Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES issue #3 Preview/(spoiler) discussion

https://www.newsarama.com/48583-robi...roes-3.html#s1

Thank you to MeGrimlock420 for originally posting this. I just figured we'd make it a thread on its own.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Ever since Ultimate Spider-Man I usually find myself really appreciating in some form or another how Bendis tackles kids/teen characters.

I genuinely love it that he's totally into them just flat-out screwing up or doing something dumb that they attempted very little forethought for.

Jon sneaks off to bring his best friend to the future to see how cool it is, and he flat-out makes up some fresh kid/teenage BS about how he went to get Damian because he's a detective. Lol that's pretty great. And kind of runs down a haphazard version of the speech Saturn Girl gave to him in issue one, but since he didn't listen to the orientation like he was supposed to, Damian passes out.

Also, didn't at all expect that 'the air is different' line to come back and be explored. It was really clever to gloss past that because Jon's part Kryptonian and can survive in the vacuum of space with no issue what so ever, so we wouldn't notice as the reader.

Geez, Dawnstar. If you love Jon so much why don’t you marry him?!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Geez, Dawnstar. If you love Jon so much why don’t you marry him?!
    Not again, why is it that discussion with jon has turned into shippingverse battleroyale?
    Finally, jon is starting to get his personality, quirkiness.. Etc back.The power rangers thing was cool,More of that. Bendis doesn't get damian's voice, at all. Their dynamic feels like wet towel compared to tomasi's.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

spoilers:
    Good issue. We did find out about a relationship, but it did not have to do with jon or saturn girl. Maybe I just missed something,but I didnt read anything that would make themnot be able to be a couple. Also I am curious what Mon-El's connection to Jon is..
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    spoilers:
    Good issue. We did find out about a relationship, but it did not have to do with jon or saturn girl. Maybe I just missed something,but I didnt read anything that would make themnot be able to be a couple. Also I am curious what Mon-El's connection to Jon is..
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    bendis might be suggesting jonximra might not happen cause either one of them will be in a relationship with dawnstar.it looks to me like jonxdawnstar.
    end of spoilers
    The issue as a supersons reunion lacked supersons. As a legion book it was fine. spoilers:
    Damian being foreshadowed to be the hitler like figure is intriguing. I hope jon averts that future
    end of spoilers the whole search by superman for bruce wayne's daughter to save bruce wayne's son might be connected to that in 5G.
    Damian was decent in this issue for the most part. Even made comments on how bad the security and rule of law in legionverse is
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-15-2020 at 04:51 AM.

spoilers:
    *Sigh* We're doing this again, huh? Another "Is Damian gonna be evil"? This isn't even a Bendis problem, it's a DC one. The poor kid's done more to prove and redeem himself than a lot of adult characters that were in his shoes. Just let him be a hero, dammit
    end of spoilers

Is Imra an idiot? spoilers:
    If Damian is a Hitler style despot in the future, they can't change it - they'd only erase their own future! And how do they know he didn't end up that way because she broke up the Super Sons... it might be that he only turns evil because Jon wasn't there to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Incidentally, the Imra in Doomsday Clock had also went back in time... and got dusted when history changed to the point that Clark forgot her.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    spoilers:
    *Sigh* We're doing this again, huh? Another "Is Damian gonna be evil"? This isn't even a Bendis problem, it's a DC one. The poor kid's done more to prove and redeem himself than a lot of adult characters that were in his shoes. Just let him be a hero, dammit
    end of spoilers
    I don't know it might be cool storyline. It's a naruto-esque.
    Damiannnnnn!!!
    Jonnnnn!!!
    Batarang!!Laser beams!!!! Soundeffects

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I mean didn't he have a private prison and turn the Teen Titans into his own little private military force? Every now and then he goes full despot. The only times he doesn't is when someone reins him in, usually a much more well-adjusted person than he is (Dick, Jon). In his introduction and even Tomasi's B&R, he still disobeyed his dad and killed people. Damien's overcoming his demons for long periods of time never comes from himself, it comes from people helping him.

He never fully grew out of it. He's always fighting his demons. I'm unsure DC will ever let it go because it's instant drama.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-15-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I mean didn't he have a private prison and turn the Teen Titans into his own little private military force? Every now and then he goes full despot. The only times he doesn't is when someone reins him in, usually a much more well-adjusted person than he is (Dick, Jon). In his introduction and even Tomasi's B&R, he still disobeyed his dad and killed people. Damien's overcoming his demons for long periods of time never comes from himself, it comes from people helping him.

He never fully grew out of it. He's always fighting his demons. I'm unsure DC will ever let it go because it's instant drama.
    I never thought this will connect damian issues. This seems interesting, now.i hope it gets developed. If jon is meant to stop it. It would be interesting and it will also tie back into supersons of tomorrow. Where jon went nuclear in a future where damian went rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

If I recall, his only kill in Tomasi's Batman and Robin was Morgan Ducard, which he was provoked into doing and happened relatively early in his time as Robin, while he was still learning to control those impulses. He waa remorseful for it too, which at that point was already a big step for him. It's not like he was regularly going out and committing murders every night. And after that incident, he was doing good...like...really good. You got the sense that he was desperately trying to change for the better. And by the end of that run and Gleason's miniseries, he had pretty much gotten to a point where he had no reason to question whether or not he was a hood. Damian's story was one of redemption from the start and he was doing a great job getting that redemption.

Then rebirth came along and his characterization became even more all over the place than it was before. Yeah he's a mean spirited brat, and he always will be, but I some cases he's been straight up back pedalling. It's one thing to always some semblance of a struggle with his baser insticts. But for someone who's been through what he has, he's been losing that struggle far too often. Teen Titans is an especially weird case where it feels like he's moving backwards in some spots but forward in others.

It doesn't help that there are SO many alternate/future versions of him that are either evil or a Punisher style murdering antihero. Injustice, Batman Beyond, Batman 666, This new future version shown in Legion. Hell, the main villain of this current TT Run is another evil version of himself. The kid can't catch a much needed break.

It feels like, no matter how hard he tries, Damian is almost always doomed to be the exact kind of person that he was actively trying to avoid becoming. As someone who's been following the character for most of his existence, it's not only really sad to see, but tiring as well. Like a default writers go to when they don't know what to do with him. It's like post-apocalyptic futures in X-Men comics. When it happens you can't help but throw up your hands and go "This again!?"
    Last edited by Blue22; 01-15-2020 at 08:03 AM.

If I recall, his only kill in Tomasi's Batman and Robin was Morgan Ducard, which he was provoked into doing and happened relatively early in his time as Robin, while he was still learning to control those impulses. He waa remorseful for it too, which at that point was already a big step for him. It's not like he was regularly going out and committing murders every night. And after that incident, he was doing good...like...really good. You got the sense that he was desperately trying to change for the better. And by the end of that run and Gleason's miniseries, he had pretty much gotten to a point where he had no reason to question whether or not he was a hood. Damian's story was one of redemption from the start and he was doing a great job getting that redemption.

Then rebirth came along and his characterization became even more all over the place than it was before. Yeah he's a mean spirited brat, and he always will be, but I some cases he's been straight up back pedalling. It's one thing to always some semblance of a struggle with his baser insticts. But for someone who's been through what he has, he's been losing that struggle far too often. Teen Titans is an especially weird case where it feels like he's moving backwards in some spots but forward in others.

It doesn't help that there are SO many alternate/future versions of him that are either evil or a Punisher style murdering antihero. Injustice, Batman Beyond, Batman 666, This new future version shown in Legion. Hell, the main villain of this current TT Run is another evil version of himself. The kid can't catch a much needed break.

It feels like, no matter how hard he tries, Damian is almost always doomed to be the exact kind of person that he was actively trying to avoid becoming. As someone who's been following the character for most of his existence, it's not only really sad to see, but tiring as well. Like a default writers go to when they don't know what to do with him. It's like post-apocalyptic futures in X-Men comics. When it happens you can't help but throw up your hands and go "This again!?"
    To be fair, i don't think he will. Even superman is a weapon that can destroy the world with many alternatie versions becoming dictators. So damian is in good company. He won't be turning evil anytime soon.

Well, this was by far the best issue yet. This issue had the most in it as far as character and foreshadowing goes.

Some of the voices for the characters are starting to come in. And this is a new take, so obviously they won't all sound like classic Legion. But so far I really like Cosmic Boy's earnestness and almost strict adherence to protocol. You can almost tell how nervous about being the leader he is. Ultra Boy is clearly a conflicted character being torn between family and duty. Dawnstar's fascinating because her people already have a deep reverence for the Earth's past, and she has built upon that with her love of superhero lore. I'd love to learn more about her because that's a pretty solid angle. A much clear picture of Jon's personality is being drawn here. He can be quite brash, and he can often leap before looking.

I also really dug the future slang and character specific vernacular in the issue.

The Damian foreshadowing is interesting, and so is what seems to be a hint at what looks to be Time Trapper. And the mysterious nature of why Jon was brought to the future just went from "oh cool lets pal around in the future" to "we NEED you to be here." I'm always a fan heroes with a plan. And I'm now very interested in Mon-El background and how that links with Jon.