Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    So just for comparison, I checked the likes/dislikes and comments for the Children of the Atom trailer, the parallel young mutant group. Though fewer, it's a similar trend: more negative comments and dislikes than likes. Seems that almost across the board any new teen group mentored by a legacy group is pilloried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLVebLhsG7w
    In all fairness that book wasn't initially well received on the X-boards either...

And regardless of what NORMIES or Haters even might say think or comment but the X boards saying no to something at this kind of 'all time high' for them is kind of a bad sign... but...

The problem ISN'T actually teen mentored by legacy group, but a fireable of tone-deafness and "hello fellow teenagers" styled approach. I mean. . .

"One of them has a Tik-tok!"

*sigh*

You know... there is a way approach teen heroes being mentored. My hero academia exists out there somewhere and teenagers actually spend money for that product sometimes cause they like it.
    So... really what were seeing here isnt just "le trollze" (though they're prolly having panic attacks from laughter) but failures of
    Marketing, target audience, price point, distribution, as well ad poor quality character design and concept.

...and well it being the internet era AND th quarantine era people are for entertainment, so them taking a crap on bad ideas is reasonable and expected in this case.

Teen heroes dressing up to be like thier favorite x-men mutant or naw, isnt the best idea starting with "it isnt the freshest idea" is it.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I'm okay with the names and the appearances of the characters. Going back to the video interview, I feel that the writer wants to take back terms like "Snowflake" and "Safespace" and reconfigure from terms of derision to ones of pride. Still, intention is one thing, execution is another. We'll see how it goes. For me, I'm glad that we are getting characters of different shapes and gender labels in a Marvel book.

Ultimately, I'm in this to see more of Night Thrasher's sweet new costume .
    This writer wanting to take "them back" make me think of the Randall scene in Clerk 2 and the end "It's cool I'm taking it back.".

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    So just for comparison, I checked the likes/dislikes and comments for the Children of the Atom trailer, the parallel young mutant group. Though fewer, it's a similar trend: more negative comments and dislikes than likes. Seems that almost across the board any new teen group mentored by a legacy group is pilloried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLVebLhsG7w
    That trailer reeks of hello fellow kids. Why are they carbon copies of fan favorite characters?

Because these new kids are fans of said characters. They've already debuted, in the Voices one-shot. They spoke to Forge, said they were a big fan of his. No doubt he made all their tech that emulates mutant powers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

They should've just kept the newer characters from the last volume of NW minus Nova (because he's already in Champions) as i believe they're all under 21 and have decent visual appearances and not cringe inducing names.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    They should've just kept the newer characters from the last volume of NW minus Nova (because he's already in Champions) as i believe they're all under 21 and have decent visual appearances and not cringe inducing names.
    Probably too intimidating for Kibblesmith.
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Probably too intimidating for Kibblesmith.

I really don't understand the prefernce of realatively new creators preferring to create a crop of brand new characters vs using ones that don't have a ton of history to begin with. To me you can make just as much of a mark/contribution to the Marvel U by continuing to flesh out and develop characters with not a ton of history ( Sun Girl, Haechi, Hummingbird) as you can by creating new characters.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I really don't understand the prefernce of realatively new creators preferring to create a crop of brand new characters vs using ones that don't have a ton of history to begin with. To me you can make just as much of a mark/contribution to the Marvel U by continuing to flesh out and develop characters with not a ton of history ( Sun Girl, Haechi, Hummingbird) as you can by creating new characters.
    Haechi should've gotten more love when the Inhumans were getting their big push. Sun Girl would be great for a team-up with other girl geniuses like Moon Girl, Ironheart, and Nadia Pym-van Dyne (the last one, I think actually did happen in an issue of Unstoppable Wasp). I'd especially love to see Hummingbird's story fleshed out and expanded like Chris Yost was intending to do in Scarlet Spider (starring Kaine Parker) and the previous New Warriors before both those titles got cut short.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Sometimes it's you can't use (blank) for whatever reasons.

Other times it's I want something I created on the screen even if I don't have full ownership of it.

I would prefer to use who is already there and if it takes off I get credited for it-see Priest on Black Panther.

The trolls are only coming out of the woodwork because NW put a target on Marvel’s back. Like someone said earlier in the thread, this is coming from the people who were never going to support any of those books anyway. It’s just “review bombing”, which is a tactic they’ve been using for a while. It means nothing. I say let the books come out and their quality (or lack thereof) speak for itself.
    BINGO--
    All this has done is give them monetizing on youtube.

Marvel asked for this. They would have been better doing an OGN.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Haechi should've gotten more love when the Inhumans were getting their big push. Sun Girl would be great for a team-up with other girl geniuses like Moon Girl, Ironheart, and Nadia Pym-van Dyne (the last one, I think actually did happen in an issue of Unstoppable Wasp). I'd especially love to see Hummingbird's story fleshed out and expanded like Chris Yost was intending to do in Scarlet Spider (starring Kaine Parker) and the previous New Warriors before both those titles got cut short.

Yeah as much as i enjoyed Yost's SS run and hoped the Aztec thread with Aracely would get picked up again at some point i think other stories can be told without resolving that plot point and maybe one day Yost will get to tell the rest of that story. Also as much as i like the big brother little sister relationship she has with Kaine i think she's a decent enough character and can fend for herself a bit that his pressence is not a prerequisite for her to be utilized.

Extraordinary Member

I think it is about wanting to make the next Wolverine / Deadpool / etc... They want an original character that they get to take credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Other times it's I want something I created on the screen even if I don't have full ownership of it.

I would prefer to use who is already there and if it takes off I get credited for it-see Priest on Black Panther.
    But who would be against using such minor characters at Thunderstrike or Spider-Girl (Anya) or Toro (Benito Serrano)??

------------------------

Editing to add...I could have seen B-Negative as something cool....if they had not made him out to be so lame. Goth kid who is a living vamp. Suckers on his hands (I can see the Thing Rings that Darla Deering uses as a fun shout out to the old Thing cartoon...but the suckers on Morbius's hands should have just been wiped from everyone's memories.

With Thrash being part of the Three Xs now...I could see a NW team as being something akin to The Team from the Young Justice cartoon. A covert team that deals with threats quietly...but also keeps Reed Richards and T'Challa / Steve Rogers informed on what is going on.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 03-21-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

BINGO--
    All this has done is give them monetizing on youtube.

Marvel asked for this. They would have been better doing an OGN.
    OGNs are frankly better for a lot of things, including that Spider-Man miniseries by J.J. Abrams and his son Henry, the one that keeps getting delayed. Tell a story that's meant to be finite and concise in one complete, novel-length volume, rather than spreading it out over several months of installments.

Yeah as much as i enjoyed Yost's SS run and hoped the Aztec thread with Aracely would get picked up again at some point i think other stories can be told without resolving that plot point and maybe one day Yost will get to tell the rest of that story. Also as much as i like the big brother little sister relationship she has with Kaine i think she's a decent enough character and can fend for herself a bit that his pressence is not a prerequisite for her to be utilized.
    I can see your point there, and I wasn't necessarily referring to folding Hummingbird back into Kaine's story, mostly that I wanted to see hers fully explored and laid out, whether it would include him or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I think it is about wanting to make the next Wolverine / Deadpoop / etc... They want an original character that they get to take credit for.

But who would be against using such minor characters at Thunderstrike or Spider-Girl (Anya) or Toro (Benito Serrano)??

------------------------

Editing to add...I could have seen B-Negative as something cool....if they had not made him out to be so lame. Goth kid who is a living vamp. Suckers on his hands (I can see the Thing Rings that Darla Deering uses as a fun shout out to the old Thing cartoon...but the suckers on Morbius's hands should have just been wiped from everyone's memories.

With Thrash being part of the Three Xs now...I could see a NW team as being something akin to The Team from the Young Justice cartoon. A covert team that deals with threats quietly...but also keeps Reed Richards and T'Challa / Steve Rogers informed on what is going on.
    That could be an interesting take on the New Warriors. Also, "Deadpoop"? Good one.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    OGNs are frankly better for a lot of things, including that Spider-Man miniseries by J.J. Abrams and his son Henry, the one that keeps getting delayed. Tell a story that's meant to be finite and concise in one complete, novel-length volume, rather than spreading it out over several months of installments.

I can see your point there, and I wasn't necessarily referring to folding Hummingbird back into Kaine's story, mostly that I wanted to see hers fully explored and laid out, whether it would include him or not.

That could be an interesting take on the New Warriors. Also, "Deadpoop"? Good one.
    Oops....mistyped. Corrected.

Oops....mistyped. Corrected.
    All right, then.

Incredible Member

I think it is about wanting to make the next Wolverine / Deadpool / etc... They want an original character that they get to take credit for.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it but to me being able to take credit for the new character is ultimately a hollow accomplishment if your creation gets limited exposure or opportunities once the character is out of your hands.

Ultimately imo these newer characters aren't being given much of an opportunity to gain any type of traction because they're being constantly being replaced with new characters who quite frankly aren't as unique as some of these creators think they are.