Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    So has anyone been following this?

We all kind of saw months ago that despite Snyder's insistence this event was absolutely not Wonder Woman's story at all. But has she been doing anything of relevance?
    Near as I can tell, all Diana's done so far is "kill" the BWL (which only made him stronger), fought Perpetua (completely off panel & nothing accomplished), and given some pep talks.

I've tried looking at the spoilers, but it's just incoherent drivel and always with the same insufferable refrain: "The Batman Who Laughs had a plan for that, too."

So, yeah...anyone feeling Wonder Woman's role in this nonsense?
    If it's anyone's story, it's BMWL's. Only read some of this and she's had a bigger role here than in other events but she's largely a commentary piece/pep-talk giver here. It'd be like calling Blackest Night a Flash event. The only references to her world I can recall coming up amongst others is the Amazons are in some prison dimension and the chainsaw is made from parts of her jet/lasso.

Said it before but I really only think this she has a bigger role here is because WW'84 would have been coming out sometime this started.

So has anyone been following this?

We all kind of saw months ago that despite Snyder's insistence this event was absolutely not Wonder Woman's story at all. But has she been doing anything of relevance?
    Near as I can tell, all Diana's done so far is "kill" the BWL (which only made him stronger), fought Perpetua (completely off panel & nothing accomplished), and given some pep talks.

I've tried looking at the spoilers, but it's just incoherent drivel and always with the same insufferable refrain: "The Batman Who Laughs had a plan for that, too."

So, yeah...anyone feeling Wonder Woman's role in this nonsense?
    I have said this elsewhere but it’s more a dc universe event with Wonder Woman as a lead character instead of a Wonder Woman event. This is not an event that hinges on Wonder Woman as a character or with her history but she has had a big part in how events have gone with leading characters and her actions.

Like she’s creating plans, telling people what to do, and taking part of the main story by leading Batman and Superman who are weakened at the moment. However none of it will hinge of themisycra or Olympus
    Last edited by sifighter; 10-20-2020 at 07:53 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

At least there's no jobbing or Trinity shipping yet. So Synder's got a leg up on Taylor and other writers at least.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    If it's anyone's story, it's BMWL's. Only read some of this and she's had a bigger role here than in other events but she's largely a commentary piece/pep-talk giver here. It'd be like calling Blackest Night a Flash event. The only references to her world I can recall coming up amongst others is the Amazons are in some prison dimension and the chainsaw is made from parts of her jet/lasso.

Said it before but I really only think this she has a bigger role here is because WW'84 would have been coming out sometime this started.

You make some great points here. I agree that this isn't a "Wonder Woman story" as it's still very Bat-centric even though it includes most of the DCU's popular characters. Now if the story had involved Cheetah(more than a few cameos), Giganta, Queen Clea, Dr. Cyber, Dr. Poison, Dr. Psycho, Silver Swan, the Queen of Fables, Paula Von Gunther, or a few other Wonder-rogues, I would say it's a Wonder Woman story but so far, Diana is just one of several characters in the spotlight.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    At least there's no jobbing or Trinity shipping yet. So Synder's got a leg up on Taylor and other writers at least.
    She jobbed for King Robin who’s a 12-year-old Bruce Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    That’s what I get for not reading past issue #2.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    To be fair this applies to a lot more characters than Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    To be fair this applies to a lot more characters than Diana.
    Yeah, I would recommend being careful asking Blue Beetle fans how they feel about Robin King.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Thing is I don't even necessarily mind the event has nothing to do with Diana's lore or characters. It'd be cool if she did get an event that really was about her world (and didn't suck like Amazons Attack), but for me, if you're going to say something is "her story," that suggests that her actions are moving the plot, her prominence has a meaningful & important pay-off, and ideally it's punctuated with impressive, memorable feats.

I haven't really been seeing that with Death Metal. Yeah, she's leading the heroes and giving them all pep talks, but is it going to amount to anything? Technically, she "led" the heroes into battle in the Justice League movie, and we all know how that turned out. Virtually every development in the plot is purely "The Batman Who Laughs or some other evil version of Batman saw this coming."
    She's a glorified narrator who hasn't done anything of actual value yet.

The sad thing is that would still make this a better portrayal/use of Diana than the average DC event. I still think about how Grant Morrison had to apologize for how he treated her in Final Crisis.

Now, granted, the story isn't over and maybe this is all leading to a big payoff where Diana's leadership and heroics do prove critical to defeating the BWL and/or saving the multi-verse.
    But I've little faith. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're being set-up for disappointment. I don't think Snyder is going to deliver.

Snyder’s endings are typically weak so you may be right lol.

Tamaki's writing a WW story in a Death Metal tie-in. Hopefully Max isn't in it.

Hope it's better than DC's last "what would the heroes do before a big battle they might not survive" story, Last Will & Testament.

Anyone remember that? Where Diana's bit depicted her as completely out of touch and not understanding why Donna would want to hold onto her wedding ring? That featured Donna hilariously pointing out she "doesn't know crap about love"?

Good times.

But hey, so the big finale is coming. Can't wait to see Wonder Woman be completely ineffectual against the Bat-Cenobite Who Laughs.

Hope it's better than DC's last "what would the heroes do before a big battle they might not survive" story, Last Will & Testament.

Anyone remember that? Where Diana's bit depicted her as completely out of touch and not understanding why Donna would want to hold onto her wedding ring? That featured Donna hilariously pointing out she "doesn't know crap about love"?

Good times.

But hey, so the big finale is coming. Can't wait to see Wonder Woman be completely ineffectual against the Bat-Cenobite Who Laughs.
    I'm just counting the days to where Diana finally ditches those blue highlights at this point.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Wonder Woman: War of the Gods #1 preview: