Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 70
  1. #16
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Oh please. If this is regarding the MCU, countless characters could be placed in that role.

    Characters grow and develop. Rich is a cosmic Everyman. He's earned his stripes, and cosmic is where he ought to stay.
    Personally, I'd to see Rich have a significant role in some Avengers lineup at some point.

  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You know, the Warriors have a lot in common with the Justice League. Thrasher, obviously, is the team's Batman, the guy without powers who gathers together the team. Namorita is a clear counterpart to Aquaman (in fact, she was probably created as an answer to Aqualad). Firestar is like Firestorm (the names make it obvious why). Justice would be Martian Manhunter's counterpart. Speedball is the counterpart to Flash. And Nova? He's the team's Superman (flying brick, can survive in space). Unless one of the new kids has similar powers, they need to fill that niche somehow.
    I've made that point a number of times in reference to the Squadron Supreme, coincidentally.

  3. #18
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    7,890

    Default

    For what it's worth, I did like the last New Warriors series. Granted, I originally got into it for Chris Yost continuing Kaine's story after his Scarlet Spider series concluded, but to me, the best part was Justice finally giving it to Captain America and Iron Man with both barrels for all the shade they kept casting on the New Warriors, even referring to them at one point as tarnished, as if they'd forgotten their own actions contributing to, if not causing, the original Civil War that split the superhero community and led to all sorts of dirty business culminating in the likes of Norman Osborn being given the proverbial keys to the kingdom. Even beyond that, given the litany of sins, mistakes, and failures in the Avengers' individual and collective histories that had even more catastrophic impacts on the world, the question becomes, "Where do the Avengers get off thinking they've got any right to diss the New Warriors?" Thus, I was very happy to see Justice not tolerate it anymore.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  4. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You know, the Warriors have a lot in common with the Justice League. Thrasher, obviously, is the team's Batman, the guy without powers who gathers together the team. Namorita is a clear counterpart to Aquaman (in fact, she was probably created as an answer to Aqualad). Firestar is like Firestorm (the names make it obvious why). Justice would be Martian Manhunter's counterpart. Speedball is the counterpart to Flash. And Nova? He's the team's Superman (flying brick, can survive in space). Unless one of the new kids has similar powers, they need to fill that niche somehow.
    I always saw the New Warriors as more analogous to DC's Teen Titans. They got a comic a decade after the Perez run and have been a mixture of teenage and adult superheroes just like the Titans.

  5. #20
    Incredible Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I always saw the New Warriors as more analogous to DC's Teen Titans. They got a comic a decade after the Perez run and have been a mixture of teenage and adult superheroes just like the Titans.
    Always saw them as a Titans type team as well.
    I was a kid when The New Teen Titans premiered, and caught The New Warriors from the start, too. I got the same sense of fun and excitement from both books. Man those were the days!

  6. #21
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    20,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I always saw the New Warriors as more analogous to DC's Teen Titans. They got a comic a decade after the Perez run and have been a mixture of teenage and adult superheroes just like the Titans.
    Oh, they were definitely created as competition for DC's The New Titans title. It's best years were behind it by then (it got derailed by Crisis of Infinite Earths and Wonder Woman's subsequent reboot, which wiped out the origins of Lilith Clay and Donna Troy) and Marvel probably wanted to grab some of that audience. It must've worked because New Titans ended up getting a major retool in 1992 and again in 1994.

    And here's some sales numbers from August 1991 to prove that. Marvel's cheaper price point probably helped.

    https://comichron.com/monthlycomicss...08Diamond.html
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-12-2020 at 10:12 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    2,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Personally, I'd to see Rich have a significant role in some Avengers lineup at some point.
    Me too. Rich Rider's Nova being a member of the Avengers is long overdue, IMHO.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I always saw the New Warriors as more analogous to DC's Teen Titans. They got a comic a decade after the Perez run and have been a mixture of teenage and adult superheroes just like the Titans.
    i agree with that. but the titans are explicitly young analogues of the Justice League.

  9. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Me too. Rich Rider's Nova being a member of the Avengers is long overdue, IMHO.
    it happened in Secret Avengers. it wasn't all that iimpressive, to be honest. Steve Rogers outright stole his costume and powers to save the day.

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,793

    Default

    Looks like last weekend revealed some suprising news from Marvel Comics........For there will be a Five Issue Miniseires debuting from the OUTLAWED one shot; also From the one shot will be one involving former member Alex Power {tka POWERPAX/-HOUSE} in a Five Issue Miniseries called (appropiately) POWER PACK.....which would hopefully clear up Alex's & Julie's return from the short******d FUTURE FOUNDATION Series..........
    Last edited by PaxHouse; 01-13-2020 at 07:52 AM.

  11. #26
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    20,314

    Default

    Surprising is right. We knew Champions would be back, we certainly weren't expecting Power Pack or New Warriors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it happened in Secret Avengers. it wasn't all that iimpressive, to be honest. Steve Rogers outright stole his costume and powers to save the day.
    And he left after one arc. Sam's had a longer Avengers tenure than Rich, and he was on the main team, too. The current Avengers arc is set in space - would've been an ideal time to call Rich in.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  12. #27
    Mighty Member kevlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Rich has outgrown the warriors. He either needs to stay in space or perhaps join the avengers at some point.

    I've said this before but I'd like to see Vance in space too. How cool would it be for him to join the guardians just like his time displaced older self?

  13. #28

    Default

    I hope that all new villains can be created. who are the historic villains for the team?

  14. #29
    Incredible Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope that all new villains can be created. who are the historic villains for the team?
    They had some great confrontations w. Terrax, The Sphinx, Sebastian Shaw, The Thinker, Sea Urchin...frikkin’ Nitro.

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    2,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    They had some great confrontations w. Terrax, The Sphinx, Sebastian Shaw, The Thinker, Sea Urchin...frikkin’ Nitro.
    And don't forget Juggernaut from their first appearance (Thor #411 & 412):


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •