Default Tim's parents - archaeology v. business - when did happen, and do you care?

I apologize if my memory is playing tricks on me. As I recall, when first introduced, Tim mentioned his father traveling for work (owning a medical supply business) and mother traveling with him. Though on the plane it looked like she worked the business, too, rather than just traveling with to me. In any event, I only recall that occupation at that time. Then later, there the archaeology background. Was that there initially? I know I saw it fairly early in Dixon run of Robin, but am not sure of it's initial presence. If not, when was that element introduced?

And do you have a preference or care at all what profession the Jack and Janet had?

Astonishing Member

Jack and Janet were pretty deeply non-characters, except being traumatized constantly to act as Tim's baptism into the existential horror of being friends with Batman. Or being used to leverage guilt at Tim for what, sneaking out after dark?

I feel bad for them. I wish they were just a nice suburban couple who get to be alive and have no idea their son is the Third Robin. No Voodoo bad men. No razorblade boomerangs. Nothing stupid.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Jack and Janet were pretty non-character, except being traumatized constantly to act as Tim's baptism into the existential horror of being friends with Batman.
    I'd agree about Janet, but not Jack. The first impression I had of them (not including flashback, which I can't recall if I read first or later) was to be really sorry for the poor employee with them who had to put up with their hostility towards each other. Jack and Tim's relationship got a lot of play in Dixon's Robin, though. The resentment Tim had for his absence. The way both wanted to rebuild the relationship. And yes, the problems that were heavily caused because Tim was Robin and broke curfew or disappeared for days (even weeks on one occasion?) at a time with either no explanation or a very poor one. There's one point where Jack is like "why would I even bother asking - you'd just lie" and I'm thinking "well, he's not wrong."

I feel bad for them. I wish they were just a nice suburban couple who get to be alive and have no idea their son is the Third Robin.
    I actually think they could have worked well as an illustration of two people who needed to get a divorce. Sell the business if you can't work together (and they couldn't) because those are two people who (to me) simply could not be civil to each other any more and I like the idea that ending the marriage could have at least saved each of their relationships with Tim. They'd send post cards saying they were having a ball when they very much weren't. I thought of it as successful business and a failing marriage. I actually kinda vaguely wondered if later on they stayed away more because they didn't want Tim to see fighting all the time (in addition to business concerns). But we know they fought all the time when home, too. It wasn't always that way, but that's how it ended up.

Anyway, the positive side of divorce, as it were, would not be bad to see.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I know I saw it fairly early in Dixon run of Robin, but am not sure of it's initial presence. If not, when was that element introduced?
    To my knowledge it was first mentioned in the Issue #11 of Tim's Robin ongoing series.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    To my knowledge it was first mentioned in the Issue #11 of Tim's Robin ongoing series.
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.