Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post

This is the most humanely accurate description of the type of XFan I am.
    You're just here for the 'gram?

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Well, when I say emotional reader, I mean it more in the sense of emotional investment? How hard do things hit you, or how hard to you relate to everything within it, ect?

Curious: what about the Krakoan era lets you do that as opposed to previous one's? Or is that just something that's happened as time has gone on?
    Oh I always get engaged to an era on different levels, but the unity of mutantkind (everyone is getting a little bit of spotlight), the fact that it looks like they're finally winning after ages of decimations and such make me very happy. Plus all the subtleties and speculation going on are very fun.

As for emotions, yeah some stuff kind of hit me hard. I got really really sad when Kitty was shot in the bullet hahaha and stuff like Second Coming made me feel like my life was at stakes while it was happening.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Oh I always get engaged to an era on different levels, but the unity of mutantkind (everyone is getting a little bit of spotlight), the fact that it looks like they're finally winning after ages of decimations and such make me very happy. Plus all the subtleties and speculation going on are very fun.
    What did you think of the execution of attaining such unity? Do you think we've lost a bit of nuance in suddenly having everyone on the same side, or in the loss of Moira as a human ally?

What did you think of the execution of attaining such unity? Do you think we've lost a bit of nuance in suddenly having everyone on the same side, or in the loss of Moira as a human ally?
    (Sorry I edited a bit the previous post and didn't see you had already answered).

I think that it's just the beginning honestly. Things are going to go bad for sure with all these villains and plotting, but that's also part of the ride and I'm very curious about how it's going to get there.

I like Moira X. Never really cared much about her when she was the human ally hahaha she was ok

BANNED

(Sorry I edited a bit the previous post and didn't see you had already answered).

I think that it's just the beginning honestly. Things are going to go bad for sure with all these villains and plotting, but that's also part of the ride and I'm very curious about how it's going to get there.

I like Moira X. Never really cared much about her when she was the human ally hahaha she was ok
    Really? I thought she was a much stronger character without being a mutant, to be honest. She seemed so much more courageous because, as it's never really 'popular' to stand up in support of such a polarising issue, seeing her believe in it despite being such an outsider...to throw herself all in when, really, she didn't have to? That's an icon to aspire to...

And then, god...when Rahne was screaming for her not to die? Seeing the anguish, feeling it from both of them as Moira was slipping away, and Rahne was pleading with her "mummy" not to go...
    Last edited by Domino_Dare-Doll; 01-10-2020 at 03:35 PM.

As for emotions, yeah some stuff kind of hit me hard. I got really really sad when Kitty was shot in the bullet hahaha and stuff like Second Coming made me feel like my life was at stakes while it was happening.
    Co-signed! Major anxiety moments during Second Coming.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Really? I thought she was a much stronger character without being a mutant, to be honest. She seemed so much more courageous because, as it's never really 'popular' to stand up in support of such a polarising issue, seeing her believe in it despite being such an outsider...to throw herself all in when, really, she didn't have to? That's an icon to aspire to...

And then, god...when Rahne was screaming for her not to die? Seeing the anguish, feeling it from both of them as Moira was slipping away, and Rahne was pleading with her "mummy" not to go...
    Well you're about that, being an outsider that still chose to fight for mutants is a very strong character trait. We could argue that that Moira is not really the same as current Moira, since the retcon allows Hickman to write her essentially as a brand new character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Co-signed! Major anxiety moments during Second Coming.
    Yeah it was really all going to hell during that event.

When Cable died in front of Scott and Hope

BANNED

Well you're about that, being an outsider that still chose to fight for mutants is a very strong character trait. We could argue that that Moira is not really the same as current Moira, since the retcon allows Hickman to write her essentially as a brand new character.
    But that doesn't discount the entire history of X-comics as a whole if that's the case? Seeing as the whole universe resets with her, he's basically rebooted that side of the universe? Nobody's themselves or the same?

I mostly read for my favorites and when it comes to them, I'm highly invested in continuity and characterization. The plot itself becomes secondary relative to how they behave and react to the environment in which they are put. I simultaneously see their overall big picture story and recall every detail that has happened along the way. I long for continuing forward development, new experiences, and seeing them grow and evolve through hardships and triumphs. Rehashing, setbacks, and OOC behavior that serves the plot first over characterization feels frustrating.

On the other hand, for the overall Marvel Universe, general X-Men, and characters I'm not as emotionally invested in, I can detachedly appreciate and enjoy a plot for the plot's sake and as an art form.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I am here for the variety of characters the X-Men offer and the cool visuals. I am open to most stories and only dislike reading about certain characters but I won't avoid a book because of them. The only thing that will keep me away from a book regardless of cast or story is the art. There are certain artists that I absolutely do not enjoy and I just detach emotionally. I'm rather empathetic. I get sucked in and feel what the characters may be feeling while reading a book as long as the art doesn't detract from my experience. Ten years ago I had been dealing with the loss of my father and a lot of the comics I happened to be reading seemed to reflect most of what I was going through. Especially the X-books. They were fairly dark with moments of hope and loaded with tons of familial support and personal character growth for many of my favorite X-men. I learned about characters like Frenzy, during the Age of X, that just became instant faves of mine. I had a connection to her, and other characters, because of their pain. It was very cathartic. I'm not getting any of that from the current era of books but I'm still enjoying the stories. Continuity is nice but it isn't always necessary. Retcons are a double-bladed sword. I love 50% of them and accept the rest. I'm sure we've all been burned when a character has grown past something or surpassed a personal obstacle to only get dragged back down by some future writer. Rogue, I'm mostly talking about you girl. Angel too! and Emma! and... well it happens a lot. Lol. I accept it and move on and try to enjoy what is presented at the moment. The day I no longer can do that will be the day I stop buying comics. The X-Men were my first comic bought, my longest collected franchise uninterrupted, and they will be my last comic bought, 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    I mostly read for my favorites and when it comes to them, I'm highly invested in continuity and characterization. The plot itself becomes secondary relative to how they behave and react to the environment in which they are put. I simultaneously see their overall big picture story and recall every detail that has happened along the way. I long for continuing forward development, new experiences, and seeing them grow and evolve through hardships and triumphs. Rehashing, setbacks, and OOC behavior that serves the plot first over characterization feels frustrating.

On the other hand, for the overall Marvel Universe, general X-Men, and characters I'm not as emotionally invested in, I can detachedly appreciate and enjoy a plot for the plot's sake and as an art form.
    Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    I am here for the variety of characters the X-Men offer and the cool visuals. I am open to most stories and only dislike reading about certain characters but I won't avoid a book because of them. The only thing that will keep me away from a book regardless of cast or story is the art. There are certain artists that I absolutely do not enjoy and I just detach emotionally. I'm rather empathetic. I get sucked in and feel what the characters may be feeling while reading a book as long as the art doesn't detract from my experience. Ten years ago I had been dealing with the loss of my father and a lot of the comics I happened to be reading seemed to reflect most of what I was going through. Especially the X-books. They were fairly dark with moments of hope and loaded with tons of familial support and personal character growth for many of my favorite X-men. I learned about characters like Frenzy, during the Age of X, that just became instant faves of mine. I had a connection to her, and other characters, because of their pain. It was very cathartic. I'm not getting any of that from the current era of books but I'm still enjoying the stories. Continuity is nice but it isn't always necessary. Retcons are a double-bladed sword. I love 50% of them and accept the rest. I'm sure we've all been burned when a character has grown past something or surpassed a personal obstacle to only get dragged back down by some future writer. Rogue, I'm mostly talking about you girl. Angel too! and Emma! and... well it happens a lot. Lol. I accept it and move on and try to enjoy what is presented at the moment. The day I no longer can do that will be the day I stop buying comics. The X-Men were my first comic bought, my longest collected franchise uninterrupted, and they will be my last comic bought, 100%.
    Thanks for sharing, to both of you. It's refreshing to read about how people approach their reading of comics in different ways.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    And there's an amazing example of, not only your personal courage and triumph, but of how the media we consume actively aids us in our day to day lives!

So, how are you coping with not necessarily feeling those themes you mentioned in this current era? Of familial support and such, I mean? And, if well, is there any advice you can offer to some of us not doing too well without them?

Mighty Member

I read across companies.. While I mostly read marvel, I use to read a bit of wildstorm and image. While I mostly read X men related books, I tend to occasionally read other books that interest me like I was huge New Warriors fan and West Coast Avengers.. I will be reading Strange Academy. I tend to keep up with the major things that are going on in the marvel verse via X men and I read summaries from other books. My new stragety after coming back to collecting again is to read and collect x men books but also find a lot of the books with writers and characters of color to read. I also read a bit of DC like Naomi and Farscape currently.

I care about the characters a great deal (I'll probably read any story Monet is a part of, for example) but I think the story is paramount. I think sometimes the way I envision my favorite characters has to be sacrificed for the better story and sometimes the best stories make me redefine who my favorite characters are.

I think that being too attached to 'head canon' or single versions of characters is very stifling and limiting not only as a reader but for the creative teams trying to appease the fanbase.

I think continuity is a gift that should be used sparingly and smart, creative liberties should be taken with the 60-year-old lore for the sake of modernity and cohesion.

Once again, I'm just as passionate a character fan as the next guy, but the world-building and atmosphere is so important to me which is why House of X really appeals to me in such a strong way. Character relationships (mostly non-romantic) are essential in creating a story I can get invested in. Fashion, creative and tasteful designs, and thoughtful hairstyles are minor details that can make or break an artist's interpretation for me.