Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 499
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    25,212

    Default New Warriors Appreciation 2020

    An appreciation thread for the New Warriors.







    https://www.newsarama.com/48562-nigh...-outlawed.html
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-12-2020 at 05:16 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    I like Dwayne and Sil’s new costumes.

  3. #3

    Default

    On another note (and this is controversial) Rich being developed into a cosmic legend screwed things up for the others. The new warriors will never be what it was because of how they promoted Nova while destroying the others. And make no mistake. Thrash, Namorita, and Speedball were effectively destroyed. Rich was an essential piece of what made the original incarnation work. He’s the flying male brick. He’s the “older brother” archetype in relation to Speedball. He’s the former romantic interest of Nita. Dwayne & Sil - Robbie & Elvin - Vance & Angel- Nita & ? Do see how disjointed the team is now? It surprises me that they are working together. Hopefully they explain why Dwayne was absent when Rage was imprisoned & hospitalization (not that any of his other friends showed up).

  4. #4
    Mighty Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    That reminds me. Nova is a movie that's 98% confirmed for the MCU. Feige said its percolating in development, and then it was confirmed they intended Richard Rider to appear in IW/Endgame but was cut because of precious time and the difficulty of introducing a newcomer hero in a big finale.

    When he does appear, do you think they'll keep or cut his part in the New Warriors? I could see the first movie ending with Nova back on Earth, and joining the New Warriors for the sequel or a Disney+ series, before growing into the cosmic legend later. But I can also easily see them just cutting out the New Warriors part entirely and making him cosmic only.

    The canned Marvel TV show didn't include Nova, I'm guessing he was off-limits before the whole thing when to pot.

  5. #5

    Default

    Nova Corps trumps warriors

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    On another note (and this is controversial) Rich being developed into a cosmic legend screwed things up for the others. The new warriors will never be what it was because of how they promoted Nova while destroying the others. And make no mistake. Thrash, Namorita, and Speedball were effectively destroyed. Rich was an essential piece of what made the original incarnation work. He’s the flying male brick. He’s the “older brother” archetype in relation to Speedball. He’s the former romantic interest of Nita. Dwayne & Sil - Robbie & Elvin - Vance & Angel- Nita & ? Do see how disjointed the team is now? It surprises me that they are working together. Hopefully they explain why Dwayne was absent when Rage was imprisoned & hospitalization (not that any of his other friends showed up).
    Romantic stuff aside, he was definitely a big part of that original NW equation. He was the guy who’d call out Night Thrasher, who’d Goof around w. Speedball, who Justice could relate to as a peer.
    And he was, like you said, the flying brick.

    If the new Nova wasn’t already co-opted by The Champions, i’d like him on a Warriors team (not necessarily this team which i’m still iffy on), as he’d essentially be the new Speedball, in terms of age. The dynamic would be fun to explore.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,366

    Default

    I don't see Nova making it to the Warriors, if both are introduced. He'll be cosmic for sure

  8. #8
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    24,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Romantic stuff aside, he was definitely a big part of that original NW equation. He was the guy who’d call out Night Thrasher, who’d Goof around w. Speedball, who Justice could relate to as a peer.
    And he was, like you said, the flying brick.

    If the new Nova wasn’t already co-opted by The Champions, i’d like him on a Warriors team (not necessarily this team which i’m still iffy on), as he’d essentially be the new Speedball, in terms of age. The dynamic would be fun to explore.
    He was on the last team, before the Champions existed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    On another note (and this is controversial) Rich being developed into a cosmic legend screwed things up for the others. The new warriors will never be what it was because of how they promoted Nova while destroying the others. And make no mistake. Thrash, Namorita, and Speedball were effectively destroyed. Rich was an essential piece of what made the original incarnation work. He’s the flying male brick. He’s the “older brother” archetype in relation to Speedball. He’s the former romantic interest of Nita. Dwayne & Sil - Robbie & Elvin - Vance & Angel- Nita & ? Do see how disjointed the team is now? It surprises me that they are working together. Hopefully they explain why Dwayne was absent when Rage was imprisoned & hospitalization (not that any of his other friends showed up).
    Oh please. If this is regarding the MCU, countless characters could be placed in that role.

    Characters grow and develop. Rich is a cosmic Everyman. He's earned his stripes, and cosmic is where he ought to stay.

  10. #10
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    24,414

    Default

    Yeah, if anything destroyed Namorita, it was a) Namor not getting solos nowadays, and b) Civil War killing her off. Nothing to do with Nova rising to prominence.

    Thrasher likewise was only not used because he was dead, though thanks to the skateboard perhaps they thought of him as an outdated "fad super".

    Speedball was used consistently until the last New Warriors book was axed. He joined the Thunderbolts (as Penance), then Avengers Academy, before the New Warriors reformed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Oh please. If this is regarding the MCU, countless characters could be placed in that role.

    Characters grow and develop. Rich is a cosmic Everyman. He's earned his stripes, and cosmic is where he ought to stay.
    He should stay where he is. Doesn’t change my point. And he’s not an Everyman anymore. His stripes were given to him.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He was on the last team, before the Champions existed.
    My bad, i’d like him on a good Warriors team.

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    He should stay where he is. Doesn’t change my point. And he’s not an Everyman anymore. His stripes were given to him.
    He's still an everyman and that'll be Ewing's take on him. When he and Quasar met up, Rich was concerned about inflation, for example. His focus, character and concerns are practical, that's what makes him an everyman

    *edit*

    And no the character earned his stripes in the cosmic scene.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    He's still an everyman and that'll be Ewing's take on him. When he and Quasar met up, Rich was concerned about inflation, for example. His focus, character and concerns are practical, that's what makes him an everyman

    *edit*

    And no the character earned his stripes in the cosmic scene.
    When he gained the ability to kill Annihilus, was it after a series of tests or did the Worldmind just give him the power because the other corps members were dead? I'm not knocking Rich. I'm not against his development. I'm saying that it hurt the New Warriors. They are missing something now.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 01-12-2020 at 02:01 PM.

  15. #15
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    24,414

    Default

    You know, the Warriors have a lot in common with the Justice League. Thrasher, obviously, is the team's Batman, the guy without powers who gathers together the team. Namorita is a clear counterpart to Aquaman (in fact, she was probably created as an answer to Aqualad). Firestar is like Firestorm (the names make it obvious why). Justice would be Martian Manhunter's counterpart. Speedball is the counterpart to Flash. And Nova? He's the team's Superman (flying brick, can survive in space). Unless one of the new kids has similar powers, they need to fill that niche somehow.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •