Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    The New Warriors have always been pretty damn diverse, I don't know how anyone can be a fan of the original run and still complain about the new characters being too representative of "current year" or whatever
    In my case I don’t mind new characters, it’s just none of the subsequent series had any real chemistry, imo. Plus, again imo, they were bland, and went in directions I didn’t enjoy.

So, i’m Looking forward to seeing how this series goes. I want a New Warriors book to really enjoy!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Were we supposed to question whether Water Snake actually was Rita with memory loss right? Its been a little while for me but I remember a few of the characters mistaking her for Rita. The mystery of that was part of the reason I picked up that team book and stuck with it.

I've just been rereading the original NW volume and reading NT's series for the first time so initially reading this news was so excited but I admit and I'm a little wary for the same reasons but Kibblesmith is a good writer and despite his lack of familiarity initially he does seem to do his research so I'm optimistic. Not overly excited about the new characters (nothing against them, I just don't know them but the designs look a little like they're trying too hard to be futuristic if that makes sense).
    According to Chris Yost, the creator of Water Snake in that last volume of New Warriors, she was supposed to be a clone of Namorita who would've been used by the Atlanteans as a kind of vessel for Namorita's resurrection. I could have seen a lot of interesting conflict and tension amongst that set of New Warriors from that plot, given that the ones from the original team who knew and loved Namorita would definitely want her back, but not at the expense of someone else's life. Kaine/Scarlet Spider, who was a member of that version of the New Warriors, would've likely been firmly against it from jump, given his own experience as a clone with a creator that saw and treated him only as a tool or weapon for his misaimed revenge. Could've been great to see if that title lasted longer than a year, and it's a shame that this one is only apparently going to be a five-issue miniseries . . . though hopefully it'll be extended if it does well enough and the fans are willing to support it, like The Amazing Mary Jane and MC2 Spider-Girl were.

https://www.cbr.com/namorita-new-war...n-water-snake/
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 01-11-2020 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Added link for info
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It looks like ponytail girl's powers involve her suit since she's clutching those circles on the cover.

The "Wonder Twins" look like they have...skidding powers? The male looks like he has a forcefield.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    If this is a mini, firestar might feature in both new warriors and continue to be (wall paper) in the X-Men?

I was wondering about that myself. From what I recall, Firestar hasn't been very active as an X-man, however, given that the mutants are now on Krakoa, will Firestar be bouncing between the two, and will that play any part in the mini-series?

Also (it's been a while since I've read the original run of NW) are any of the other characters mutants?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    I was wondering about that myself. From what I recall, Firestar hasn't been very active as an X-man, however, given that the mutants are now on Krakoa, will Firestar be bouncing between the two, and will that play any part in the mini-series?

Also (it's been a while since I've read the original run of NW) are any of the other characters mutants?
    Justice, though he's never been an X-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It looks like ponytail girl's powers involve her suit since she's clutching those circles on the cover.

The "Wonder Twins" look like they have...skidding powers? The male looks like he has a forcefield.
    The fact that she's glowing pink and blue similar to the other two makes me wonder if her suit lets her somehow copy their powers. Everyone else is only glowing one color, ponytail has 3

Green dude's symbol looks like he has wi-fi

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Literally hundreds of teen characters sitting on the shelf at Marvel and they just keep creating new ones. One of the big draws of the original New Warriors were they were almost all little used characters you had seen in other books brought together in on book. It drew in a wide group of fans of the characters themselves which helped make the book a hit. This is just the same old "here are a bunch of new characters we hope you like at least one of them but we know most are going on the scrap pile after this series is over" both Marvel and DC have fallen into the last 20 years.

Going w. the idea of the core team as mentors, i’m not sure why the creative team’s gone w. all new characters when there are a LOT of unused, already established teens out there, even discounting the whole “Hickman’s hoarding all the mutants” scenario going on right now.

Not saying it won’t work, but just going on looks, these characters look really generic. Of course, if they have kick ass personalities (which I hope they do) then no problem. But if the team wanted blank slates, they still could have used existing characters; it’s not like personalities haven’t been revamped before to fit a narrative.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    The New Warriors have always been pretty damn diverse, I don't know how anyone can be a fan of the original run and still complain about the new characters being too representative of "current year" or whatever
    Probably because no ones complained about diversity?
    Sooo.... maybe try not to drag people into the strawmen fields of imaginings.
    No one likes it when people do that

Also I'm amused that 1 black guy on a team of white teens is diverse to you, which is how it was for about 25 issues...
    but that doesn't have anything to do with the trends and tactics of marvel today. Like the pile of teen heroes from above or the overly generic oddly colored costumes which is in vogue currently aka runaways secret team all orange and fuchsia and fugly.
    I dont care what they're supposed to be. I find them ugly and more importantly they're basically IMHO the rough equivalent of an ugly congressional rider.
    Here this new law everyone's in favor of! *let's add a tax break for the rich and reduction of education funds*
    That's more the current era were talking about.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I could've sworn there was a point where Sam found out he was dead, and that's when he gave up the shield, but maybe I'm mis-remembering.
    While he didn't die in Sam Wilson: Captain America, he did die in Venomized when he and D-Man were transformed into Poisons and Jean destroyed the the hive mind destroying all Poisons except for Jimmy Hudson and Cletus Kasady. Did they just ignore that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    While he didn't die in Sam Wilson: Captain America, he did die in Venomized when he and D-Man were transformed into Poisons and Jean destroyed the the hive mind destroying all Poisons except for Jimmy Hudson and Cletus Kasady. Did they just ignore that?
    They ignored every Venomized death because Venomized is really bad.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Literally hundreds of teen characters sitting on the shelf at Marvel and they just keep creating new ones.
    When The next big crossover rolls around they will have plenty of fodder.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    It seems that the newly infected weren't killed, because it takes time for the Poisons to take over you completely. They really should've made the fate of those characters more clear. Tell us, don't just leave it ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Going w. the idea of the core team as mentors, i’m not sure why the creative team’s gone w. all new characters when there are a LOT of unused, already established teens out there, even discounting the whole “Hickman’s hoarding all the mutants” scenario going on right now.

Not saying it won’t work, but just going on looks, these characters look really generic. Of course, if they have kick ass personalities (which I hope they do) then no problem. But if the team wanted blank slates, they still could have used existing characters; it’s not like personalities haven’t been revamped before to fit a narrative.
    Probably because Champions is relaunching at the same time, and they didn't want to restrict Eve Ewing's choice of characters for it (as it turns out, she seems to keeping Zub's entire roster and adding new members on top - one of the covers has Squirrel Girl and Energiser on it). Champions takes priority as it's an ongoing.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-11-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Weren't Rage and D-Man the only potential deaths?

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    If this is a mini, firestar might feature in both new warriors and continue to be (wall paper) in the X-Men?

Vance was always my favourite character, so I'll be really interested to read his opinion on this.
    Well, Vance is apparently meant to have a big role in Outlawed, so you might get lucky - he may end up appearing in Champions as well, though not as a team member.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman