Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I always thought that Apocalypse's energy blast was Celestial technology, not his powers.
    Rogue absorbed a lot of energy from the gateway between Krakoa and Otherworld before absorbing Big A

Also Evan does laser eyes sometimes and he's as close to a non-Celestial tech Apocalypse as you'll get

Looking forward to the apocarogue and Gambit love making.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Looking forward to the apocarogue and Gambit love making.
    My understanding is the celestial tech changed him...that hew was mucking with genetics 3k years ago. He was not great at it though until he recruited sinister.

As for his power list it is pretty much everything at this point.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    I'm thrilled. The last thing I want is more dwelling on Jean's done to death past. Who cares, she died. Who hasnt?
    Characters are their past. That is where they are coming, ignoring it doesn't make them better

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Characters are their past. That is where they are coming, ignoring it doesn't make them better
    No one is ignoring it. But they're also not wasting time and dwelling on it. They have a very much exciting and interesting story to tell and they're telling it mean while you're busy being hung up over the fact that they've decided not to make sense of the last few years of convoluted and down right messy characterizations and plots in order for them to fit neatly into the HoX intro.

It's best to just think of this as a soft reboot because that's exactly what it is. They've already referenced past in DoX so we know it's happened we don't need more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    No one is ignoring it. But they're also not wasting time and dwelling on it. They have a very much exciting and interesting story to tell and they're telling it mean while you're busy being hung up over the fact that they've decided not to make sense of the last few years of convoluted and down right messy characterizations and plots in order for them to fit neatly into the HoX intro.

It's best to just think of this as a soft reboot because that's exactly what it is. They've already referenced past in DoX so we know it's happened we don't need more than that.
    It's not a reboot, not even a reset. It's a freaking mess

They didn't even thought about the implications of it. So this is all I need to know how much they think about jean's character: Zero. Nada.
    I want to see character development not a character got over it off panel

It's not a reboot, not even a reset. It's a freaking mess

They didn't even thought about the implications of it. So this is all I need to know how much they think about jean's character: Zero. Nada.
    I want to see character development not a character got over it off panel
    They did think about Jean’s character, that’s why they made that decision. There needs to be a giant leap forward, not little hops with a side of “ooh but first let’s tell you the story about this and that”

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    They did think about Jean’s character, that’s why they made that decision. There needs to be a giant leap forward, not little hops with a side of “ooh but first let’s tell you the story about this and that”
    Yeah, what some people see as proper "character development" some of us see as the same old melodrama that we really wish people could get beyond.

The people I know who I really admire are the people who have transcended the traumas of their past, not continue to let it define them and keep them in repeating loops in their lives. I'm really happy the X-Men are moving into new areas and not stuck in their oh-so-sad pasts.

And, yeah, it is a soft reboot and should be seen as such.

Does anyone have any idea which poster White was referencing in his comments about the cover to X-Men #9?

"I definitely don’t want to give away too much. But I will mention that that cover was inspired by a specific movie poster. It’s not a one-to-one homage, but it was directly inspired by it, and I have not seen anyone talking about that if they noticed. Maybe I just missed it."

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Does anyone have any idea which poster White was referencing in his comments about the cover to X-Men #9?

"I definitely don’t want to give away too much. But I will mention that that cover was inspired by a specific movie poster. It’s not a one-to-one homage, but it was directly inspired by it, and I have not seen anyone talking about that if they noticed. Maybe I just missed it."

Yeah, what some people see as proper "character development" some of us see as the same old melodrama that we really wish people could get beyond.

The people I know who I really admire are the people who have transcended the traumas of their past, not continue to let it define them and keep them in repeating loops in their lives. I'm really happy the X-Men are moving into new areas and not stuck in their oh-so-sad pasts.

And, yeah, it is a soft reboot and should be seen as such.
    Yup. We don’t have to be worried at what leftover X-Men are still mad about Schism or who’s salty over IvX or love rectangle drama or who hates Cyclops and Emma this week. None of that matters because the current era is about having mutants moving forward together. Past stories still matter but in the great scheme of what’s currently happening, it’s been decided that rising above it all is a necessary step.

Yup. We don’t have to be worried at what leftover X-Men are still mad about Schism or who’s salty over IvX or love rectangle drama or who hates Cyclops and Emma this week. None of that matters because the current era is about having mutants moving forward together. Past stories still matter but in the great scheme of what’s currently happening, it’s been decided that rising above it all is a necessary step.
    Thanks for the Cannonball Run II connection (a fun film... not as good as the first but now I'm really looking forward to X-Men #9)!

I agree about moving forward and rising above. When the traumas and dramas of the past are endlessly regurgitated it starts to feel like that person in their early 20s who just can't let go of how hard their teenage years were and keeps bringing it up ad nauseum.

I'm very grateful that while we were all sleeping the world changed. Much happier about where the characters and the franchise is now.

Astonishing Member

Exactly say melodrama that made these characters famous or the same ones that are holding these characters back from any sort of forward momentum.

I recognized as a portion of the fandom that probably wants some closer to some of those storylines but honestly I'd rather the writers not go down that rabbit hole. This way is preferable.

Oh... and the Cannonball Run thing made me think... how cool would it be for an issue to do a "Smokey and the Bandit" thing with Scott, Logan, and Jean loosely in the Burt Reynolds, Jerry Reed, and Sally Fields rolls being chased by some new Jackie Gleason-esque baddie.

Yes, I do have a soft spot for 70s carsploitation films. Why do you ask?

Astonishing Member

It's not a reboot, not even a reset. It's a freaking mess.
    Of course it's a soft reboot just because you don't like it doesn't change that fact. Hickman has effectively managed to untangle the X-Men from the continuity mess that they've been apart of the last few decades can collectively manage to push them forward. That's not to say that every single relationship and history has been forgotten (Storm still has a grudge against Emma, Gambit still hates Apoc, Psylocke has unresolved issues with Betsy).

But by and large they're not trying to dwell on the same melodramatic trappings of the past few decades and want to tell new and fresh stories with various characters.

"Jonathan and I have not really dug into the whys of this because… well, I think when he said it, I knew it was right and didn’t question why at all."

This doesn't look nothing like they care about the character. Character development is essential and for Jean it happens all off panel, very lame

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Of course it's a soft reboot just because you don't like it doesn't change that fact. Hickman has effectively managed to untangle the X-Men from the continuity mess that they've been apart of the last few decades can collectively manage to push them forward. That's not to say that every single relationship and history has been forgotten (Storm still has a grudge against Emma, Gambit still hates Apoc, Psylocke has unresolved issues with Betsy).

But by and large they're not trying to dwell on the same melodramatic trappings of the past few decades and want to tell new and fresh stories with various characters.
    It isn't a soft reboot. This is nothing like final crises or zero hour. It's a big retcon for some chaarcters and that is it. Much less this isn't a new52/flashpoint neither
    Everything we saw on books happened.

What fresh stories they are even telling with Jean? Seems like the only one who can dwell on drama and move forward is Scott
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-14-2020 at 10:12 AM.