Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I really feel like, instead of getting to read Jon doing every damn thing he can think of to avoid the orientation, issue after issue, until we are left wondering if the lad is perhaps illiterate or something and desperately trying to keep everyone from figuring it out, Bendis should have pushed for a single issue 'Orientation Book' that gives a half-page or so to each Legionnaire, in the style of the old DC Who's Who series, and a few pages devoted to locations like 'planet Gotham' or major players in the new 31st century like daemon Mordru or the Horraz or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I really feel like, instead of getting to read Jon doing every damn thing he can think of to avoid the orientation, issue after issue, until we are left wondering if the lad is perhaps illiterate or something and desperately trying to keep everyone from figuring it out, Bendis should have pushed for a single issue 'Orientation Book' that gives a half-page or so to each Legionnaire, in the style of the old DC Who's Who series, and a few pages devoted to locations like 'planet Gotham' or major players in the new 31st century like daemon Mordru or the Horraz or whatever.
    Yeah, two issues in, and I’m no closer to figuring out who’s who.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    An orientation book would be kind of cool. If Bendis can’t figure out how to get Jon to orientation at least let the rest of us try.

The Bendis speak was bad this issue. It was very noticeable during the Mordu-Saturn girl scene

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    An orientation book would be kind of cool. If Bendis can’t figure out how to get Jon to orientation at least let the rest of us try.
    This is the kind of book that prays for supplemental material - whether in back pages or online as a feature of the book - make it an AR comic book with a QR code with actual frinctenheim boxes or whatever that's called! Stick a website url in there in interlac so we can look up stuff rather than take up pages of the book explaining stuff weighing down any story momentum. You know, future ****...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This is the kind of book that prays for supplemental material - whether in back pages or online as a feature of the book - make it an AR comic book with a QR code with actual frinctenheim boxes or whatever that's called! Stick a website url in there in interlac so we can look up stuff rather than take up pages of the book explaining stuff weighing down any story momentum. You know, future ****...
    Having a URL hidden in Interlac to an official Legion webpage would make sense, with supplementary information online. As you say, future ****. It'd be totally on-theme for the Legion, in particular, to break this ground and enter the 21st century.

With every solicit im surprise we dont see FINAL ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    With every solicit im surprise we dont see FINAL ISSUE
    Why would you think that ? I'm genuinely curious here. And a little (read, a lot) inebriated, so sorry for any typos ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Why would you think that ? I'm genuinely curious here. And a little (read, a lot) inebriated, so sorry for any typos ;p
    Idk I'm kinda disappointed....the storyline and characters seem incoherent and has little to no direction
    GrindrStone(D)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Idk I'm kinda disappointed....the storyline and characters seem incoherent and has little to no direction
    It's a whole lot of running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and I'm getting the same vibe from the latest batch of Young Justice where they are just falling through worlds with no control of their circumstances and no time to really address anything before getting crapped out into the next multiversal show piece. It's kind of exhausting, because they don't seem to be going anywhere, narratively, just flashing through backdrops like the comic book equivalent of a clip show, and it feels like, after three issues of nobody even really being able to finish more than a sentence before the next interruption, that it's a little too 'ADD' for me.

I get that it's totally on-theme for Jon to be overstimulated with meeting all these new people, in this fantastic new setting, but he hasn't even *met* most of them yet, and the first time he's given a moment to get his bearings, he flits off to the past to grab an old friend, which sounds a lot to me like *he doesn't like being there very much, and is more comfortable with his old friends.* He runs (flies, time travels, whatev) straight back to what's comfortable and familiar and brings it to this new place like a safety blanket, a little bit of home to reassure, and I totally get that, since he's been all-but shanghaied into this future anyway.

It's a very weird sort of development, from a narrative stance, even totally understandable, from a 'how people react to overwhelmingly weird situations' stance.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    The direction for the arc is aquaman's trident and missing oceans. The main arc for the story is jon's big need in the future. I wouldn't say its directionless. It might be uninteresting for you, but that's different.

Astonishing Member

So we'll be learning more about the Bendis-exclusive Legionnaires -- Fate, Golden Lantern and Monster Boy in issue #5. Happy to see a focus on a smaller group in that issue.

https://www.cbr.com/legion-of-super-...t-bendis-sook/

With everyone's hurry to get Damian back to the past ASAP, it left me wondering if this had to do with the future we saw in Batman #666 in some manner.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    So we'll be learning more about the Bendis-exclusive Legionnaires -- Fate, Golden Lantern and Monster Boy in issue #5. Happy to see a focus on a smaller group in that issue.

https://www.cbr.com/legion-of-super-...t-bendis-sook/
    Yeah, that intrigues me. I'm particularly keen to know how an alien mindset works in synch with Nabu, if Nabu's even still a part of the whole Fate mythos. Ditto if Monster Boy can turn into the various colorful and dorky monsters from Silver Age Legion stories, like an Earthquake Beast or Lightning Beast of Korbal or that giant invisible 'space eagle' from the very first Legion story where they 'test' and reject Superboy.

Gold Lantern, I'm kind of eh over. Ultra Boy and Brainiac 5, at minimum, seem to be able to make light/energy constructs in this Legion already, so I'm not sure what a Lantern brings to the table, powers wise. Still, there being yet another new spectrum of Lanterns out there 1000 years in the future, makes sense, since they've gone from one to eight in the last decade alone.

"I'm Tenor Lantern, from the Tenor Corps. This is Contralto Lantern. Our Power Earrings draw power from the different aural frequencies of sound..."

"Oh, that's cool. I'm Cajun-Blackened Seasoning Lantern, from the Taste Lanterns. And the mean girl is Salt Lantern."

"Wait, there's a Taste Spectrum"

"Shut up. Your teammates get their powers from the Red, Green, Grey, Speed Force, Still Force, Sage Force, etc.!"

BANNED

This issue reminds me why I am not a fan of the Legion of Superheroes as they’re so manipulative to preserve their future and have a bit of a dislike when it concerns other superheroes that aren’t within the Superman family.