Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default STEEL- John Henry Irons Appreciation 2020

So, Iīve seen there isnīt an appreciation of Steel despite being a member of Super Family... this, finally.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

It's pretty sad, I honestly can't remember if Steel appeared in any superhero books or more than just a cameo last year.

I REALLY want a Steel/Guy Gardner mini series. These two were bros in college and had some hero team ups, a silly testosterone drenched book would be hilarious.

steel-annual-2-1.jpgsteel-annual-2-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It's pretty sad, I honestly can't remember if Steel appeared in any superhero books or more than just a cameo last year.
    I really want a Superfamily team book like Tynion’s Tec. Maybe Priest could write it, he might be against being pigeonholed onto solo black books but he doesn’t seem to mind writing teams, and he wrote a Steel series, and Kenan cameo’d in Deathstroke so he’d use him as well. I really want to see Steel and Lana’s relationship continued I think it’s one of the best things that’s happened to both characters.

Happy 2020 to my Second Favorite Other Superman (after Val Zod). May the New Year bring a return to greater relevance for this dynamic and interesting character.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

I agree, two forgotten superman related characters into a relationship, and one of them so underrated as Steel? I ship it!

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I REALLY want a Steel/Guy Gardner mini series. These two were bros in college and had some hero team ups, a silly testosterone drenched book would be hilarious.

steel-annual-2-1.jpg
    Oh my god, they WHAT? This is amazing and only makes me like them both more!

Wait, but I thought Guy was a social worker, not a phys ed. teacher.

516632-4_1steel.jpg

Anyway, Steel is a really cool hero. He was very popular, very commonly used for a while there... what happened?
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Happy New Year to the success of The Man of Steel .

I hope Bendis has some plans for John Henry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I really want a Superfamily team book like Tynion’s Tec. Maybe Priest could write it, he might be against being pigeonholed onto solo black books but he doesn’t seem to mind writing teams, and he wrote a Steel series, and Kenan cameo’d in Deathstroke so he’d use him as well. I really want to see Steel and Lana’s relationship continued I think it’s one of the best things that’s happened to both characters.
    I wonder if a Priest Superfamily book would be as dysfunctional as Tynion's team .

Cheers to a highly underutilized friend of Clark's and awesome hero.

His best costume, imo:

steel.jpg
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Much love for Steel, one of the greatest heroes to come out of the 90's from any publisher! That's right! I said it, I'll put Steel up against virtually anyone from the Image era explosion and expect my man Dr. Irons to come out on top most of the time.

I still wonder why and how he fell by the wayside. I mean, if this were Marvel he'd have two books and be leading an Avengers squad by now.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Happy New Year to the success of The Man of Steel .

I hope Bendis has some plans for John Henry.

I wonder if a Priest Superfamily book would be as dysfunctional as Tynion's team .
    Between Kara, Kon, and Kenan there’s enough teenage angst to power all the CW shows for the next decade . Steel’s more grown up and mature attitude would honestly be perfect for him to be the only sane man on a team full of temperamental teenagers who can crack the planet in half on a whim lol.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Chiming in to show my appreciation for Dr. Irons.

While I really enjoy Conner, I think Steel was the best character we got out of Death of Superman and I really loved reading about him in the Superman books and during 52. John Henry Irons is easily on the short list for people who define Metropolis. He's absolutely awesome and the books are poorer for his absence.

Seriously. Where is he? Does DC not want to pay his creators or something? Bibbo's missing too, come to think of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Much love for Steel, one of the greatest heroes to come out of the 90's from any publisher! That's right! I said it, I'll put Steel up against virtually anyone from the Image era explosion and expect my man Dr. Irons to come out on top most of the time.

I still wonder why and how he fell by the wayside. I mean, if this were Marvel he'd have two books and be leading an Avengers squad by now.
    I loved John Henry Irons. I think what ruined him was three-fold over a period of about 15 years.

A) Shaq.

The STEEL movie in 1997 (after being introduced only in 1993) was not only "much too much, much too soon" for a supporting character, it didn't even mention Superman, much less feature him. Also the movie sucked. Or so I'm told, can't bring myself to watch it.

B) Poor man's Iron Man

And Milestone's Hardware. And Ted Kord's Blue Beetle. And Cyborg.

As a supporting character beholden to a true alpha like Supes, John Henry could never be the best at anything. And if you're not going to be the best, then your writers better give you a hell of a personality to compensate.

They didn't.

C) Lost his spot as the token human on the Superfam ... to Lois Lane.

Look, John Henry was never Clark's BFF. Met him way too late in life. But once Lois was donning the Hellbat and fighting on Apokolips as the badass human among gods, sorry Johnny.

And hitching his wagon to Lana's star turned out to be a bad move.

I feel bad. So much potential wasted.

Extraordinary Member

That is a relationship that should be revisited.

John has a soft spot for gingers.

Guy has a soft spot for bros named John.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

You learn something new everyday.