Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

I’d rather have a good character than one created to appease some sort of criteria.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    That just makes it worse. They didn’t think the black characters would be accepted. So they slipped them in with established characters.
    WHere did you get that from? At the time New Warriors was created, there weren't many teen characters of color, so they created new ones to increase a lacking population. But nothing was ever said the characters were "slipped in" because they didn't think they wouldn't be accepted. In fact, Night Thrasher was even given his own series one of the only two characters from Warriors to get one, which sadly didn't last long due to lack of buyer support.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I’d rather have a good character than one created to appease some sort of criteria.
    That's generally the perspective of someone who has a lot of options. I have no doubt that Rage and Thrash were both created with criteria in mind. But I'm thankful for Dwayne's existence.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    WHere did you get that from? At the time New Warriors was created, there weren't many teen characters of color, so they created new ones to increase a lacking population. But nothing was ever said the characters were "slipped in" because they didn't think they wouldn't be accepted. In fact, Night Thrasher was even given his own series one of the only two characters from Warriors to get one, which sadly didn't last long due to lack of buyer support.
    One of three. Both Nova and Justice also got their own books, though Vance's was just a mini.

And, yeah, did Marvel have ANY non-white teen heroes before the New Warriors came along? The only one who comes to mind is Jubilee, who'd only just debuted over in X-Men at the time. No African-Americans at all. Meanwhile DC had Herald, Bumblebee, and Cyborg in 1970s and 80s Teen Titans comics. Face it, Marvel was playing catch-up back then (and heck, New Teen Titans is probably one of the reasons New Warriors existed in the first place).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-12-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I have all of that series. But i don't see how it contradicts anything I've said. They took a chance on the character after he received positive reaction. Would he have received a solo book within the new Warriors?

I hope that every issue isn’t devoted to one of the new characters. I shouldn’t be so negative. I’m happy that Dwayne is back. I want the new characters to be interesting long term heroes. I just only have their appearance to go by. And they are slightly derivative of designs I would expect from DC.
    What about their designs looks derivative of DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    These two things do not have to be mutually exclusive, however.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

That's generally the perspective of someone who has a lot of options. I have no doubt that Rage and Thrash were both created with criteria in mind. But I'm thankful for Dwayne's existence.
    Perhaps not your point, but Rage was created for The Avengers not New Warriors.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Diverse in that they were forced together by a black guy. It was still a collection of white kids. And, as others have regularly informed me, they weren’t close to Dwayne. When the team fractured, Rage went with Thrash.
    No I think that's a little too strong. They were all friends, it's just that the bond between some of the others were stronger. Maybe it's because Dwayne was in a position of leadership?

Either or, I'm a huge Dwayne fan and I'm so glad he's back.

So Rage went to adult jail? He was 13 years old when he joined the new warriors. Has 8 years (marvel time) really passed? Maybe it has? That make the warriors in the mid to late 20s now. Except for Nita who is probably in her 50s!

Not sure what you mean by “a lot of options”?
    As a black guy growing up I just liked superheroes, TBH i never cared what color they were.
    Hell, one of my least favorite characters of the last few years is Black Panther. It has nothing to do w. him being black (though ppl on other sites immediately call me Uncle Ruckus when it comes up), it has to do w. him being written as a douche for over a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Perhaps not your point, but Rage was created for The Avengers not New Warriors.
    Point being that his introduction was moderately political. He wasn't "accidentally" black.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What about their designs looks derivative of DC?
    My immediate reaction was that one looked like a green lantern. And the twins look like teen titan rejects. It's the bright almost neon coloring and busy design.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    One of three. Both Nova and Justice also got their own books, though Vance's was just a mini.

And, yeah, did Marvel have ANY non-white teen heroes before the New Warriors came along? The only one who comes to mind is Jubilee, who'd only just debuted over in X-Men at the time. No African-Americans at all. Meanwhile DC had Herald, Bumblebee, and Cyborg in 1970s and 80s Teen Titans comics. Face it, Marvel was playing catch-up back then (and heck, New Teen Titans is probably one of the reasons New Warriors existed in the first place).
    Wouldn't Roberto DaCosta from the New Mutants qualify? If we're talking about any non-white character, Dani and Xi'an count as well.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Wouldn't Roberto DaCosta from the New Mutants qualify? If we're talking about any non-white character, Dani and Xi'an count as well.
    That's a good point, actually. Funny enough, the X-Men and their offshoots were bringing in nonwhite heroes and heroines as important and relevant characters en masse before the rest of the Marvel Universe started catching up to (and in some cases, surpassing) them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.