Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Marvel did have another team of diverse teens that appeared before the New Mutants even. The Kid Commandos. Bucky, Toro, the Human Top, and Golden Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Marvel did have another team of diverse teens that appeared before the New Mutants even. The Kid Commandos. Bucky, Toro, the Human Top, and Golden Girl.

^^^nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    My immediate reaction was that one looked like a green lantern. And the twins look like teen titan rejects. It's the bright almost neon coloring and busy design.
    ^^^On that we agree. Like I said, Roundhouse would fit in that line up, just on costume design.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I stand corrected. Thanks. (Not being sarcastic.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    According to Chris Yost, the creator of Water Snake in that last volume of New Warriors, she was supposed to be a clone of Namorita who would've been used by the Atlanteans as a kind of vessel for Namorita's resurrection. I could have seen a lot of interesting conflict and tension amongst that set of New Warriors from that plot, given that the ones from the original team who knew and loved Namorita would definitely want her back, but not at the expense of someone else's life. Kaine/Scarlet Spider, who was a member of that version of the New Warriors, would've likely been firmly against it from jump, given his own experience as a clone with a creator that saw and treated him only as a tool or weapon for his misaimed revenge. Could've been great to see if that title lasted longer than a year, and it's a shame that this one is only apparently going to be a five-issue miniseries . . . though hopefully it'll be extended if it does well enough and the fans are willing to support it, like The Amazing Mary Jane and MC2 Spider-Girl were.

https://www.cbr.com/namorita-new-war...n-water-snake/
    Thanks for the answer! And man, I really would've liked to see that story (especially for Kaine's reaction as you point out). That book ended too soon.

Agreed, if this book is good I hope they extend it but I do prefer this approach of giving minis rather than launching as ongoings and cancelling after 4 issues. At least here you know whatever story was planned is able to be completed.

Didn't know about the Kid Commandos at all (I know Bucky and Toro, but not with this team)... interesting to see that Human Top is black, and I assume this Golden Girl is connected to Radiance from the New Invaders (2014), who was also Japanese.

... and I definitely should've thought about Sunspot and Karma.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    So Rage went to adult jail? He was 13 years old when he joined the new warriors. Has 8 years (marvel time) really passed? Maybe it has? That make the warriors in the mid to late 20s now. Except for Nita who is probably in her 50s!
    Nita was 30 something in New Warriors volume 1, as confirmed by 1991's Namor #19. She's no older than 40 now.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Namor...ss_(Earth-616)
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm extremely excited for Silhouette because she's a Cambodian, which represents my culture. And I just love the idea of more Southeast Asian cultures being utilized, because they are usually forgotten.

I haven't really been following her recent developments-- may anyone briefly tell me what's been going on with her in the Iron Heart series?
    I like boys, comics, Disney, and traveling. // follow me @ itsnickmen
    “Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Didn't know about the Kid Commandos at all (I know Bucky and Toro, but not with this team)... interesting to see that Human Top is black, and I assume this Golden Girl is connected to Radiance from the New Invaders (2014), who was also Japanese.

Radiance and Goldfire are related to Golden Girl and Topspin is related to the Human Top.

I'm so excited for this book. I hope it actually sticks around for awhile this time. I'd love to see another 70+ run.

Ultimate Member

That's not the writer's fault. The only characters they created for the book at launch, were the black ones - Night Thrasher and Silhouette. Everyone else came from other books. They did later add Turbo, who's Asian.
    It is interesting amusing how the newer characters have to be the diverse ones, because so many of the pre-existing characters they had to choose from (Nova, Justice, Firestar, Speedball, Namorita) were white.

I'm reminded of the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans relaunch, back in the eighties. Quick, let's make a new hip diverse Teen Titans, we've got Robin, Kid Flash, Speedy, Aqualad and Wonder Girl to choose from. Crap. Quick, invent a couple more women nobody has ever heard of, and a black dude!

Still, awesome that Silhouette is back. Kinda wish some of the folks from the last New Warriors run were back, too. Sun Girl, Water Snake and Haechi, in particular. But I'll take the old crew any day, particularly if we get some follow up / development on what Thrash has been up to, and on Silhouette (and perhaps even Midnight's Fire, if he's still alive and kicking...).

so is his ancestor (who has the same powers) unsurprisingly. he was a member of the V-Battalion, last time he was seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It is interesting amusing how the newer characters have to be the diverse ones, because so many of the pre-existing characters they had to choose from (Nova, Justice, Firestar, Speedball, Namorita) were white.

I'm reminded of the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans relaunch, back in the eighties. Quick, let's make a new hip diverse Teen Titans, we've got Robin, Kid Flash, Speedy, Aqualad and Wonder Girl to choose from. Crap. Quick, invent a couple more women nobody has ever heard of, and a black dude!

Still, awesome that Silhouette is back. Kinda wish some of the folks from the last New Warriors run were back, too. Sun Girl, Water Snake and Haechi, in particular. But I'll take the old crew any day, particularly if we get some follow up / development on what Thrash has been up to, and on Silhouette (and perhaps even Midnight's Fire, if he's still alive and kicking...).
    out of that crop, i honestly only liked Sun Girl. Water Snake just reminded me that they screwed over Namorita (plus, the codename sounds like something you'd give a villain). wasn't a fan of Haechi's design. him being an inhuman kind of sealed the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    I'm extremely excited for Silhouette because she's a Cambodian, which represents my culture. And I just love the idea of more Southeast Asian cultures being utilized, because they are usually forgotten.

I haven't really been following her recent developments-- may anyone briefly tell me what's been going on with her in the Iron Heart series?
    good news. her brother and pretty much the entire Folding Circle are also cambodian, irrc. they are New Warriors recurring adversaries. i expect them to turn up at some point (if there's time with just 5 issues).

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Midnight's Fire was the main antagonist in Ironheart!

Seriously guys, if you haven't read Ironheart yet, get on it. It has connections to New Warriors history, Midnight's Fire is there throughout, Silhouette's new costume debuted there, and it's by the same artist as the new NW series.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-13-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    out of that crop, i honestly only liked Sun Girl. Water Snake just reminded me that they screwed over Namorita (plus, the codename sounds like something you'd give a villain). wasn't a fan of Haechi's design. him being an inhuman kind of sealed the deal.
    Sun Girl was definitely my favorite, but now with Moon Girl and Riri, I kind of cynically feel like all of the 'black girl genius' niche has been gobbled up, and she's going to be ignored in favor of the new blood.

I wanted to like Hummingbird, but she was just a little too quirky and unexplained, for me. I am empowered by the Aztec god of war, with, empathy and levitation and once I shot flame? Goodness, that's extra. Her nemesis will be empowered by the Aztec god of death and have powers of (rolls dice) plant control and (rolls dice) machine telepathy and (rolls dice) the ability to create food? So random. :/

Still not as bad as the Xorn twins, with their mad-lib powers of 'I have a [celestial phenomena] for a [body part/organ] which gives me [totally unrelated superpower].' "I have a black hole for a brain which allows me to control the electromagnetic spectrum!" "Oh yeah, I have a nebula for a pancreas which allows me to control earth and stone!" "And *I* have an asteroid for a right eye that allows me to vomit up giant energy snakes!"
    Last edited by Sutekh; 01-13-2020 at 09:48 AM.