Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65
  1. #31
    Astonishing Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    3,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    They should have had entirely new legacy legion. I had suggested that from the start. Jon hanging out with his dad's friends is just nonsense. This being different version of the same characters means people will try to find something familiar. When they don't get anything they want or have liked they get disappointed. It's the same situation like that of the supersons-polarshield project. People wanted the damian and the jon from main universe. They didn't get it. They complained. But, that's not the only problem. Bendis's dialogues combined with number of characters is pretty hard to read through sometimes.
    No. Because then the same fans would complain that it's not their Legion anyway. There is no appeasing them, so Bendis should write what he wants to write. If it doesn't meet its audience, that's a shame because the book is really great so far. But if it tanks, it won't be because of Bendis or his new take on the characters, but older fans going out of their way to shot down this attempt at a fresh, modern and actually in tune with the current world, LOSH.

  2. #32
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    No. Because then the same fans would complain that it's not their Legion anyway. There is no appeasing them, so Bendis should write what he wants to write. If it doesn't meet its audience, that's a shame because the book is really great so far. But if it tanks, it won't be because of Bendis or his new take on the characters, but older fans going out of their way to shot down this attempt at a fresh, modern and actually in tune with the current world, LOSH.
    No, they won't. have the original legion around and give them important roles and advance them as characters. That's it. Honestly, legacy legion is something dc should have thought of first. Its always something they did. Have superman be there as a guest lecturer on legion school. Have the older legion be teachers, seniors and mentors who have moved on to bigger things in life with new legion meeting and learning things.

  3. #33
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    No. Because then the same fans would complain that it's not their Legion anyway. There is no appeasing them, so Bendis should write what he wants to write. If it doesn't meet its audience, that's a shame because the book is really great so far. But if it tanks, it won't be because of Bendis or his new take on the characters, but older fans going out of their way to shot down this attempt at a fresh, modern and actually in tune with the current world, LOSH.
    I wouldn't say that older fans are the only possible reason why this book could tank.

    I mean, the way Bendis writes the piled up dialogues can be quite frustrating and annoying.

    I have ended up hating this, although I had been really positive about this book when it was announced.
    Last edited by Konja7; 01-15-2020 at 03:03 AM.

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    I thought the issue was much better than the other two. I think we're finally getting to know some of the characters better.
    I do have to wonder at some of the creative team's choices. The panels are already crowded with tons of characters, who thought it was a good idea to have all those character charts clogging up panel space? Way too busy and useless, since they're not even readable.

  5. #35
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I thought the issue was much better than the other two. I think we're finally getting to know some of the characters better.
    I do have to wonder at some of the creative team's choices. The panels are already crowded with tons of characters, who thought it was a good idea to have all those character charts clogging up panel space? Way too busy and useless, since they're not even readable.
    My main problem with the character charts is exactly what you said, they make it a point that us readers can't even read them. I don't get the point? A lot of us readers are just as confused and new to this world as Jon is, so it would have been helpful having those name tags showing when needed. I think it's a great idea, but bad execution.


    But I did enjoy this issue, has me very excited to read some origins next issue.

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    They should have had entirely new legacy legion. I had suggested that from the start. Jon hanging out with his dad's friends is just nonsense.
    And yet, is he? Has Clark ever met any of *this* Legion before? The Legion that Superman hung out with as a teen should be his age (assuming that time has passed for them, between when they hung out with Superboy-Clark, and when they decided to go grab his son), and that would be even creepier, a bunch of 40-somethings gushing about how great it is to hang out with this teenager...

    I feel like this Legion is meant to be completely different people than the ones that Clark may or may not have met in the past (depending on whether or not he even *had* a past as Superboy or met the Legion at all. I've lost track of whether that's in or out of continuity this week.).

  7. #37
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    And yet, is he? Has Clark ever met any of *this* Legion before? The Legion that Superman hung out with as a teen should be his age (assuming that time has passed for them, between when they hung out with Superboy-Clark, and when they decided to go grab his son), and that would be even creepier, a bunch of 40-somethings gushing about how great it is to hang out with this teenager...

    I feel like this Legion is meant to be completely different people than the ones that Clark may or may not have met in the past (depending on whether or not he even *had* a past as Superboy or met the Legion at all. I've lost track of whether that's in or out of continuity this week.).
    Dude, read doomsday clock. This is the legion that clark "remembered" at the end.who is saying that it isn't creepy? Jon is friends with his dad's childhood friends.That's why a legacy legion would have been far better.
    No,legion won't be 40 because time travel. The go back second time to fetch his son after only 4 or 5 years after they fetched their father.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-15-2020 at 05:36 AM.

  8. #38
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,138

    Default

    Third issue was better helping us get to know some of the members a bit, seeing smaller groups of them on missions. They still don't come across as the most competent. I look forward to seeing their origin and why they're given any authority, given their apparent lack of being able to handle stuff.

    Interlac stuff this issue:
    -- dawnstar tied with lightning lass as the most popular legionnaire among children of the galactic. dawnstar has been the most outspoken member of the team on the subject of what the role of the united planets should be. while president brande has made a strong case for a firmer hand, dawnstar feels that power will only corrupt. "it is the only lesson history has taught us over and over."
    -- dawnstar merchandise available now. think here.
    -- do not feed the drakes. seriously.
    -- we live by the code of the bat
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-15-2020 at 07:52 AM.

  9. #39
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    And yet, they aren't the same old characters either. They deserve to be treated as new characters, because, in essence, that's what they are. They are not the dated Legion of Superheroes of yesterdecade, leaving in the vision of the future that peoples in the 60's or 70's envisioned. Their sensibilities must be different, their characters too.
    You keep saying dated, but something tells me that you haven't read much of the Legion and therefore have no basis for calling it dated.

    And older fans requiring Bendis to write them in the way they want to read them (ie, as they were in previous iterations of the team) are actively hurting the series and their own enjoyment of it. It's like the New 52 all over again. THose were -and those are - new characters, for all intent and purpose. If you don't like it, you've got troves of older material to read, but constantly bashing the series when its third issue will only be out later today is either dumb or a willing act of spite.
    If memory serves, the New 52 didn't work out too great. In fact it failed. Badly. In part because they radically changed characters to the point where they were unrecognizable. DC should learn its lesson. Like it or not, Legion fans are who you're marketing this book to and Legion fans include those who read the book up to 2011 when the classic Legion was around. So, this is not people clinging to a "dated version of the future." This is just people wanting their favorite characters back.

  10. #40
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    My main problem with the character charts is exactly what you said, they make it a point that us readers can't even read them. I don't get the point? A lot of us readers are just as confused and new to this world as Jon is, so it would have been helpful having those name tags showing when needed. I think it's a great idea, but bad execution.
    Funny that you mention that because Bendis actually sheds some light on it. https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...89874470834176

    Question: "I'm loving the new Legion of Superheroes. The only issue I'm having is trying to read the little box with their names. Can we get old roll call that the Legions was also known for when you open the first page?"

    Bendis: "those tags are for the #LegionOfSuperHeroes, not you! BUT if you zoom in on the fritchman tags, it's all there! but yes, we will be releasing all this and so much more. we're creating a Legion hub to share it all with you! issue 3 this week!"

    I actually think it's kind of funny how the tags are legitimately in-universe world building, and they're actually for the characters and not the readers, but a reader can do some detective work to get a look. So be on the look out for when this new "Legion hub" thing drops. I imagine it'll be after Jon watches the orientation (which is likely the next two issues we're heading into).
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    Who tryina throw some hands in SFV or Granblue Fantasy Vs?

  11. #41
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Interlac stuff this issue:
    -- dawnstar tied with lightning lass as the most popular legionnaire among children of the galactic. dawnstar has been the most outspoken member of the team on the subject of what the role of the united planets should be. while president brande has made a strong case for a firmer hand, dawnstar feels that power will only corrupt. "it is the only lesson history has taught us over and over."
    -- dawnstar merchandise available now. think here.
    -- do not feed the drakes. seriously.
    -- we live by the code of the bat
    Thank you so much for that. Hope you don't mind I post it over in the Superman section. I'll credit you though of course.

    Really, really digging the Dawnstar love and the world building too. Between the name tags and translating interlac, I really like that some of the world building is an active experience that the reader can straight up miss if they're not careful.

    If Bendis' Legion skips forward in time like in 5 Years Later at some point, I wonder if Dawnstar will be elected president of the UP?
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    Who tryina throw some hands in SFV or Granblue Fantasy Vs?

  12. #42
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    If memory serves, the New 52 didn't work out too great. In fact it failed. Badly. In part because they radically changed characters to the point where they were unrecognizable. DC should learn its lesson. Like it or not, Legion fans are who you're marketing this book to and Legion fans include those who read the book up to 2011 when the classic Legion was around. So, this is not people clinging to a "dated version of the future." This is just people wanting their favorite characters back.
    Agree completely with this. Somewhere out there, there has to be a writer and an artist who can do what Levitz & Giffen did back in the 80s for the Legion.

  13. #43
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,416

    Default

    Few things I noticed.

    * Rokk is basically Leonardo from TMNT, and it seems that whoever wears the belt buckle is the leader of the Legion.

    * When Wildfire gets put to sleep by Saturn Girl's powers misfiring he actually deflates like a balloon. This is a clever way to indicate that he's still an energy being in a suit.

    * Brainy comes to Damian's defense when Cham call him "baby Hitler". That makes a lot of sense if the idea that Brainy is still a descendant of the OG Brainiac. That's a nice touch.

    * Bendis wasn't kidding about Cosmic Boy and Shadow Lass dating lol

    * Mon-El doesn't seem happy about their union, but if you look back at Legion of Super-Heroes: Millennium you'll see Dream Girl getting pretty friendly with Mon.

    * White Witch has a relatively more formal way of speaking, and her speech balloons are colored distinctly from everyone else's.

    * Ultra Boy seems to be able to direct his Ultra powers in such a way that allows him to erect a barrier.

    * As a small callback to the Waid run, Colossal Boy isn't settled on his name

    * The implication seems to be that Mon-El is a descendant of Jon's in the 31st century.

    * Lighting Lad was surprisingly indifferent to Saturn Girl needed a minute after the nightmare sequence. But Chameleon Boy came to her aid quickly. Maybe Saturn Girl and Lighting Lad already dated, but it ended badly?

    * Dini City is a shout out to creator Paul Dini.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    Who tryina throw some hands in SFV or Granblue Fantasy Vs?

  14. #44
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Third issue was better helping us get to know some of the members a bit, seeing smaller groups of them on missions. They still don't come across as the most competent. I look forward to seeing their origin and why they're given any authority, given their apparent lack of being able to handle stuff.
    Haven't read it yet, but that's a step in the right direction. I don't need to know everything about everybody right away -- but let's learn something about someone. The best way to do that is divide the team in smaller groups for missions.

  15. #45
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    123

    Default

    I started reading the LSH in Adventure Comics way back in 1964 or 65. I'm one of those "older readers" who really loved the original Legion and the Silver Age stories. However, I have no problem the changes made to the group with this new Legion book and am enjoying it very much. It captures the hopefulness of the classic Legion stories, while incorporating the other various era's of DC's future history.

    I have started looking at superhero comics the way I look at Mad Max movies and Wyatt Earp stories -- they're not telling the facts, they're telling the legend. If you're telling the legend to 1960's readers, some things are going to be different than if you're telling the legend to readers 50 or 60 years later.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •