Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 65
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    3,289

    Default

    It's the third issue. We aren't supposed to know the inside and out of those characters. If they were just brand new character, nobody would ask that of them already. But because they are the LoSH, a lot of people who read the previous series and loved them (and that's great) are actually wanting Bendis to write their Legion and thus ask for those characters to already be distinct in ways the older version grew into.

    It's simply not fair to ask that of the book, especially when it also has to actually propose a new and bold futuristic vision, instead of the 60's or 70's which have grown extremely stale nowadays.

  2. #17
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's the third issue. We aren't supposed to know the inside and out of those characters. If they were just brand new character, nobody would ask that of them already. But because they are the LoSH, a lot of people who read the previous series and loved them (and that's great) are actually wanting Bendis to write their Legion and thus ask for those characters to already be distinct in ways the older version grew into.

    It's simply not fair to ask that of the book, especially when it also has to actually propose a new and bold futuristic vision, instead of the 60's or 70's which have grown extremely stale nowadays.
    I disagree. Three issues in is plenty of time to at least tell us who they all are. I am telling you that I am not just looking for "my Legion" so it's dismissive to say that anyone who doesn't like the book is just stuck in the past. The characters I am most interested in are the new ones, yet I know nothing about them. Literally nothing aside from their name. I'm not asking to know "the inside and out." How about, "what the heck is a Gold Lantern?" What is Monster Boy's power? (has he even been mentioned by name in the book?) Who is the glowy skeleton person? I am capable of enjoying a slow burn and not being spoon-fed everything. My first issues of the Legion were the 5YG series and I thoroughly enjoyed that even though I knew nothing about the characters beforehand and there was clearly a lot going over my head. World-building is important, but they also have to sell people on this book and giving us interesting characters will accomplish that more than indulging them in how much they love this world they've built. The 5YG series did as much world-building, but they showed us the world by showing how the characters were affected by it, how they lived in it. So far, this feels like an extended Encyclopedia Galactica entry. I still am hoping to love this Legion so I will give it time, but it's just as unfair to ask people to shell out money month after month before showing us who these characters are.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-14-2020 at 07:32 AM.

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I dont think it's fair to dismiss criticism of the book as just people not getting their nostalgia fix. My main criticism is that Bendis has barely tried to show us who they are. The Legion has mostly been shown together talking over each other in a gaggle, with little differentiation between them. There are still characters we know literally nothing about.
    true true.... I mnot super familiar with the team and got totally lost when they were all speaking in the first 2 issues....hopefully itll start to thin out
    GrindrStone(D)

  4. #19
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    true true.... I mnot super familiar with the team and got totally lost when they were all speaking in the first 2 issues....hopefully itll start to thin out
    Yeah. The exact same thing happens to me when I read these piled up dialogues. It is really frustrating and it takes away my desire to continue reading.

    In my case, I was very receptive to this new Legion, but I find terrible the way Bendis writes this comic.
    Last edited by Konja7; 01-14-2020 at 09:12 AM.

  5. #20
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,091

    Default

    I can get behind that. There are too many characters on panel, with too many dialogue bubbles and too little distinction between people . But, this might be how jon feels. If Bendis was writing this from jon's perspective. He would feel crowded, naturally. I mean, he was stuck in a volcano for a long time. Then again, it might be bendis being bendis.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-14-2020 at 10:21 AM.

  6. #21
    Fantastic Member Spiderboy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Having not read the Legion (consistently) for six years after I had done so for forty simply because DC wasn't publishing a Legion ongoing, this "Nostalgia Fanatic" is absolutely loving the new Legion of Super-Heroes, despite the fact it isn't "my" Legion (as if that hasn't happened to Legion fans a few times already!) and I'm not a fan of Jon's age-up. I love the setup for the LSH, I'm enjoying the voices (including Jon's), and the ethnic diversity of the characters is a really wonderful change (even if some designs, like Timber Wolf's, still grate).

    Two issues in, the new LSH is already my favorite DC ongoing comic. And this preview looks like a great deal of fun. I'm looking forward to it.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I disagree. Three issues in is plenty of time to at least tell us who they all are. I am telling you that I am not just looking for "my Legion" so it's dismissive to say that anyone who doesn't like the book is just stuck in the past. The characters I am most interested in are the new ones, yet I know nothing about them. Literally nothing aside from their name. I'm not asking to know "the inside and out." How about, "what the heck is a Gold Lantern?" What is Monster Boy's power? (has he even been mentioned by name in the book?) Who is the glowy skeleton person?
    Exactly. I am *way* more interested in these new characters than the *fourth* freaking versions of Brainy and Imra and Jo. I mean, sure, Jo's one of my favorites from the classic Legion line-up, but I want to know about green glowing skeleton-person and Gold Lantern and Monster Boy and four-armed alien Dr. Fate, because they are actually new to me. (Just as I loved lots of 'new' characters over the years, like Chemical King, when he was new, or Tellus, or Sensor Girl, or Kid Quantum 2, or Dragonmage, or Theena, or Gazelle, or Dragonwing.) Less focus on characters I've seen a bunch of different versions of, over the years, since, frankly, as a Legion fan, I've probably already got a favorite 'Phantom Girl' or 'Shadow Lass' and could care about Bendis' takes on them, and more on characters that could be new favorites, please.

    Meanwhile it's all Exposition Lass from Imra, and now Dawny, and I'm kinda bored with full page adverts from these ladies telling me what a boner I should have for Jon Kent. Don't tell me to like him. Write him like a halfway decent and / or funny person, and that'll just happen. Nobody told me I had to like Dick Grayson or Conner Kent or Tim Drake, or even, kicking and screaming, eventually Jason Todd. It just happened because they were *interesting.*

  8. #23
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    He doesn't get jon's energy or personality right, yet he is constantly writing him. Damian just popsup once in a while. Be glad he isn't actively writing him. We have to expect this bendis attempt Supersons dynamic to be nothing compared to tomasi's.
    He does nothing but insult Damian on his social media and make snide comments out of nowhere writing him as a one off is bad enough.

    Bendis should just leave Damian and the Supersons alone. Fans don't want you writing or using them. There's plenty more DC characters to play with.

    Poor Tomasi. Looks like the Bull is still raging and destroying everything in sight.

    I'm not a LOS fan so I'm not pulling this title but as a Damian fan I'm temped to drop YJ a title I'm currently pulling just to stick it to Bendis

  9. #24
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    5,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm really liking this preview. I know that the Nostalgia Fanatics hate it, but I don't, and I hope this series will last a long time.
    Agreed. I'm also just happy there actually is a new Legion book to read. That it is good is a happy benefit, especially after the last few runs really left me cold. This at least feels youthful and fun like the Legion should feel.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  10. #25
    Spectacular Member Stick Figure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    158

    Default

    I had very little knowledge of the Legion going in but I’m loving the book so far. I don’t have preconceived ideas of how characters are supposed to be though. Everything is fresh for me. I’m really loving it. Then again, I’m a huge Bendis guy and would read the guy's grocery list! I probably look forward to Legion mire than any other title right now.

  11. #26
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    He does nothing but insult Damian on his social media and make snide comments out of nowhere writing him as a one off is bad enough.
    I'm not going to defend how Bendis writes Damian, since I don't like it.

    However, I think fans take his jokes too seriously, especially considering these were likely based on the fact that Tim was going to left Robin identity.

  12. #27
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    10,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    But this isn’t anything new. He’s been like this for ages over at Marvel. Heh.
    Reading Bendis comics is like watching Tarantino or Kevin Smith films.
    His character style permeates his work so much that either you like it because it's Bendis or you dislike it because it's Bendis.

    Their later works don't stand as well on their own. They're so drenched in their creator's voice and style, its hard to see them as their own things.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-14-2020 at 07:21 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

  13. #28
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's the third issue. We aren't supposed to know the inside and out of those characters. If they were just brand new character, nobody would ask that of them already. But because they are the LoSH, a lot of people who read the previous series and loved them (and that's great) are actually wanting Bendis to write their Legion and thus ask for those characters to already be distinct in ways the older version grew into.
    That's the thing: they aren't new characters.

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    3,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    That's the thing: they aren't new characters.
    And yet, they aren't the same old characters either. They deserve to be treated as new characters, because, in essence, that's what they are. They are not the dated Legion of Superheroes of yesterdecade, leaving in the vision of the future that peoples in the 60's or 70's envisioned. Their sensibilities must be different, their characters too.

    And older fans requiring Bendis to write them in the way they want to read them (ie, as they were in previous iterations of the team) are actively hurting the series and their own enjoyment of it. It's like the New 52 all over again. THose were -and those are - new characters, for all intent and purpose. If you don't like it, you've got troves of older material to read, but constantly bashing the series when its third issue will only be out later today is either dumb or a willing act of spite.

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    And yet, they aren't the same old characters either. They deserve to be treated as new characters, because, in essence, that's what they are. They are not the dated Legion of Superheroes of yesterdecade, leaving in the vision of the future that peoples in the 60's or 70's envisioned. Their sensibilities must be different, their characters too.

    And older fans requiring Bendis to write them in the way they want to read them (ie, as they were in previous iterations of the team) are actively hurting the series and their own enjoyment of it. It's like the New 52 all over again. THose were -and those are - new characters, for all intent and purpose. If you don't like it, you've got troves of older material to read, but constantly bashing the series when its third issue will only be out later today is either dumb or a willing act of spite.
    They should have had entirely new legacy legion. I had suggested that from the start. Jon hanging out with his dad's friends is just nonsense. This being different version of the same characters means people will try to find something familiar. When they don't get anything they want or have liked they get disappointed. It's the same situation like that of the supersons-polarshield project. People wanted the damian and the jon from main universe. They didn't get it. They complained. But, that's not the only problem. Bendis's dialogues combined with number of characters is pretty hard to read through sometimes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •