Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That issue was well handled with the blue Starman in Robinson's "Starman"
    oou I always wonder about this sort of thing, I will have to check this out.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

One- He´s an straight male alien, like it or not. Two: is canon he finds humans attractive at least in comics, he said he finds Ice and his Mom attractive

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Would he even find humans attractive? His natural form isn't humanoid, after all.
    I'd like to imagine, given the psychic nature of Martian culture, so long as there is a significant emotional connection J'onn or M'gann would be comfortable with any sentient being; human, beetle, eagle, leopard or even a centipede, ya know? if you can physically simulate and wholly assimilate into any creature in the universe with a thought, I don't think sexual compatibility would be much of a hang up for you. it's like cloths, I may not like what my partner is wearing but when it's time to get down to business it's what's underneath that matters.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by TheManhunterfromMars View Post
    One- He´s an straight male alien, like it or not. Two: is canon he finds humans attractive at least in comics, he said he finds Ice and his Mom attractive
    he's a fictional shapeshifting alien, I can bet you there isn't a story where he says "I'm a straight male alien." because him being heterosexually attracted to a foreign species isn't all that intrinsic to his being; I mean he's technically already committing beastiality considering how evolutionary dissimilar he is from human beings. no need to get your panties in a bunch.

currently following:

I don't think anyone has ever really felt like a good fit for J'onn.

He doesn't necessarily need a love interest anyway. Some characters are better when they don't. I enjoy the fact that Carol Danvers has damn little time for a love life and can barely squeeze in a hook up with Rhodey. I like that Mr. Terrific is the eternal widow who still misses his wife and hasn't met anyone who could take her place. And I like J'onn in that same kind of role.

Beyond that I think there's a whole lot about J'onn that needs some TLC before the topic of love interests even comes up.

But if I had to pick an established character, I suppose Fire makes as much sense as anyone. It sort of works in an "opposites attract" kind of way. She's loud and outspoken and emotional but well adjusted, while J'onn is quiet and introspective and rational (unless cookies are involved!). Her powers provide an obvious counterpoint that highlights the "opposites attract" element. And more than anything, she might bring him out of his shell a bit.

But probably the best love interest for J'onn that I've seen (or that comes to mind anyway) is the nameless old woman from the JLU cartoon. J'onn's an old soul, and depending on the continuity is literally centuries old. I feel like he'd connect to someone elderly more than he would a younger person and I liked how mundane and ordinary that old lady was, which was a nice contrast to the incredibly fantastical and otherworldly J'onn J'onzz.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

His species has males and females, and reproduction is sexually. You´re not thinking in Martian Manhunter, you´re thinking in Piccolo... please stop

As much as I adore the riff on Diane Meade from the current Martian Manhunter series, neither J'onn J'onzz nor John Jones seem her type.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/e7f9a964...wo2_r1_500.png

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

But probably the best love interest for J'onn that I've seen (or that comes to mind anyway) is the nameless old woman from the JLU cartoon. J'onn's an old soul, and depending on the continuity is literally centuries old. I feel like he'd connect to someone elderly more than he would a younger person and I liked how mundane and ordinary that old lady was, which was a nice contrast to the incredibly fantastical and otherworldly J'onn J'onzz.
    I did like that. For a second I thought it was weird, and even creepy in an abuse of elderly type way, but then I realized. . . This guys over a hundred years old. Makes more sense than the vampire and the teen girl. Uhm. you know their names from twilight.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

Martian Manhunter hasn't been shown to be gay to my knowledge. He was romantically involved with a red devil looking woman named Scorch back in the early 2000's.

Retired

Given his physiology I don't buy the argument that J'Onn is straight in the human sense. Even if he acts like a straight Earth male, that in itself is not straight. Everything he does is an act. So any love interest is a beard. He or she would be a cover for the outré essence of the Manhunter from Mars.

I want to second the little old lady from JLU. J'onn in most iterations is supposed to be quite old (human wise, at least 100 if not in the hundreds), war weary (though still a hero), a widower, and probably appreciates someone in a similar mindset moreso than then a young person.

That, or he's married to the lady CEO of Oreos.

A New York cabbie or bus driver.
    Or a bartender.
    Someone that he could spill his troubles to often in a different disguise and get a good view of everyday people.

No superheroes and no aliens.
    Just a regular human.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManhunterfromMars View Post
    His species has males and females, and reproduction is sexually. You´re not thinking in Martian Manhunter, you´re thinking in Piccolo... please stop
    again, their aliens, I'm aware he has a wife but at the end of the day they are fictional shapeshifting aliens, genitalia is pretty superficial to them. again, when were talking about an alien that's so evolutionarily dissimilar to humans banging humans, so dissimilar in fact that they have to shapeshift in order to have a physically intimate relationship, him adhering to human heteronormalivity is only as significant as which ever writer is telling the story. him having as a queer relationship is just as likely as having a percieved heterosexual one. again, if it makes you feel better, he's basically commit beastiality regardless.

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Given his physiology I don't buy the argument that J'Onn is straight in the human sense. Even if he acts like a straight Earth male, that in itself is not straight. Everything he does is an act. So any love interest is a beard. He or she would be a cover for the outré essence of the Manhunter from Mars.
    bingo bango ^

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Agreed. I mean, J'onn comes from a race of shape shifting telepaths. Their culture would have a very different concept of sexuality. Just the idea of "straight and gay" goes out the window when a individual can switch between them at will. Even if martians are born with a specific gender (which does seem to be the case) the fluidity of their forms adds so many layers and subtexts to sexuality......and that's not even getting into the psychic aspects of their culture. J'onn is a straight martian, we know this because he had a wife and uses gendered terms to refer to himself and her (who's name escapes me....Mar'ii or something?) but what "straight" looks like on Mars was likely very different from how we understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I want to second the little old lady from JLU. J'onn in most iterations is supposed to be quite old (human wise, at least 100 if not in the hundreds), war weary (though still a hero), a widower, and probably appreciates someone in a similar mindset moreso than then a young person.
    Yeah, like Midnight v I was a little weirded out for a second, but once I thought about it I realized how perfect it was.

There must be some old school Golden Age character who could be used......maybe Sandra "Phantom Lady" Knight? I'm pretty sure she never re-married after divorcing.....whoever he was....Arn Munroe maybe?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.