Thread: Decorum

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Decorum

Anyone pick up issue 1? What did you think?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I decided to give it a try after having been pleasantly surprised by Hickman's6 recent X-Men work. It read more as a role-playing game source book than a comic. A potentially interesting Science-Fiction setting with a secondary story. I kind of liked the comic parts of it, and wish that more of the first issue established the setting within the story rather than through infographics. When he isn't creating a world from scratch he does a better job balancing things out.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

The book was written in 2 parts and they don't really seem to overlap at all. I want more and I want to see how they connect.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member

The preview didn't do it for me. But I might check it out when the trade is out...

I enjoyed it a lot. Gorgeous art, and a relatively light focus on world building when compared to a usual Hickman-affair made it a breezier read. Excited to see where it goes.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I like it enough to follow for a few issues. Looks terrific, and, for me, too, in its comics sections, read well, if interrupted periodically with encyclopedic passages delineating the 'new world.' I would have so much rather had all this revealed through dialogue and artwork as it became pertinent to the immediate story, or at least, piled into the back of the issue. But when we get to the characters in some more detail, I think I'm going to enjoy this.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    interrupted periodically with encyclopedic passages
    It's a Hickman book, matt. *shrug*

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

"It's a Hickman book, matt. *shrug* " Heh--that's usually my response to whether or not to pick up a new title. Haven't read any of his stuff for years. Something about Decorum's pitch attracted me "anyway," so here I am.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet