Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Snyder's upcoming Death Metal is supposedly Wonder Woman focused

So, has anyone else read the rumor from Bleeding Cool that Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's sequel to Dark Knights: Metal, apparently called Death Metal is going to have a strong focus on Wonder Woman?

Here's a snip from the article:

I am told to expect something with a focus on Wonder Woman. For it not to be the 5G-focussed book that some in editorial may want – but that it may lead into an ageing of central characters, such as Superman and Batman along the new timeline – and will include a line about Dr Manhattan’s messing with reality. But mostly to expect the same kind of everything-including-the-kitchen-sink riotousness that was a trademark of the original...
    There's also, supposedly, going to be solicitations for this book in the upcoming DC comics solicitations, so maybe we'll get Diana in the synopsis or on a cover.

What do you guys think of this? Did you guys read Metal? It introduced the Dark Multiverse and negative Earths, along with Barbatos and the different, evil Batmen and The Batman Who Laughs (who's still in Prime Earth currently).

On top of Diana being a focus in the book, there's mention of it being a lead-in towards the aging of the characters in the new DC timeline without being 5G focused (thank God).

Not to mention that Scott Snyder is writing for Wonder Woman #750, and is going to be bringing in Diana's origin in this new timeline, so Snyder may have some times between WW #750 and Death Metal? Plus, he said he was done with Batman after Last Knight on Earth, and he has said in the past that he wanted to write a Wonder Woman story, so this may be the time for him to do it, unless he plans on having Diana fall into the JSA book he may end up writing. We can't really be sure if she's there until we get a better idea as to what her new timeline and origin is.

But what do you guys think of Wondy leading the sequel? If Diana's a lead in the book, what do you want from it? I don't think there's going to be evil Wonder Women, since Bleeding Cool also mentions that we're getting two new Batmen, but I think it'd be cool if we did get Wonder Woman versions like Batman did. Or maybe Diana gets to see what she's like in the Dark Multiverse.

But, like someone on Reddit said, please, for the love of God, no mohawk. It's the most generic look you can give Diana in a post-apocalyptic/evil world ;P
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 01-13-2020 at 09:23 PM.

BANNED

The aging is part of 5G. The characters aged in real time when reality gets rewritten.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    The aging is part of 5G. The characters aged in real time when reality gets rewritten.
    Right, but I think when they said Death Metal won't be 5G focused they mean that Snyder isn't planning on talking about the 5G Justice League cast or whatever DC plans on making the status quo when 5G begins. Rumors are that DC wanted Snyder to incorporate more of that into Death Metal, but he was against it and doesn't want it near this book.

According to another rumor, this isn't just a Snyder or Death Metal thing, but a problem inside DC editorial. They're all split on 5G. Apparently tons of writers and staff members aren't interested in 5G and people like Snyder don't want to write it into their works.

Spectacular Member

According to another rumor, this isn't just a Snyder or Death Metal thing, but a problem inside DC editorial. They're all split on 5G. Apparently tons of writers and staff members aren't interested in 5G and people like Snyder don't want to write it into their works.
    How can they expect to do something coherent if they can't agree between themselves ? No wonder people aren't excited about 5G...

So if I get it right here, Snyder doesn't like 5G, will contribute to WW #750, which will launch the Diana of 5G, but he will also write a Wonder Woman-focused Metal followup?

I think my head hurts.

wonder-woman-migraine-650x380.jpg

Will have to see how Snyder writes Wonder Woman. I think he did a good job representing her in Batman: Last Knight on Earth, but it's a far cry from having her as the lead, or doing Wonder Woman world-building.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    So if I get it right here, Snyder doesn't like 5G, will contribute to WW #750, which will launch the Diana of 5G, but he will also write a Wonder Woman-focused Metal followup?

I think my head hurts.

wonder-woman-migraine-650x380.jpg

Will have to see how Snyder writes Wonder Woman. I think he did a good job representing her in Batman: Last Knight on Earth, but it's a far cry from having her as the lead, or doing Wonder Woman world-building.
    I liked how he wrote Diana in Last Knight on Earth, too. His Justice League run hasn’t made much use of her, honestly. What excites me the most is that he’s a big name writer and has interest in writing Wonder Woman. I think that’s something Diana’s been lacking, along with a consistent art team.

I know Death Metal may be more standalone than whatever he writes for Wonder Woman #750, but Dark Knights affected most of the DC universe, even now, so I wonder what will come out of this.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 01-14-2020 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    How can they expect to do something coherent if they can't agree between themselves ? No wonder people aren't excited about 5G...
    It’s still just a rumor, and it may not be as divisive as we all think it is. Or maybe it is, but I think in terms of Death Metal, Snyder just wanted his sequel to be true to the first book he did, and not be unnecessarily bogged down by DC’s big initiative.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I hope it focuses on Diana's original villains instead of her public domain villains. With Snyder supposedly being the one to write about her time in WWII in Wonder Woman #750, maybe he'll put some effort into her Axis villains like Baron Blitzkreig, Zyklon, Armageddon, Gundra the Valkyrie, Red Panzer, Dr. Poison, Sumo the Samurai, & Kung.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I hope it focuses on Diana's original villains instead of her public domain villains. With Snyder supposedly being the one to write about her time in WWII in Wonder Woman #750, maybe he'll put some effort into her Axis villains like Baron Blitzkreig, Zyklon, Armageddon, Gundra the Valkyrie, Red Panzer, Dr. Poison, Sumo the Samurai, & Kung.
    I think a focus on any of her villains would be a win, personally, because it sounds like the antagonists for the Metal sequel are still going to be evil Batmen. Along with the ones we’ve already seen, there’s going to be an alien Batman and a magical Batman.

As far as Snyder’s #750 goes, it’s a must to focus on her Axis villains. Anything else would be almost forced and a failure on Snyder’s part.

Honestly I think Diana works better for the kinds of stories Snyder wants to write these days (big epics with over the top villains as opposed to his more grounded earlier work like Black Mirror). His Diana in JL has been pretty meh but to be fair, the Trinity aren’t really the focus of his JL run. I’m cautiously interested, he did give Diana some cool moments in Metal so we’ll see how he does here. I fully expect Diana to show up in his JSA run so this will be a segue way for him from Batman/JL to WW/JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Honestly I think Diana works better for the kinds of stories Snyder wants to write these days (big epics with over the top villains as opposed to his more grounded earlier work like Black Mirror). His Diana in JL has been pretty meh but to be fair, the Trinity aren’t really the focus of his JL run. I’m cautiously interested, he did give Diana some cool moments in Metal so we’ll see how he does here. I fully expect Diana to show up in his JSA run so this will be a segue way for him from Batman/JL to WW/JSA.
    Good point! I kinda became disinterested in his Justice League because it’s a little too over-the-top, and like you said, the focus isn’t really on the trinity at all—including Diana.

I really do hope this is his segue into Wonder Woman. He’s done with Batman, and with Diana he can tell grand, olympic-level epic stories if he wants to, and if he really wants a team with Diana he can use the JSA and have Diana lead.

As far his writing, his JL run is clearly inspired by the Justice League Unlimited television series, you can see it ooze from his writing and characterizations. I wonder how that’d translate in the JSA. I like Wonder Woman’s characterization from the show, and in turn Snyder’s work, but still hoping for the best obvi.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Right, but I think when they said Death Metal won't be 5G focused they mean that Snyder isn't planning on talking about the 5G Justice League cast or whatever DC plans on making the status quo when 5G begins. Rumors are that DC wanted Snyder to incorporate more of that into Death Metal, but he was against it and doesn't want it near this book.

All fake news. And will do what they editoral says.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    All fake news. And will do what they editoral says.
    Not Snyder. Dude almost got into a fight with Didio waaaaay back at the start of his New 52 Batman run. He pushed back against editorial trying to name Metal “Dark Crisis”. He’s one of those upper tier talents like Hickman, Morrison, and (previously) Johns who has the power to force editorial to accommodate him. I could totally see Snyder stepping back from DC and just playing in his own corner like how Morrison is with TGL.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not Snyder. Dude almost got into a fight with Didio waaaaay back at the start of his New 52 Batman run. He pushed back against editorial trying to name Metal “Dark Crisis”. He’s one of those upper tier talents like Hickman, Morrison, and (previously) Johns who has the power to force editorial to accommodate him. I could totally see Snyder stepping back from DC and just playing in his own corner like how Morrison is with TGL.
    Totally forgot about the Dark Crisis thing! That's why I think there's some merit to these rumors. Some of these writers and artists can play hardball with editorial and get their way.

Spectacular Member

Totally forgot about the Dark Crisis thing! That's why I think there's some merit to these rumors. Some of these writers and artists can play hardball with editorial and get their way.
    And it is not necessarily a good thing. That's how you can have contradiction in the DC Universe...
    I hope he is smart enough to avoid that.