say that the 90's books actually drew more of a negative reaction from me as I felt it was less emotionally driven and more action figurey. It's a popular era for most readers because of the tie with the cartoon series, but I was in my "growing up" phase at the time and didn't read those books as they were released. Because of that I was able to see the books for what they were and wasn't as big a fan. It isn't until Morrison/Wheadon that I feel like we return to X-Men as I personally enjoyed the books.

I feel like this is an important question:

What kind of X-Men reader are you? Are you the type who needs it to be immersed and connected to the rest of the Marvel universe? Is continuity a deal-breaker for you? Perhaps you're more of an emotional reader, here for the experience? Or are you strictly character based?

What's your type and why do you think that's so?

Does anything impact how you read? Your own experiences or situations, perhaps? Or, say, other fans' opinions or reactions? If so, what can we do to mitigate this? (Or, enhance should you feel the need?)

Where are you coming from in all this? And how can we all see each other's points' of views?
    1. Pan/Bi
    2. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
    3. No, it's a basic requirement if you're working off established continuity
    4. That's what I'm here for
    5. That's fun, too
    6. I like people who tolerate my fucky wucky brain and also enjoy long walks on the beach supplemented by discussions about 20th century global politics
    7. Sometimes I have to take an annoying pause when reading to do a continuity check or think about continuity implications
    8. Sometimes the lightbulb will go off and I'll be like "OWO ZAT'S MII!"
    9. Only regarding certain subjects
    10. Legal, safe LSD
    11. I like comic books and my fellow humans <3
    12. "Remember, it's just comics!" I say to myself as my blood boils at a temperature hotter than an exploding star
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I try each new series, as long as it had at least once of my favourites. Team books always get a chance.

I cut the knot after 6 issues. If I do not like it by them, I'll take then off my pull list.

After the cast, my second is story and writing. That must be good.

Third is the art, if the story is good and writing as well, then only bad art can throw me off.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Oh, I get it; so it's Adult!you trying to keep Kid!you...not so much at a distance but, reigned in, in a sense? I can see how that keeps any negativity under control but, I have to ask, do you think you still get the same kind of enjoyment out of these works like that?
    No, but I don't necessarily WANT the same kind of enjoyment I did as a kid. By way of analogy, as a kid Twinkies were one of my favorite deserts. Now my tastes have changed and Twinkies taste like chemicals to me and deserts with more layered flavors, and less overt sweetness are what does it for me. The kid me would hate what I eat now. He liked bold, blunt, sweetness. That being said, I do love a good meal and fully enjoy my food as much, or sometimes more, than I did back then. Same with the way I consume my fiction.

But, to return to one of my original points, the only thing that reaches that same level of pure joy for me is in being part of the creative process... so that's where I seek out that level of bliss.

I'll be honest and say that I used to be quite toxic with my "stanning" (not only in comics, also music stuff). I used to have an account elsewhere and discuss stuff a tad bit too seriously and I did the same on my Facebook page. I mean, I started reading when I was in middle school and got into the Internet stuff about the same time or a little later so that was maybe a bad time to be in the world of comic book discussions (hormones and teen angst do not mix well with forum boards, he found out).

Now I like to think that I've improved growing up hahaha and I don't read the comics for the characters I like but more for the stories themselves. And in this new Krakoan Era I stan everyone hahaha.

I'm a bit of an emotional reader too, I guess? But I didn't use to, becoming a softie has also been a part of the growing up thing I guess.

EDIT: I still get a lot of engagement though, that has not changed growing up. Like right now I'm all caught up in the Krakoan stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I'll be honest and say that I used to be quite toxic with my "stanning" (not only in comics, also music stuff). I used to have an account elsewhere and discuss stuff a tad bit too seriously and I did the same on my Facebook page. I mean, I started reading when I was in middle school and got into the Internet stuff about the same time or a little later so that was maybe a bad time to be in the world of comic book discussions (hormones and teen angst do not mix well with forum boards, he found out).

Now I like to think that I've improved growing up hahaha and I don't read the comics for the characters I like but more for the stories themselves. And in this new Krakoan Era I stan everyone hahaha.

I'm a bit of an emotional reader too, I guess? But I didn't use to, becoming a softie has also been a part of the growing up thing I guess.
    Well, when I say emotional reader, I mean it more in the sense of emotional investment? How hard do things hit you, or how hard to you relate to everything within it, ect?

Curious: what about the Krakoan era lets you do that as opposed to previous one's? Or is that just something that's happened as time has gone on?