Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default Impact of Marvel and DC Films on Past & Future Films in the CBM Genre

What impact do you think the success of the Marvel and DC films over the past few years will have on future films in the genre?

As always there are some good and bad things that will occur as part of what has transpired in the CBM genre over the past few years. Marvel propelled CBM to the center of the movie market and has overtaken every other genre. The good is that studios are willing to invest in making more films in the genre. The bad is they have over saturated the market with a studio driven product that may reduce overall interest in the future.

The good with DC is they have created some of the greatest CBM of all time and have changed how we see CBM. The bad is they are not consistent and may turn off people from seeing films in the future.

IMO the impact from Joker, Logan, and Winter Soldier is going to propel DC and Marvel to look at how different genres can be incorporated into each film and not make CBM feel like CBM.

Another impact is I think that TV will begin to be incorporated in the MCU which I think is a bad idea. IMO it's too much to ask consumers to keep up with film and tv in order to enjoy the larger overarching storyline and may backfire. Especially when they don't know if they can garner the same scale of interest from the audience again.

Scaled back my original post so the thread doesn't derail and it's less confusing.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 01-13-2020 at 05:16 AM.