Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Xomic Book Nods ay the Oscar Including Best Picture for Joker!

Edit--oops mispelled comic on the title!

Marvel or dc fans aside it's great to see comic book films get a best picture nod. Joker is the big winner and got nods for best picture, director and actor among others.

Avengers get best fx nod. Not comic book but star wars gets three nods.

Shame anime films are still treated like crap (they pass on anime films that would get best picture nods if they were American live action films but they are anime so they snub their noses at them!)

But good job to joker and avengers for the nods!.

Joker got 11 nods! Avengers got 1. Poor spidey got left out!

Full list.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...inations-2020/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-13-2020 at 07:26 AM.

Well don't hold your breath since comicbookmovie is whining endgame missed out on best picture.
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/joker...ations-a172664

Anyway congrats to Joker. all the media trolls out there who tried to derail the movie and their useless rt scores and superficial reviews We got the last laugh.

this is Logan all over again 2017 when logan was nomanted for screen play but only this time the happiness is 4x multiplied since joker got picture, directing, screenplay and acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Anyway congrats to Joker. all the media trolls out there who tried to derail the movie and their useless rt scores and superficial reviews We got the last laugh.
    Truly a victory for mediocre Taxi Driver knock-offs embarrassed to be considered comic book movies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Truly a victory for mediocre Taxi Driver knock-offs embarrassed to be considered comic book movies.
    It’s still a better nom than Black Panther

Incredible Member

Well don't hold your breath since comicbookmovie is whining endgame missed out on best picture.
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/joker...ations-a172664

this is Logan all over again 2017 when logan was nomanted for screen play but only this time the happiness is 4x multiplied since joker got picture, directing, screenplay and acting.
    I really don't get why people are going to whine about it. Endgame was not a good quality film on it's own. There have been better cbm. Endgame was an okay ending to a massive successful film franchise but the film itself was riddled with plot holes and sacrificed cohesive storytelling for nostalgia and cool factor. It's one thing to like Endgame and to acknowledge its successes but it's another to put it in the ring as a quality in depth work of cinematic art. If there was a Blockbuster Best Picture category it would take the award without question. Additionally, there wasn't any groundbreaking performances either. RDJ is an amazing actor but he's had better films that showcased his abilities and Endgame didn't.

Here's the BP list:

Ford V Ferrari
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story
    Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood
    Parasite

Jojo Rabbit and Marriage Story are not in competition I think. Ever since those films were actually released to the public the reception for them has decreased. If we are being honest the Irishman and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood are the ones really battling for the award, however I wouldn't be surprised if 1917 grabbed the win in a surprise move. If Joker were to get it then it's because of politics and the pressure from the public to acknowledge CBM as legitimate cinematic achievements.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 01-13-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I really don't get why people are going to whine about it. Endgame was not a good quality film on it's own. There have been better cbm. Endgame was an okay ending to a massive successful film franchise but the film itself was riddled with plot holes and sacrificed cohesive storytelling for nostalgia and cool factor. It's one thing to like Endgame and to acknowledge its successes but it's another to put it in the ring as a quality in depth work of cinematic art. If there was a Blockbuster Best Picture category it would take the award without question. Additionally, there wasn't any groundbreaking performances either. RDJ is an amazing actor but he's had better films that showcased his abilities and Endgame didn't.
    Because our media has a MCU bias. they wanted to ruin Joker, I still hope WB sues yahoo for libel and slander by blaming the movie for some ransom massacre in 2019. that article on yahoo still makes me more angry than seeing joker getting best picture oscars.

Let's now laugh at Joker's 69% rt score. LMAO. you know because that shows captain marvel was more worthy of oscars. lol
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-13-2020 at 07:59 AM.

Because our media has a MCU bias. they wanted to ruin Joker, I still hope WB sues yahoo for libel and slander by blaming the movie for some ransom massacre in 2019. that article on yahoo still makes me more angry than seeing joker getting best picture oscars.

Let's now laugh at Joker's 69% rt score. LMAO. you know because that shows captain marvel was more worthy of oscars. lol
    All the RT score means is how many critics like or don't like a movie. Has nothing to do with the quality of the movie. At best RT is a guide to if a lot of other people like the movie, you will too. If it is a low score, you might not like it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    All the RT score means is how many critics like or don't like a movie. Has nothing to do with the quality of the movie. At best RT is a guide to if a lot of other people like the movie, you will too. If it is a low score, you might not like it either.
    I have said that already that rt is not a measurement for quality. every single time some one tried to use rt , I always told them to look past that and talk about the screen play, editing or cinematography of the film, they couldn't.

Let just all take time to think that Joker is a legit best picture nominated film and it is barely rated fresh, it is not even rated fresh by top critics.

Astonishing Member

I have said that already that rt is not a measurement for quality. every single time some one tried to use rt , I always told them to look past that and talk about the screen play, editing or cinematography of the film, they couldn't.

Let just all take time to think that Joker is a legit best picture nominated film and it is barely rated fresh, it is not even rated fresh by top critics.
    As a comic book movie fan, I am excited Joker got an Oscar nomination! (I also would have given one to Endgame--it changed cinema/movies forever and that should have been acknowledged)

As a comic book movie fan, I'm also giving a big "WTF" to Joker being nominated for best adapted screen play. Adapted off of what?!?!?! The character in the movie is nothing like the Joker in comic books or in previous movie incarnations, other than having the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    As a comic book movie fan, I'm also giving a big "WTF" to Joker being nominated for best adapted screen play. Adapted off of what?!?!?! The character in the movie is nothing like the Joker in comic books or in previous movie incarnations, other than having the same name.
    Adapted from Taxi Driver and the King of Comedy...

But no, Adapted simply is refers to a work that pulls from other sources either in whole or in part. Since the film is credited as "Based on Characters from DC Comics," it has to count as Adapted. Even if the story is original, the characters are not.

Anyways, as for my thoughts. Out of all the best picture noms that I've seen (just missing Ford V. Ferrari, Little Women and 1917), it's easily my least favorite, but it's not completely out of place in the list of nominees. Joaquin Phoenix is deserving of the acting award (though, I'm sad it will mean Adam Driver misses out on one for a great job) and I think it's a shoe in for best score.

Ultimate Member

Scarlett Johansson also got nominated twice. One for Best Actress and one for Beat Supporting Actress. Margot Robbie got a BSA nod as well.

I think you might want to consider cutting down on your sugar intake.

Check your memory; I at least tried to.

Why? That's just how the dice rolled.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Some Comics fans: Awards are shams don't mean anything, The media and companies control things, Awards don't mean towards quality

The Very same comic fans when the movie they like is the running: This is a great thing this means something, I am not going to downplay the awards now because it is a movie I like

Anyways props to Joker getting all those awards nominations. If it doesn't get the best actor award that is going to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Some Comics fans: Awards are shams don't mean anything, The media and companies control things, Awards don't mean towards quality

The Very same comic fans when the movie they like is the running: This is a great thing this means something, I am not going to downplay the awards now because it is a movie I like
    This is not the case. some and if not most comic fans supported movies they felt was artistically deserving and if they meet the oscar criteria we know. before Joker, we were very supportive of Logan, Spiderverse and the Dark Knight or heck even Deadpool, when Deadpool was nominated for PGA and Golden Globes.

Most of us don't support formulaic manufactured derivate movie for oscars. those are when we think they are not deserving

there are measurement for some movies to get nominated and not all comic films meet that measurement based on post Oscar nominees,. so when they get nominated for political reason only or the companies is so powerful they can even try and create a bizarre category called Best popular category, the awards don't mean anything.For joker it does, because the art speaks for itself.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-13-2020 at 11:21 PM.

This is not the case. some and if not most comic fans supported movies they felt was artistically deserving and if they meet the oscar criteria we know. before Joker, we were very supportive of Logan, Spiderverse and the Dark Knight or heck even Deadpool, when Deadpool was nominated for PGA and Golden Globes.
    You know I literally said this
    But go ahead keep trying to justify why your favorites are legit and what you don't like didn't met the imaginary merit measurement whatever makes you feel happy.