Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Uncanny X-Men #258 Feb 1990
    Acts of Vengeance: Part 3 of 3. "Broken Chains"
    Wolverine has been captured by The Hand, a mysterious ninja organization that works for The Mandarin.
    He is in a state of stasis as the mind controlled Pylocke monitors his psychic condition, which is not well.
    He is at a point of psychic despair, as he is in a similar state to the state he was in during Weapon X.
    His bestial form is about to come out due to the circumstances.
    Jubilee is also captured by Matsuo Tsurayaba.

A brief escape attempt by Jubilee gets foiled by The Mandarin who also attacks Matsuo and the Hand,
    as they attempted to command him around in his own house. Matsuo apologizes and is rebunked.

On Muir Isle, Banshee, Forge, Sharon Friedlander and Moira MacTaggert are training.
    All of them seem to be tired and wary of their situation.
    Lorna Dane is trapped in Proteus' old room,
    and cannot escape as Legion has trapped her there.
    Back in Hong Kong, Jubilee is presented to Mandarin.

Psylocke is still fiddling with Wolverine's mind, showing him
    phantom versions of Marvel Girl, Mariko Yashida and Yukio.
    Wolverine defeats her in pyschic combat, and breaks free from the cage.

After defeating him once more, Psylocke presents him to Mandarin, but Jubilee manages to get free.

Psylocke reveals that it was all a ruse, and her and Jubilee attack Mandarin.
    With the help of Wolverine, all three of them defeat Mandarin
    and get on a ship, sailing to an unknown location.
    Psylocke reveals her story as well.

Story by Chris Claremont. Art by Jim Lee and Scott Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    My first issue of X-Men!

Set in place my interest in the Betsy Braddock situation, Jubilee's pyrokinetic potential, and boredom with Wolverine!

It would appear that she did, indeed want to do it again (courtesy of Tycon):

Excalibur #9 is an issue I've been waiting for for a long time. Seriously Marvel, Jubilee needs to do this sort of thing more often. (But maybe without the "killing a dozen people" thing, which she may or may not have done here.)

Fantastic power moment for Jubes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    It would appear that she did, indeed want to do it again (courtesy of Tycon):

Excalibur #9 is an issue I've been waiting for for a long time. Seriously Marvel, Jubilee needs to do this sort of thing more often. (But maybe without the "killing a dozen people" thing, which she may or may not have done here.)

Fantastic power moment for Jubes!
    They hurt her baby.

Fry away, Miss Lee! Saturnyne gone LEARN, today!

BANNED

I really appreciated this moment and loved the sword imagery in the pyrokinetics. I hope she fries some more fools.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

great to see Jubilee do something in Excalibur besides stand around.

Hmmm... Jubilee should learn some Archery to compliment her Pyrokinesis. Especially in theme-park Otherworld, where she’d otherwise just another leather-wearing Hunter/Rogue class.

You know what else? Jubilee should be another LOS short-range teleporter like Nightcrawler. Yes, her fireworks are powerful and can be dangerous, but our girl needs some combat skills and some melee pizazz.

Kitty could be a kid hero because her intangibility made her impossible for villains to harm. Armor worked in the 00s because she was similarly impossible to harm. I somewhat think Jubilee was made a vampire so she could engage physically with little threat of harm. BUUUUUUUUT... if she learned to Nightcrawler herself in and around targets with high-speed fireworks, she could disorient, burn, and strike her targets high, low and everywhere in-between, and look badass on a two page spread.

There's a million ways for Jubilee to be more than a firecracker. Making her a Nightcrawler 2.0 is a very X-Men brand evolution while also giving her a signature PAF to match Kurt's BAMF.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    You know what else? Jubilee should be another LOS short-range teleporter like Nightcrawler. Yes, her fireworks are powerful and can be dangerous, but our girl needs some combat skills and some melee pizazz.

Kitty could be a kid hero because her intangibility made her impossible for villains to harm. Armor worked in the 00s because she was similarly impossible to harm. I somewhat think Jubilee was made a vampire so she could engage physically with little threat of harm. BUUUUUUUUT... if she learned to Nightcrawler herself in and around targets with high-speed fireworks, she could disorient, burn, and strike her targets high, low and everywhere in-between, and look badass on a two page spread.

There's a million ways for Jubilee to be more than a firecracker. Making her a Nightcrawler 2.0 is a very X-Men brand evolution while also giving her a signature PAF to match Kurt's BAMF.
    Nah... I disagree.

I mean. We all know she's got sheer firepower, though it has rarely been seen. As far as combat skills go, writers in general just only saw her as "Junior X-Man" rather than fully capable of standing on her own.

Melee-wise, she was REALLY let down as a character. (Hang out with Wolverine... and Psylocke, Gambit, Bishop, and Storm are all in the house? She should have been the most bad@$$ of ALL that next generation.) The argument could be made that she just didn't want to hurt anybody, even defensively... BUT too often it was just shown that she "couldn't" hurt anyone.

This moment here is BIG because it shows the first time in her 31 years that she set it all aside and purposely went all-out on opponents.

So... MY question of course is... I know she jumped, but she was AWFULLY high up in that air while Shogo and crew were still on the ground. Given the time she jumped, she "should" have beat them to the ground.

Was she flying? Did the vampirism that was purged by the Phoenix force have permanent effects on her body that allowed or to hover like that?

Telekinetic lift assist from Betsy.

Telekinetic lift assist from Betsy.
    That would be the simplest answer, but I see nothing that even supports that. Betsy - telepath as she is - didn't seem to know what she was about to do until that "Oh $#!+" moment.

Howard’s poorly scripting and To’s bad choices end up with strange action scenes. I bet Howard wasn’t even thinking she’d be in the air.

Astonishing Member

She doesn't need teleportation or phasing to be difficult to harm because she already has her human skills for that. Her ability as a gymnast/acrobat is generally supposed to make her hard to hit/get a hold of. She's kind of like Robin in the early Batman comics whose skills as an acrobat were supposed to be a major advantage. People kind of play that down with Jubilee, though. Possibly because the first time we see her exhibit those skills is when she's being chased by mall security guards and characters like that tend to get played as inept comic fodder on TV and stuff (I maintain that those security guards were actually supposed to be good at their jobs, just not at Jubilee's level). It's also possibly because the X-Men comics are full of characters whose powers include being a "super-acrobat" (Beast, Nightcrawler, Longshot, Gambit, etc) so we tend to act like regular acrobatics pale in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by MacrossPlus View Post
    a very underrated X-men character. Capcom should've put her in one of their games
    Jubilee was a defining 90s fictional character. she is only underrated for those who are way into Kitty Pryde. I love Jubs, some found are annoying in the cartoons, however she spoke to my insecure girl hood as a kid.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Acts of Vengeance: Part 3 of 3. "Broken Chains"
    Wolverine has been captured by The Hand, a mysterious ninja organization that works for The Mandarin.
    He is in a state of stasis as the mind controlled Pylocke monitors his psychic condition, which is not well.
    He is at a point of psychic despair, as he is in a similar state to the state he was in during Weapon X.
    His bestial form is about to come out due to the circumstances.
    Jubilee is also captured by Matsuo Tsurayaba.

A brief escape attempt by Jubilee gets foiled by The Mandarin who also attacks Matsuo and the Hand,
    as they attempted to command him around in his own house. Matsuo apologizes and is rebunked.

On Muir Isle, Banshee, Forge, Sharon Friedlander and Moira MacTaggert are training.
    All of them seem to be tired and wary of their situation.
    Lorna Dane is trapped in Proteus' old room,
    and cannot escape as Legion has trapped her there.
    Back in Hong Kong, Jubilee is presented to Mandarin.

Psylocke is still fiddling with Wolverine's mind, showing him
    phantom versions of Marvel Girl, Mariko Yashida and Yukio.
    Wolverine defeats her in pyschic combat, and breaks free from the cage.

After defeating him once more, Psylocke presents him to Mandarin, but Jubilee manages to get free.

Psylocke reveals that it was all a ruse, and her and Jubilee attack Mandarin.
    With the help of Wolverine, all three of them defeat Mandarin
    and get on a ship, sailing to an unknown location.
    Psylocke reveals her story as well.

Story by Chris Claremont. Art by Jim Lee and Scott Williams.
    This is the Jim Lee I prefer. He has been doubling up on the muscles these days and I think, frankly, he was a better story teller then. Also, Jubilee is so spunky here.