Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Saw Knives Out recently and it’s ten times the film Joker is. I guess Joker is basking in that whole films-about-Male-violence-are-important-films trope. Joaquin is always vfm though.
    Knives out and jojo rabbit for me were by far the best films of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Saw Knives Out recently and it’s ten times the film Joker is. I guess Joker is basking in that whole films-about-Male-violence-are-important-films trope. Joaquin is always vfm though.
    Phoenix does seem to be universally praised, irregardless of what one otherwise thinks of the film. I have noticed a reasonably consistent theme from Joker's critics that they found the movie to be a hollow one.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Knives out and jojo rabbit for me were by far the best films of the year.
    Need to see that latter one myself.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Phoenix does seem to be universally praised, irregardless of what one otherwise thinks of the film. I have noticed a reasonably consistent theme from Joker's critics that they found the movie to be a hollow one.

Sam Rockewell plays a obviously gay Nazi Commander but it's never really mentioned. But he steals every scene hes in. And both the young actor are good but its Rockwell and ScarJo who steal the show for me. Well and Waititi to bring some humor in as Hitler now and then

DC waited for the right movie to get their Academy Awards nominations with Joker although The Dark Knight and Wonder Woman were better films.

Ultimate Member

Have you seen the Lighthouse?

It's a crazy, powerful movie. Not sure how it got overlooked.

Same with Uncut Gems, I don't think I've seen a movie built around tension like that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Have you seen the Lighthouse?

It's a crazy, powerful movie. Not sure how it got overlooked.

Same with Uncut Gems, I don't think I've seen a movie built around tension like that.
    I’ve heard multiple people say it dragged and was boring. It was a critical darling though

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I’ve heard multiple people say it dragged and was boring. It was a critical darling though
    The Lighthouse or Uncut Gems?

The Lighthouse could be very..."artsy" at some points but the movie definitely didn't drag. And it definitely wasn't boring. The movie throws all sort of "lovecraftian" madness fairly early into it.

Uncut Gems on the other hand was a very, very, very fast paced film. Once the movie starts, there's no breathing room.

The Lighthouse or Uncut Gems?

The Lighthouse could be very..."artsy" at some points but the movie definitely didn't drag. And it definitely wasn't boring. The movie throws all sort of "lovecraftian" madness fairly early into it.

Uncut Gems on the other hand was a very, very, very fast paced film. Once the movie starts, there's no breathing room.
    I'm not mad those movies didnt get a Nom but I do think Adam Sandler for best actor and william defoe for best supporting were snubbed for sure. I love Joe Pesci hope he wins but he didnt do much in that film. Defoe and Jamie Foxx are more deserving then him and Pacino imo. Sandler shoulda came second to Only pheonix in votes.

Ultimate Member

I'm not mad those movies didnt get a Nom but I do think Adam Sandler for best actor and william defoe for best supporting were snubbed for sure. I love Joe Pesci hope he wins but he didnt do much in that film. Defoe and Jamie Foxx are more deserving then him and Pacino imo. Sandler shoulda came second to Only pheonix in votes.
    Agreed.

Phoenix definitely deserves that Oscar but Sandler was fantastic in Gems. Same with Eddie Murphy in Dolemite.

But it won't be an Oscar season if they didn't ignore major movies. Ultimately, they honor movies that get the best and most thorough awards campaign (like Joker).

Agreed.

Phoenix definitely deserves that Oscar but Sandler was fantastic in Gems. Same with Eddie Murphy in Dolemite.

But it won't be an Oscar season if they didn't ignore major movies. Ultimately, they honor movies that get the best and most thorough awards campaign (like Joker).
    Yea makes sense. And yea Murphy was great too but iono if I'd remove anyone for him in the Oscar's. While I felt Sandler performance was 2nd only to Phoenix. They both carried a movie on they're shoulders while other people nominated had great co stars who are also nominated. I'm guessing the business and campaigning aspect is why A24 movies dont seem to get much love from the Oscars. Cant think of they're names off the top of my head but the brothers who directed Goodtime and Uncut Gems deserves some recognition. While Sandler carried the movie acting wise I feel like Uncut gems was a better directed movie then Joker. I mean its a unique experience they captured with the tone and energy of that film. It's like a character in of itself. Plus I have a small gripe with one scene from Joker. Still really enjoyed the movie but it was a really good scene and the director ruined it for me. Without spoiling anything someone yelling at Arthur and you come to this realization about what's actually been happening. Instead of keeping it subtle and great like that. They then decide people are too stupid so we gotta spell it out for them and do a flashback explaining everything. I thought that scene was handled so great, and then it does the flashback and I got irked. It wasnt neccessary and was only included becuase they were clearly worried that some dumber people might not get what's going on. If the scene wasnt handled so perfectly prior to the flashback i dont think i would care as much. So again small gripe it's not bad but stepped on something much better imo.

Good to be back on cbr, I had to take some time off to deal with some sad issues that went on in my family this past two weeks.

The movie is about Cultural identity and African Americans lack of it but somehow you cant find anything to break down in the characters. You havent had one genuine critique except that they shoulda established a relationship and had them be friends first. That demonstrates that the entire point of the movie goes way over your head. Oh well i tried
    This feel like an insertion of the movie. the cultural identity theme is not given up to 10 minutes screen time. its the same error that made with Civil War. another movie, mcu wanted to get oscars.

The MCU heroes are flawed just like the comics, the only things not grounded is the world they live in.
    No.
    I think what MCU characters has become is less flawed version of their comics counterparts because Disney wants kids to see superhero as good role models. what this does sadly is limit the content of telling more Oscar friendly stories because the characters become one dimensional, almost sugary.

And it's far from grounded in the comics. Wolverines wears a bright yellow and blue suite and the world is colofurll and full of crazy looking ****. Thor Ragnarok was the closes was have got to Jack Kirbys art brought to life. You want everything to stay true to the source material but you cherry pick stuff and ignore the vast majority . Most the heroes are in New York and not all given they're own made up city becuase Stan Lee built Marvel on interconnectedness and crossovers.
    The comics format are not movies, talk less of live adaption movies. they are two different formats, not everything that looks good in comics translates well on screen. it is up to the director, costume designers to decide what works best on screen that looks less ridiculous.

I don't need to see wolverine wear bright yellow costumes in a live action film, however I do think it is important they get his character and story growth right, that is what gets you Oscar nominations not if he puts on yellow costumes.
    Most the heroes are in New York and not all given they're own made up city becuase Stan Lee built Marvel on interconnectedness and crossovers.
    No

interconnectivity was not a primary priority for Stan lee. if this was the case, marvel would never have sold of spiderman, xmen, Hulk and F4 separately.

Speaking of interconnectivity, May I remind you that one of the strongest part of spiderverse was it being a pure spiderman movie with no mention of any other marvel IPs. that movie not just won the oscar for best animated movie but it was more deserving of a best picture nomination than black panther. like Up, Beauty and the beast, it should have been nominated for best picture.

Also, if you look at the one marvel movie worthy enough for a Best picture nomination in recent years. Logan. the director said, fans can see the film as not having any connection to the other past xmen movies. so the interconnectivity concept is flawed.

Also, the interconnectivity movies stands the least chance to get oscars since the academy can easily dismiss it as cooperate baked.
    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Ehhhh. If we are being real, I found Endgame too bloated to be resonate on any character. In the grand scheme of the MCU, if you followed it from the beginning, I could see how you would tie all those decade long feelings about Tony Stark back and find it that way. But in that film, it was just too big and relied on too much from prior films. In the end it was time travel hijinks and then a big dumb battle ending that had a main character sacraficing themselves. It would be different it was Tony centric and it was about some sort of reckoning for him. But they just never gave it enough behind Tony occassionally mentioning his need to preserve his family. Also not for nothing, even if you take it as a two parter with Infinity Wars. Also in the context of the MCU, we already saw Tony willing to be selfless for the world in the first Avengers. As far as I'm concerned the reason he survived there and died here had more to do with the actors willingness to stay in the role than an actual narratively driven initiative.
    Endgame is an action driven story flick with too much modern High fantasy , Oscars only see this stuff as good for visual effects. not even cinematography since the movie hardly looks grounded or has any realistic cinema shot . it may be unfair to those who love this type of films but that is how the oscars thinks
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-27-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Many MCU fans will like anything in the MCU, so saying MCU fans liked Endgame isn't really much of a high bar. Star Wars and Game of Thrones fans honestly have higher standards regarding their franchises too.
    Yes, Other fandoms like star wars and GOT do have higher standards. Marvel fans from the early 2000s have higher standard too. it hurts that Disney set the standard low for their story because their content is watered down to that of non MCU marvel , star wars OT or Game of thrones.

Rise of Skywalker got more nominations than Endgame. the Disney star wars have higher film quality to the MCU because to a big extent Lucasfilms still kept some of the old film making approach used in the star wars original trilogy for Episode 7-9. its their story and characters that sucks with this new star wars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Return of the King won a bunch of awards even though it is generally considered to be the worst of the LOTR trilogy. It was representative of the whole project and not the individual movie.

The problem is, the LotR trilogy were all worked on by the same people, more or less. Which isn't true for the MCU. With exception to actor nominations, you can't really give an award out to the creative people involved in the project because they lean so heavily on other peoples work. Like the costumes, didn't at least some (if not most) of them appear in different movies before Infinty War/Endgame?
    Return of the king was definitely the weakest but the trilogy built up nicely to earn the 11 oscars.

I remember the scene in return of the king when King Theodan dies and no one ever brings it up not even Gandalf or Emir or Ewoyn and Faramir are now a couple in the end when there was no build up to it. Return of the king really had random story cuts, it only makes sense when you watch the extended version , we see faramir meeting Ewoyn and so on.

Return of the king also had the most quashed plot since it had mini battles here and there but the movie was saved by the strength of Toliken's lore adapted well on film, and epic medieval fantasy tale with great VFX, Good cinematography, Good acting, okay directing and the overall body of work from the fellowship of the rings. still the weakest one of the 3 films.The Two Towers should have won for best picture over Chicago as I found Chicago to be a boring musical although the actors were great especially Queen Latifa and Zeta Jones who won the Oscar for best supporting actress.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-28-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Yes, Other fandoms like star wars and GOT do have higher standards. Marvel fans from the early 2000s have higher standard too. it hurts that Disney set the standard low for their story because their content is watered down to that of non MCU marvel , star wars OT or Game of thrones.
    Can't speak r.e. Game of Thrones fans, but I'm in Star Wars fandom circles and believe you me, there are no "higher standards." The Star Wars fandom is one of the most toxic and entitled ones out there, and that gets easily mistaken for "standards."

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Rise of Skywalker got more nominations than Endgame. the Disney star wars have higher film quality to the MCU because to a big extent Lucasfilms still kept some of the old film making approach used in the star wars original trilogy for Episode 7-9. its their story and characters that sucks with this new star wars.
    And yet Endgame was the better executed film.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Can't speak r.e. Game of Thrones fans, but I'm in Star Wars fandom circles and believe you me, there are no "higher standards." The Star Wars fandom is one of the most toxic and entitled ones out there, and that gets easily mistaken for "standards."

Some people are looking anything to justify their point of view. The point was simple Endgame stuck the landing,GoT and Star Wars didn't it is not because of higher standards but simple closing episodes and movies did things badly. Star Wars killed off main characters before and never gave fans satisfying fan service, GoT rushed to ending and negated the biggest trait of maybe the most popular character those things have nothing to do with "fan standards".

Simply put GoT and Star Wars have unsatisfying ending for the series biggest stars in Luke Skywalker and Daenerys Targaryen it is easy to understand why they didn't stick the landing. Endgame had satisfying end for the biggest character Iron Man and most other characters and worthwhile battle with the biggest villains where everybody except Hulk got a good moment,They paid off a ton of past movies with the time travel stuff. They fulfilled having a good ending for current movie and good ending for series of films, Star Wars had good ending but didn't have good ending for the series of films,Game of thrones actually had good ending tying up stuff in the series but didn't have a good ending actual ending for final plot. Big franchises have to do both things and era where pop culture makes these things huge it is hard to stick the ending stuff like Endgame and Watchmen ending and fans are happy isn't the norm.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Some people are looking anything to justify their point of view. The point was simple Endgame stuck the landing,GoT and Star Wars didn't it is not because of higher standards but simple closing episodes and movies did things badly. Star Wars killed off main characters before and never gave fans satisfying fan service, GoT rushed to ending and negated the biggest trait of maybe the most popular character those things have nothing to do with "fan standards".

Simply put GoT and Star Wars have unsatisfying ending for the series biggest stars in Luke Skywalker and Daenerys Targaryen it is easy to understand why they didn't stick the landing. Endgame had satisfying end for the biggest character Iron Man and most other characters and worthwhile battle with the biggest villains where everybody except Hulk got a good moment,They paid off a ton of past movies with the time travel stuff. They fulfilled having a good ending for current movie and good ending for series of films, Star Wars had good ending but didn't have good ending for the series of films,Game of thrones actually had good ending tying up stuff in the series but didn't have a good ending actual ending for final plot. Big franchises have to do both things and era where pop culture makes these things huge it is hard to stick the ending stuff like Endgame and Watchmen ending and fans are happy isn't the norm.
    I might get flak for this but I didn't feel the GoT ending is as bad as folks make it seem online.

It was severely rushed but it wasn't a "bad" ending IMO. Star Wars didn't even have a bad ending either, I think the storyline that was told in between the saga led to it ending the way it did.