Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    That's kind of what I'm asking. Okay, he's said he's interested in writing Diana and allegedly likes her, but is this going to turn out to be one of those, "Actually, Scott, I'd rather you didn't" situations?
    There’s not much to go off. He wrote her in Last Knight on Earth, and while I think its conclusion was a dud, it was a fun story and he wrote Diana decent enough. She and the other members of the trinity are background characters in his JL run, but it’s very obvious he’s inspired by the JLU television show, so you can base his Wonder Woman characterization off of that. He also wrote her in Wonder Woman #750.

Tons of people think his writing has fallen off after Court of Owls, and tons of people don’t think it has. However his writing is far and away from being actually terrible, and he hasn’t mischaracterized Diana yet.

I feel people have preconceived notions ‘cause of their fatigue of the Batman Who Laughs and the Dark Multiverse. That and the Wonder Woman fanbase has always been picky about Diana’s characterization on violence.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 01-29-2020 at 05:36 PM.

Incredible Member

A chainsaw-sword / lasso of truth! Will wonders never cease?!

I don't know whether it's better or worse than her Wolverine-esque bracelet blades she had for a few issues. It's worse than the "love guns" for sure.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    First look at Diana in the Death Metal/Metal 2 sequel book by Snyder.

Looks like she really is the main character! Yay!
    I'm there for this, looks wacky as hell in the best way.

BANNED

Well given how Superman piggyback on Dark Nights Metal a bit with the whole Batman of the Dark Multiverse, it's about time we see more event tales centered on Wonder woman.

BANNED

Given how many times DC has planned for Batman and Superman and their histories. Maybe this WONDER WOMAN centered Dark Metal sequel will provide the heroine with a further retcon or two of her overall history ?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Given how many times DC has planned for Batman and Superman and their histories. Maybe this WONDER WOMAN centered Dark Metal sequel will provide the heroine with a further retcon or two of her overall history ?
    Well, we know this story ends with WW being the world's first hero so that will definitely happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Well, we know this story ends with WW being the world's first hero so that will definitely happen.
    It' Snyder, so odds are it's going to be "You thought Wonder Woman was the first hero but it was really Omni Woman, the Amazon the other Amazons always knew about but were just TOO SCARED to talk about. Omni Woman is going to use the 7 stones of the Mother of the Endless Pl't D Vice to rewrite the godsphere into a domain where Amazons rule! Wonder Woman then fights Omni Woman for 40 issues."
    Reimagined public domain superheroes in a 1945 that never was!
    Read the superhero webcomic THE POWER OF STARDUST!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    A chainsaw-sword / lasso of truth! Will wonders never cease?!

I don't know whether it's better or worse than her Wolverine-esque bracelet blades she had for a few issues. It's worse than the "love guns" for sure.
    Oh, the chainsaw lasso sword is way better than either of those. For one simple reason; the chainsaw lasso sword is wacky and dumb and over the top on purpose, the others were things people thought were legitimately cool.

Nothing in Metal can be taken seriously. Metal doesn't even take itself seriously. When the book hits just put on some Dio era Sabbath and enjoy the ride.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh, the chainsaw lasso sword is way better than either of those. For one simple reason; the chainsaw lasso sword is wacky and dumb and over the top on purpose, the others were things people thought were legitimately cool.
    That's the thing. Superhero comics largely run on rule of cool, but they used to balance it with quite a bit of levity. But for various reasons (the valid criticism of the superhero genre by Moore and Miller and the market shift to the direct market are probably two big ones) the levity started to loose ground, and it created a set of readers and creators where everything should always be cooler, edgier, or over-the-top.

Scott Snyder might think of it the Chainsaw of Truth as over-the-top silliness. But I can just about guarantee that there are people who will see that chainsaw and tell themselves that it's just the direction that Wonder Woman should go in. And sadly I think some of them work at DC.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I generally like the Dark Multiverse thing. It's a source for universes where things went wrong. Not necessarily horribly wrong even, just bad. It's like all those weird variant stories like "what if Kal-El was raised on Thanagar?" It didn't end well, but it wasn't the sort of universe where it's apocalyptically awful.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    There’s not much to go off. He wrote her in Last Knight on Earth, and while I think its conclusion was a dud, it was a fun story and he wrote Diana decent enough. She and the other members of the trinity are background characters in his JL run, but it’s very obvious he’s inspired by the JLU television show, so you can base his Wonder Woman characterization off of that. He also wrote her in Wonder Woman #750.

Tons of people think his writing has fallen off after Court of Owls, and tons of people don’t think it has. However his writing is far and away from being actually terrible, and he hasn’t mischaracterized Diana yet.

I feel people have preconceived notions ‘cause of their fatigue of the Batman Who Laughs and the Dark Multiverse. That and the Wonder Woman fanbase has always been picky about Diana’s characterization on violence.
    Being inspired by the jl cartoon is not good in my opinion. That show did almost nothing good with Diana and her verse.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    That's the thing. Superhero comics largely run on rule of cool, but they used to balance it with quite a bit of levity. But for various reasons (the valid criticism of the superhero genre by Moore and Miller and the market shift to the direct market are probably two big ones) the levity started to loose ground, and it created a set of readers and creators where everything should always be cooler, edgier, or over-the-top.
    It's also left fans unable to recognize a joke when they see it too. Everything has to be serious and grim, books that actually try to be fun are usually written off as somehow....less. Like, Jimmy Olsen is probably one of the smartest books on the stands right now, but it's Jimmy Olsen in a funny book, and no one is reading it.

Scott Snyder might think of it the Chainsaw of Truth as over-the-top silliness. But I can just about guarantee that there are people who will see that chainsaw and tell themselves that it's just the direction that Wonder Woman should go in. And sadly I think some of them work at DC.
    Oh I wouldn't worry too much. I mean, if Snyder writes Diana's book after Metal 2, he might try to keep it around, but it won't last beyond him. Just like the love pistols and the katars from DCYOU, nostalgia rules all and eventually brings things back to normal.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From Scott Snyder's twitter: "For those asking, this project to be announced tomorrow is a Diana story. But Bruce and Clark play some good backup."

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...68198674305025

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From Scott Snyder's twitter: "For those asking, this project to be announced tomorrow is a Diana story. But Bruce and Clark play some good backup."

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...68198674305025
    Batman backing up Wonder Woman is my favorite!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

SCOOP: Art, Details For Dark Nights Sequel, Death Metal, by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...dc-comics-may/