Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    spoilers:
    The gold Wonder Woman kind of reminded me more that I only really think she’s the “lead” here because of the movie (which is advertising the gold armor a lot
    end of spoilers

Otherwise, I mostly echo what you say on Snyder’s take on Diana. Also what I would say about other big writers like Johns or Taylor when it comes to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    I'm not sure if it was intentional synergy, I don't think Snyder's that up on that, but it does seem like a fairly significant coincidence timing-wise.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Both of those require too much forethought. She's literally cased in... METAL. That's it. Snyder's DC cosmic work has largely been very superficial and I see no reason to suspect it's a corporate thing or trying to give her a One Million situation by turning her gold. That's too on the nose. It's just because the book's called Metal and he practically fetishized the concept between this and the last volume.

So she's metal. Stop thinking about it, crank up the decibels and throw up some horns because that's pretty much all that this book seems to want to do. Talk in platitudes about Story^TM and Truth^TM while looking like an 80s thrash metal album cover, but otherwise offer nothing. Each issue is just The Batman Who Sucks doing the same thing while the heroes look around like lemmings to think of where they can find a mcguffin that has a higher item level than the big bad. It's really generic superhero storytelling at kind of its nadir, frankly. Snyder is better than this, but this and his Justice League run have to be the weakest slow burn I've seen in a long time.

Scott seems like one of the most decent dudes in comics, so I don't enjoy shitting on his work, but he really dropped the ball.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-16-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Hmm, Diana's story in the Last 52 Death Metal tie-in wasn't bad if nothing spectacular though like the Tamaki story from Last Stories of the DC Universe doesn't speak well that stuff you'd expect in a "WW event" (character stuff for Diana, the Amazons, Hippolyta, Cheetah) only pop up in the tie-ins.

Looks like also between this and his first issue of JL, Synder's Diana has a bit a dirty mouth.

Well... let’s hope the next “WW event” actually feels like a WW event (and I say that as someone who enjoyed DM)

Lord, what a disappointment. Barely anything to do with WW's character world outside of some "truth" talk that could have just been from Superman with "hope" inserted in place. And now shuffled off as her 80th anniversary starts. At least the blue highlights are gone now.

Needless to say this is not going on the shelf next to Perez or Rucka's WW.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-05-2021 at 09:07 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Now that I've read the entire series, I feel that we were duped by the sales pitch that this was a Wonder Woman focused story beyond it being "technically" correct. I say this because, yes, Diana was the driver and the hero of the story but where were the elements and characters from her world? Sure, one could say it's not necessary to have these things included yet there were plenty of elements from other major characters' worlds like Batman, Superman, Flash, Aquaman, etc. but no Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, Dr. Psycho, Silver Swan, Circe, Dr. Poison, Veronica Cale, Armageddon, Paula Von Gunther, etc. And no, those cameos by Donna, Artemis, and Cheetah don't really count. Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike the story overall but to me, it was a lot like Azzarello's run on the book where the writer basically jettisoned most of Diana's original supporting cast and villains in exchange for other characters.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Well Azz's idea was clearly that these new character would be new supporting cast for future WW runs so I don't see how that is comparable.

From the sound of things, this was as much of a WW event as DARKSEID WAR from Johns' Justice League Luthor run. Is that far off from what you guys saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    From the sound of things, this was as much of a WW event as DARKSEID WAR from Johns' Justice League Luthor run. Is that far off from what you guys saw?
    You just reminded me how Darkseid War was supposed to be Wonder Woman focused .

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Well Azz's idea was clearly that these new character would be new supporting cast for future WW runs so I don't see how that is comparable.
    I doubt he paid that much attention to the future. His run focused more on what was happening to the characters around Diana than Diana herself. He like gww and others, entered the title and put their pet characters as priority over the title character herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    More or less. It's like calling Flashpoint a Batman event or Final Night a Green Lantern event.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-06-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    More or less. It's like calling Flashpoint a Batman event or Final Night a Green Lantern event.

Those are all great comparisons. Again, Death Metal was a good story but I struggle to think of it as a Wonder Woman story with so much of her world missing from it. Heck, even in the build up to Death Metal in Justice League, Cheetah was a member of the Legion of Doom but out of all of its members, she got the least development. I think there should be a new editorial mandate for the Wonder Woman title saying "Work with what's already there. Expand upon and elevate established characters until several of them have a solid foundation. Then writers can possibly look at introducing some new pet characters.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Thought it was OK.

A pleasant enough read but I am now once again confused about DC's ultra convoluted continuity.

What the heck happens to Diana now, and what's her place in this "new" DCU?