Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    we wouldn't be in a forum if wasn't for some emotional involvement about these characters.

Shooter was right on it, writers have to make us care for fictional characters

"BS drama"? Emma helped Jean get raped and then used Scott to hurt her. That isn't BS drama, that is serious stuff and very . And it happened over beers, freaking disrespectiful

I wouldn't bring anything, Jean would put how much Emma hurt her and she never felt bad about doing that, stating that she will respect her but she will never be friends with her.
    Right I think I understand where you're coming from but it sounds like you're projecting your own feelings onto the character granted I'm far from an expert on Jean and Emma and their history with each other but has Jean ever expressed these feelings towards Emma and if so under what context? To me the biggest thing Jean had a problem with concerning Emma was the affair which shr effectively gave her blessings for as the White Phoenix. Barring Ghost Jeans comments the writers of her post-resurrection have written Gene as a much more forgiving person and someone who has risen above that portion of her life.

That wasn't my question though I understand that you believe that Jean and Emma Frost be mortal enemies. However given their current relationship under Hickman's pen and your feelings about things happening off panel how would you personally have resolved their issues so that you could at least shared a cordial beer with each other?

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    we wouldn't be in a forum if wasn't for some emotional involvement about these characters.

Shooter was right on it, writers have to make us care for fictional characters
    That's crap. Some of us are here because we want to discuss the ideas, craft, and themes of the art.

And Shooter was the one who said, "We can trick the little F*&*^S" with regard to the audience of the original Secret Wars so I'm not sure he's the best person to be quoting from for your points.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    That's crap. Some of us are here because we want to discuss the ideas, craft, and themes of the art.

And Shooter was the one who said, "We can trick the little F*&*^S" with regard to the audience of the original Secret Wars so I'm not sure he's the best person to be quoting from for your points.
    And this is also making the assumption that's it's impossible to care about the characters how they're currently being written. Which just isn't true because honestly this is the most fun I've had reading Charles Xavier and Magneto since Mike Carey's run on Legacy. Same goes for Scott, Emma, Jean, Forge, Psylocke, Kitty, Storm, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    And this is also making the assumption that's it's impossible to care about the characters how they're currently being written. Which just isn't true because honestly this is the most fun I've had reading Charles Xavier and Magneto since Mike Carey's run on Legacy. Same goes for Scott, Emma, Jean, Forge, Psylocke, Kitty, Storm, etc.
    Indeed. I'm loving it too, partly because I don't like the melodramatic soap-opera approach to characterization.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Being emotionally invested in these characters does not mean one has to stay dismally mired in the past. In fact, it may be argued that, by choosing to be so trapped in the past without the ability to move forward, (while the characters have clearly done so) one is only invested in the drama and not the character herself.
    But...to each heir own and what brings them joy...although it's clear very little joy is being experienced.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-18-2020 at 06:14 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Right I think I understand where you're coming from but it sounds like you're projecting your own feelings onto the character granted I'm far from an expert on Jean and Emma and their history with each other but has Jean ever expressed these feelings towards Emma and if so under what context? To me the biggest thing Jean had a problem with concerning Emma was the affair which shr effectively gave her blessings for as the White Phoenix. Barring Ghost Jeans comments the writers of her post-resurrection have written Gene as a much more forgiving person and someone who has risen above that portion of her life.

That wasn't my question though I understand that you believe that Jean and Emma Frost be mortal enemies. However given their current relationship under Hickman's pen and your feelings about things happening off panel how would you personally have resolved their issues so that you could at least shared a cordial beer with each other?
    When Jean saw Chrtian Frost on Iceman birthday's part, she was agressive with him because of Emma.
    So this isn't my opinion contaminating what I think Jean should do, she never really liked Emma for starters
    White phoenix wasn't this Jean, so this isn't a good argument to use

I'm not seeing Jean that forgiving, specially with cronic abusers like Sabretooth

I also didn't said anything about being mortal enemies. Not liking each other is very different from being mortal enemies, there is a big abyss between it.

I just think that people wanting the victim forgive the abuser is a very bad take, but all people do it is reduce it as being about Scott.