Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Doesn't it bother anyone else that Image doesn't have any continuity or shared universes anymore? There are some books that sound interesting to me but i don't get them because once the book is over, the chances of seeing the characters are slim.
    Actually, I'm the opposite. One of the things that I like about my Image books is that I almost certainly don't have to have read anything else to fully appreciate the book.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Actually, I'm the opposite. One of the things that I like about my Image books is that I almost certainly don't have to have read anything else to fully appreciate the book.
    Same here. Not a big fan of shared universe. I like that a few of them exist but in general I prefer to avoid them.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Doesn't it bother anyone else that Image doesn't have any continuity or shared universes anymore? There are some books that sound interesting to me but i don't get them because once the book is over, the chances of seeing the characters are slim.
    This approach is baffling to me, to be honest. Curious if you feel this way about movies or novels? Would you never watch a movie that doesn't have a sequel?

Astonishing Member

Shared universe? Read Marvel or DC. Its not easy to pull that off, even in a cooperate brand let alone creator owned.

I am happy about creator owned stand alone books.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Black Monday Murders... I hope. Has anyone heard anything new on Tomm Coker's situation? I can't find anything with a quick Google search.

This is the first I've heard about Decorum. I'll give anything Hickman a shot.
    So far, I can't recall coming across anything.

As for the "Shared Universe..." angle...

While I'm not going to knock that someone might feel that way, I don't think I've ever once felt this way since Image moved away from it. Never mind that a character who will be killed won't wind up ever turning up again. Should we do away with characters potentially being killed off while we're at it?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Shared universe? Read Marvel or DC. Its not easy to pull that off, even in a cooperate brand let alone creator owned.

I am happy about creator owned stand alone books.
    Valiant did

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Valiant did
    Okay, they did.

But I think Image is best suited for stand alones

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

The Ludocrats, Tartarus, and On the Stump look cool. Mirka Andolfo's Mercy looks to be the only real "must" for me.

Decorum, in theory, is a must-read, butttt...will Hickman ever finish it? I've learned to just wait for Hickman's creator-owned stuff to be completed before I get excited to read them.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Sometimes things are special because they don't last. -- Zhi, Tales from the Loop

Decorum, the conclusion to Low, and Protector for me.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I, too, am not a big fan of shared universes, as I find the whole idea very much overdone nowadays.
    Meanwhile... anticipating:
    Decorum,
    Lazarus, always
    Adventure Man 1 (don't recall why; maybe just to order *something* from Image?!)
    and, sadly, not much else caught my eye from the past two previews....
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Yeah it can be hard finding indie books, I personally find it hard to find a good indie book because its not in a shared universe because I am so used to that with Marvel and DC. For other Shared Universes I'd go Valiant, Catalyst Prime, and Black Hammer(there is enough out there now by Jeff Lemire that it counts).

But as for what I am anticipating, mainly in trade
    -Decorum (It's Hickman)
    -Donny Cates new teased book, hasn't been officially announced but he is a good writer and I'm interested
    -Fire Power, I read the recent preview for the OGN, I'm down for some Kung-fu action
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Weatherman Vol. 3 is all I have on the horizon.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm the opposite, I'd prefer just reading a good story and moving on.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Excited for wherever Gideon Falls goes, I can’t work out if we’re near the end or just getting started.
    Lazarus is always an exciting one.
    Excited for Sagas return.
    Donny Cates’ new project and Decorum, too. I’ll give Kirkmans Firepower a go but I’m not sure if I’ll like it.

Astonishing Member

like Sifighter said, Decorum because it's Hickman, the man excels at world/universe building.