Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Robin (Dick Grayson), Kid Flash (Wally West) and Aqualad (Garth) team up to defeat a weather-controlling villain known as Mister Twister in The Brave and the Bold #54 (July 1964) by writer Bob Haney and artist Bruno Premiani.[5] They appeared under the name "Teen Titans" in The Brave and the Bold #60 (July 1965), joined by Wonder Woman's younger sister Wonder Girl (Donna Troy).

^seems like all justice league analogues to me. am i confusing it with something else?
    The original 60s team were, but not the 70s team or the New Teen Titans. Like we've already discussed, Marvel were playing catch up to that when creating the New Warriors, as all of their teens outside the X books were white. The odd thing is, as that JLA cover shows, it was the other way around for the adult heroes.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The original 60s team were, but not the 70s team or the New Teen Titans. Like we've already discussed, Marvel were playing catch up to that when creating the New Warriors, as all of their teens outside the X books were white. The odd thing is, as that JLA cover shows, it was the other way around for the adult heroes.
    I’m going to respectfully bow out of the current New Warriors threads, as the only thing I have to contribute is, I don’t see the big deal about diversity.
    Lack of diversity didn’t keep the original NW book from being great. They had great art, smart writing, which made for interesting characters; and more diversity didn’t keep subsequent NW books from being mediocre. They mostly had good art, but the writing was uninspired, and the characters both new and veterans came off boring as a result.

-shrug-

Ultimate Member

So Rina Patel, Timeslip, got a shout out in the Venom:The End mini. How long has it been now? lol

I would love to see more of Rina.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Personally, I'd to see Rich have a significant role in some Avengers lineup at some point.
    Wish granted!

I see Captain America, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Black Knight, Spider-Man, Storm, Thing, She-Hulk, Doctor Strange... and Nova!
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Wish granted!

I see Captain America, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Black Knight, Spider-Man, Storm, Thing, She-Hulk, Doctor Strange... and Nova!
    Ha - I totally didn't see him at first. I thought, "what is this person talking about?" Then I looked again and saw him there in the corner, mostly obscured. Dang, now I might have to get this...

Something that I was wondering just now...

Back in the '90s, how did New Warriors get to be considered a "Spider-Man franchise" by Marvel?

Looking at the original roster, you had Marvel Boy (General MU), Firestar (X-Men*), Namorita (Submariner), Nova (Cosmic), Night Thrasher (original), with Speedball only originating in a Spider-Man title, and furthermore were created by Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz for their Thor run before spinning out in their own book. They were created to be a junior counterpart to the Avengers, like the New Mutants were to the X-Men.

I know they had Scarlet Spider join the team, but that was only to justify calling them a Spider-Man franchise. This was when Marvel split up internally and was categorized by Spider-Man, X-Men, General MU and Mature with different editors, making the normally synergized world a lot less so. It seems weird, like fitting a square peg in a round hole sort of way, because no one really associates the NW with Spider-Man much apart from guest appearances. They're more of a General MU team drawing from all corners than a Spider-Man franchise.

Any word on why this happened?

*Firestar was created in the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends animated series, but was imported into the MU as an X-Men character and mutant, debuting as part of the Hellions and her earliest appearances were very much tied to the X-Men side of the universe. I believe Chris Claremont didn't want anything to do with her because he didn't care to use a character from the show over his own stuff.

Astonishing Member

I would love to see more of Rina.
    Chances are you might see more of Rina/Timslip within the current X-Men series.......

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Something that I was wondering just now...

Back in the '90s, how did New Warriors get to be considered a "Spider-Man franchise" by Marvel?

Looking at the original roster, you had Marvel Boy (General MU), Firestar (X-Men*), Namorita (Submariner), Nova (Cosmic), Night Thrasher (original), with Speedball only originating in a Spider-Man title, and furthermore were created by Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz for their Thor run before spinning out in their own book. They were created to be a junior counterpart to the Avengers, like the New Mutants were to the X-Men.

I know they had Scarlet Spider join the team, but that was only to justify calling them a Spider-Man franchise. This was when Marvel split up internally and was categorized by Spider-Man, X-Men, General MU and Mature with different editors, making the normally synergized world a lot less so. It seems weird, like fitting a square peg in a round hole sort of way, because no one really associates the NW with Spider-Man much apart from guest appearances. They're more of a General MU team drawing from all corners than a Spider-Man franchise.

Any word on why this happened?

*Firestar was created in the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends animated series, but was imported into the MU as an X-Men character and mutant, debuting as part of the Hellions and her earliest appearances were very much tied to the X-Men side of the universe. I believe Chris Claremont didn't want anything to do with her because he didn't care to use a character from the show over his own stuff.
    Speedball wasn't even created for Spider-Man. That ASM Annual appearance was only a couple of weeks before his solo book launched, so it was clearly to promote it.

As for New Warriors being a spider office book, definitely a case of square peg, round hole. It really ought to have been Avengers office, like Marvel's later teen teams the Young Avengers and Champions are.

Thanks for clarifying on the Speedball thing, never followed him much. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought it was weird. Any word on how that decision came to be?

Ultimate Member

As for New Warriors being a spider office book, definitely a case of square peg, round hole. It really ought to have been Avengers office, like Marvel's later teen teams the Young Avengers and Champions are.
    At that point in Marvel history, the Spider-corner of the office probably had way more juju than the Avengers office...

Extraordinary Member

Is the pale girl on the cover for the new series a vampire? Because her suit is sort of similar to Morbius's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Is the pale girl on the cover for the new series a vampire? Because her suit is sort of similar to Morbius's.
    My first reaction was, “hey, there’s a vampire.” I wonder how that will work.

Extraordinary Member

My first reaction was, “hey, there’s a vampire.” I wonder how that will work.
    I would assume that they're a normal vampire, but normal vamps are normally given a more normal skin tone, not stark white and aren't drawn with such large ears. And their suit looks like Morbius's suit.

My guess is that they were turned by Morbius, but they could still be a normal vampire or turned by someone like Vic Slaughter, which would be a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I would assume that they're a normal vampire, but normal vamps are normally given a more normal skin tone, not stark white and aren't drawn with such large ears. And their suit looks like Morbius's suit.

My guess is that they were turned by Morbius, but they could still be a normal vampire or turned by someone like Vic Slaughter, which would be a trip.
    Kind of looks like a Vampire by Night.