Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Her orientation was switched in the New52 reboot. Since it was a fresh continuity I kinda give it a free pass. It's a huge deviation, but it wasn't breaking actual continuity since everything beforehand no longer counted.

I agree though; Maxima's always been very, very firmly established as straight and her search for a partner who could provide a worthy heir is practically her entire character. I think she even expressed some anti-gay opinions in Justice League once (and got called out on it by Wonder Woman or somebody).

Now, if DC ran with the idea that the New52 Maxima, who was much younger than the original one, was the daughter of the Maxima who chased Superman, that solves the issue and provides some solid narrative soil.

I agree completely. It could also match up with the fact Maxima died in Our Worlds at War.

Maxima always had this tanned skin sometimes orange like Starfire or it's a new thing for this new Maxima?

I miss the pre 52 Maxima as well, the design and attitude

Her orientation was switched in the New52 reboot. Since it was a fresh continuity I kinda give it a free pass. It's a huge deviation, but it wasn't breaking actual continuity since everything beforehand no longer counted.

I agree though; Maxima's always been very, very firmly established as straight and her search for a partner who could provide a worthy heir is practically her entire character. I think she even expressed some anti-gay opinions in Justice League once (and got called out on it by Wonder Woman or somebody).

Now, if DC ran with the idea that the New52 Maxima, who was much younger than the original one, was the daughter of the Maxima who chased Superman, that solves the issue and provides some solid narrative soil.
    You had to explain the appearance of the "fake" Maxima, who looked like the OC Maxima to establish Minima as the "Real" Maxima.
    I will just go with the solution applied to Lobo and just recover Maxima to her original characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    I agree completely. It could also match up with the fact Maxima died in Our Worlds at War.
    Death can be undone. Specially with so many reboots around.

Not to sound “anti-woke”, but I didn’t like the portrayal of Maxima in the recent issue of Wonder Woman. Maxima, to me, has always been into men. From trying to get Superman to her hooking up with Amazing Man to finally being with Massacre, she has always been as straight as an arrow. I found it hard to believe she would just change. Seemed forced to me.
    Don't forget also how Ultraa was changed to represent the "P-rchy". The only solution is to say they are different characters, in values and identities.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Not to sound “anti-woke”, but I didn’t like the portrayal of Maxima in the recent issue of Wonder Woman. Maxima, to me, has always been into men. From trying to get Superman to her hooking up with Amazing Man to finally being with Massacre, she has always been as straight as an arrow. I found it hard to believe she would just change. Seemed forced to me.
    Agreed. From her inception she's been into men. I understand why they felt like they needed to tweak her because her sexuality is a big part of a narrative where she is 'turned down' by Superman, but there were so many other ways to give her more agency. I thought having Massacre in Maxima's orbit was a good step in that direction. Superman may not be interested because he's with Lois, but that shouldn't stop Maxima from having a rotating cast of bricks or competent secondary characters following her around like Grayven, Bolphunga the Unrelenting, Vartox, or Jax-Ur. If we don't see Maxima attracting other potential suitors in her universe, and all we know is that Superman 'turned her down', not only does she become an unconvincing Catwoman archetype for Clark, she's an unconvincing queen.

Queen Elizabeth 1 never married, but she had the king of Sweden, the king of France, and dozens of dukes, earls, and princes orbiting her. Catherine the Great had the Orlov brothers, Grigory Potemkin, and many many more lovers that would do her favors. Both women were rulers of two of the biggest empires in history. Even on Game of Thrones, Daenerys Targaryen always had high status or competent characters pining for her like a Jorah Mormont or a Daario Naharis. If Maxima is supposed to be the queen of a powerful empire that spans several planets, she should have plenty of military leaders, aristocrats, or kings all competing for her attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    Maxima always had this tanned skin sometimes orange like Starfire or it's a new thing for this new Maxima?

I miss the pre 52 Maxima as well, the design and attitude
    No the orange skin is a new depiction.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    You had to explain the appearance of the "fake" Maxima, who looked like the OC Maxima to establish Minima as the "Real" Maxima.
    I will just go with the solution applied to Lobo and just recover Maxima to her original characteristics.

Death can be undone. Specially with so many reboots around.

Don't forget also how Ultraa was changed to represent the "P-rchy". The only solution is to say they are different characters, in values and identities.
    I think the Maxima retcon can easily be smoothed out by saying "Minima" was lying about classic Maxima's backstory. That whole issue's plot felt rather rushed, and it really doesn't fit with classic Maxima's words. Classic Max talks about taking back the title and throne, or with the idea of rebirth restoring Superman's history and the presumption that classic would have been the one Superman would have dealt with. It's not hard to rationalize why the younger max would lie to Kara about the older one Maxima being her mothers guard when she's actually her mother. Kara wouldn't have met the original Max with her being presumed dead in the imperiex war which was before Kara was reintroduced, and Clark wasn't present at that time to go "wait a minute, I know this older Maxima, what's really going on?" There's a lot of wiggle room for retconning/explaining things with this.

I have to say I'm warming up to this older Maxima is younger Maxima's mom idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I think the Maxima retcon can easily be smoothed out by saying "Minima" was lying about classic Maxima's backstory. That whole issue's plot felt rather rushed, and it really doesn't fit with classic Maxima's words.
    Yes, that is a possibility.

Classic Max talks about taking back the title and throne, or with the idea of rebirth restoring Superman's history and the presumption that classic would have been the one Superman would have dealt with. It's not hard to rationalize why the younger max would lie to Kara about the older one Maxima being her mothers guard when she's actually her mother. Kara wouldn't have met the original Max with her being presumed dead in the imperiex war which was before Kara was reintroduced, and Clark wasn't present at that time to go "wait a minute, I know this older Maxima, what's really going on?" There's a lot of wiggle room for retconning/explaining things with this.
    I wish so much to see such scene. But I doubt Bendis would deliver it.

I have to say I'm warming up to this older Maxima is younger Maxima's mom idea.
    I would prefer if they say than Minima is a failed clone.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

art Tom Grummet Maxima and Superman 90

Superman should be the father, give him a "Damian".

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Superman should be the father, give him a "Damian".
    It's not the worst idea. But we basically have this already in Conner.

But....gha, I don't like the idea of Clark having kids. Thematically I just don't think it's the right move, though I can't argue with the business sense of it.

I have ideas I'd use for Maxima, starting with her marriage to Vartox and then expanding on and exploring the empire of Almerac, but her having Clark's kid isn't a trigger I'd pull. But if someone did? I couldn't blame them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Let me get this straight. Rebirth combined the timelines and recton'd PC Maxima's death from Our Worlds at War just for her to be arrested so the New 52 can go on in DC?

BANNED

Maxima obsessed with a man is wrong and you have to become a lesbian. Catwoman obsessed with a man, nothing happens. I am, better I do not say how far, that dc changes characters from the superman universe, for no reason, but the worst thing is that they eliminate all history with superman, maxima is a character of superman, but now it seems that she is from wonder woman. I don't understand the mania that DC has with stealing from Superman. then he does not sell, dammit if you are leaving him in underpants.

Extraordinary Member

Wasn’t Maxima a supporting character in Superwoman?

The teen one and the OG were. For an arc revolving around them.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    The teen one and the OG were. For an arc revolving around them.
    Upon my research, I found out that the OG Maxima never died

Jla/avengers issue #4 which canon by Marvel and DC. Maxima appeared in the last issue fighting

Superman/Batman #41 Highfather showed Superman his life which evolved Maxima suggesting she was alive

The Multiversity: Ultra Comics #1 shows that Post Crisis Utraa was banished to another time planets aways. He said it was his mission to get back to Maxima. Which means she was still alive.

When she "died" in world's apart series the only theory could be

1. She transferred her consciousness into one of her clones quickly
    2. She teleported out the blast
    3. The "maxima" that died was a clone.

Since N52 was going rebirth basically Post Crisis. That means it would be two Maxima's in the continuum. Which is why they arrested the OG Maxima to develop the new Maxima from what I took from it